Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Especially since they have been baked once already. Its not good to keep baking aluminum. The lower the temp, the better. Signature will not disclose what temps they use. They say it proprietary.
Sponsored

givemeadollar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 LFP 800
Especially since they have been baked once already. Its not good to keep baking aluminum. The lower the temp, the better. Signature will not disclose what temps they use. They say it proprietary.
Gotta love people not in the paint/refinishing game holding paint/refinishing knowledge as proprietary... Yet another reason not to buy Signature wheels

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Gotta love people not in the paint/refinishing game holding paint/refinishing knowledge as proprietary... Yet another reason not to buy Signature wheels
Nothing against signature. I am just reporting what is fact. The wheels are good and T is a good guy. But the powder coat fiasco is a serious issue that anyone who buys these wheels should be well aware of.

This problem is not specific to Signature. Any powder coated wheel you buy carries the same perils. Again, back to the point of this thread..... A set of beater CF wheels that were made to go with the car (CFTP) is a far better option than aluminum wheels that are quite pricey as well.

Curb an exotic powder coat finish and IMHO you are looking at a new wheel. Lets face it, we are all a little OCD with our cars to some degree.

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020, MT, EU (not quite PP1), Magneride
Nowhere in my posts did I say 200° C being safe. I simply stated what I’ve read and seen as bake temperatures for powder coating and what temperature one sees a dramatic decrease in material strength.
So what was the point of your post, in response to somebody expressing concern about
the effect of powder coating again on the wheel's material strength?

That he is correct in expressing concern, or that there is nothing to worry about?

Alex.Envy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
🤡

pretty sure all wheel companies won't warranty rock chips or curb rash. I haven't met a wheel company that'll go ahead and say "Sure we'll send you some powder coat/paint for touch up!" More than likely if you had chips you'll get them again.

If you don't want to ruin expensive wheels then get some cheaper ones. I've had a set of wheels powder coated 3 different times and haven't seen any damage.

Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
While chips on wheels are always to be expected, the tinted transparent powdercoat on the aforementioned wheels of mine chip more easily than any I've seen to date. OEM painted wheels are never as bad, and the aftermarket set that preceded the tinted ones (standard powder color) also; the chips I'd seen on either set were maybe pin head sized at the most.

Beware those tinted clears....I'll never go there again.

50 Deep

Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Well, I would encourage you to go call any wheel company and ask them what baking temperature, time and process they use for their wheels. In fact, call Apple and ask them what it takes to make their M1 processing chip work or inquire with Amazon about infrastructure they use to manage customer orders.

Proprietary and intellectual knowledge is nothing new. That is why we have patents. I have many threads here in which we provide tons of valuable information. However, there are limits to all things.
Sponsored