Well.... looky what i got on ebay part 2

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
recently, I scored a front curbed CF wheel on ebay for $510. Today I picked up a rear with a minor blemish for $1400.

2 down, 2 to go.

At this rate, soon I will be able ditch those signature wheels....

Thanks to my anonymous good friend for the heads up.

Screenshot_20210404-143242_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20210404-143232_eBay.jpg
Sponsored

09cs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Are you going to repair the blems or run as is and not worry about them?

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible

OH3Cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Cobra Convertible
Are you not happy with your Signature wheels? If so - why? I keep eyeing the black with the polished lip.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Are you not happy with your Signature wheels? If so - why? I keep eyeing the black with the polished lip.
If i can run CF wheels on the street, that is the best option. The problem i have with the signature wheels is the powder coat. I ran into an issue (that was my fault) and the solution was "take it to your local powder coat shop". Well, it came out looking like crap. That was a simple gloss black wheel that is not a complex powder coat. Here I have a set of the brushed black for the 500 and they are getting chips from the debris from the cup 2s. Certainly not a durable finish and certainly I cannot take these to my local powder coat shop to get re done. I will keep what I got, but I'm done with Signature.

If i can complete a set of 4 Street CF wheels, why would I run around on aluminum? So, 2 down.... 2 to go.

OH3Cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Cobra Convertible
If you have the $ i get it. I think there is so much Black on the car I was looking for a black spoke and hub with a polished lip. maybe HRE's

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
If you have the $ i get it. I think there is so much Black on the car I was looking for a black spoke and hub with a polished lip. maybe HRE's
In my case, the car was intended to have CF wheels on it. If I can keep the OEM wheels new, I would have no issue using a set that are "beaters" for street and track.

NC252

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dwayne
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro - 2020 GMC Denali HD - 2020 GT500
The problem i have with the signature wheels is the powder coat. I ran into an issue (that was my fault) and the solution was "take it to your local powder coat shop". Well, it came out looking like crap. That was a simple gloss black wheel that is not a complex powder coat. Here I have a set of the brushed black for the 500 and they are getting chips from the debris from the cup 2s. Certainly not a durable finish and certainly I cannot take these to my local powder coat shop to get re done. I will keep what I got, but I'm done with Signature.
Was it the original coating on the wheels from signature that's not durable or the repair from the local shop? I was seriously thinking about getting a set of SV902 in Brushed Bronze Tinted. But a little concerned now, 5K is allot of coin.

09cs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Was it the original coating on the wheels from signature that's not durable or the repair from the local shop? I was seriously thinking about getting a set of SV902 in Brushed Bronze Tinted. But a little concerned now, 5K is allot of coin.
If I remember right, Signature wouldn't repair the powder coat if it was shipped to them, and would not ship the powder coat for a match to the buyer. Or something along those lines

Sponsored
OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
The wheels that I am referring to had the original powder coat from the manufacturer. If you are leaning towards getting them, I would strongly suggest you get something that would be easy to match. I would reach out to a powder coater and show him what color you want. Ask him if he can match it. You would be safer with a gloss or matte solid color instead of an exotic color. Ill tell you right now, if you damage your powder coating, and you chose one of those exotic colors, you should be prepared to buy a whole new wheel because it is VERY unlikely that you will be able to record the wheel and make it look right.

The wheel that I had recoated was gloss black, and as easy as it should have been to match it, it wound up looking like crap.

Terrance came out with a statement and policy that Signature does not and will not report a wheel due to various reasons. I get it, they are not in the business of powdercoating. But understand that if you have an incident with a wheel, you may very well be stuck with a blemish that will not be repairable (to your liking).

Edited to add: Signature wheels are good wheels.... but you have to understand what you are getting. There is no support towards refinishing if you should have an incident.

50 Deep

Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
At this rate, soon I will be able ditch those signature wheels....
T, if you are unhappy with the wheels you can always let me know. I would be happy to buy them back from you.

[/QUOTE]
The Op hit a curb, not a durability issue. Any of the translucent or brushed finishes will be harder to match when compared to a solid color. It’s no different than a Candy color on a car. Some will be easier than others.

If I remember right, Signature wouldn't repair the powder coat if it was shipped to them, and would not ship the powder coat for a match to the buyer. Or something along those lines
You are correct, we do not take wheels back in for repair. It’s an expensive process for clients to have to ship a single or multiple wheels for repair with no guarantee they will match once done. Each mixture of powder coating is done at the time each wheel is made. Slight variances can occur.

The Powder in its raw form does you no good either. We mix each batch at the time it’s used to ensue consistently. If I sent someone the powder there is no guarantee it would match exactly. Furthermore, Whoever is laying it on the wheel has to strip and prep it properly or it will not match. in most cases powder coating all 4 wheels is a more cost and time effective endeavor to ensure they are all the same.

A powder coat and a paint are two completely different compounds to work with. They have different properties when applied to a wheel. Paints can get close, but need to be mixed at that time as they won’t have a long shelf life. Again, this is a process best done by a local contact that can adjust pigments as needed.

All that said we have a large paint supplier with most of our popular colors developing some close paint matches that owners can purchase as needed. This will be close, but not exact.

We do as much as we can to provide necessary support for those who damage wheels. However, when you damage a wheel or get rock chips it’s best to touch up and go locally .

shelbykr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 2009 Shelby GT500KR 2008 Shelby GT-C
Off topic...Are these wheels manufactured in the USA?

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
No, the GT500 wheels had nothing to do with the curb rash. The GT500 wheels are chipping because the cup 2s throw a lot of debris. Throw as much spin on it as you like, but you can't match the powfercoat finish despite what you say if they need to be refinished for whatever reason.

Last edited:

shelbykr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 2009 Shelby GT500KR 2008 Shelby GT-C
Sorry I'll reword the question.
Are Signature wheels manufactured in the USA?
Sponsored