You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
Let's be honest, the exposed CF track pack wheels are the cream of the crop. I would want to protect my investment too. Having a spare set, even if previously damaged, is the best way to go. One set as the daily drivers, and the originals kept out of harms way.

I don't think the matching of a repaired wheel is only a Signature Wheel thing, it happens. It would be a great selling point though, being able to repair a VERY expensive wheel, as close to original as possible. Perhaps looking into this as a future option is worth the effort? Someone will offer this option eventually, why not Signature?

Personally I usually like to go aftermarket for only one reason, offset.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
Perhaps looking into this as a future option is worth the effort? Someone will offer this option eventually, why not Signature?
Apex actually offers one of the best warranties (if not the only) I've seen. If anything happens to your wheel you can get it replaced for half off. Even their forged line. Yes, money still comes out of your pocket but at least you know you are somewhat covered. Which is one of the reason I bought wheels from them and plan to buy another set for track next year.

https://www.apexraceparts.com/apex360-wheel-replacement-program

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Apex actually offers one of the best warranties (if not the only) I've seen. If anything happens to your wheel you can get it replaced for half off. Even their forged line. Yes, money still comes out of your pocket but at least you know you are somewhat covered. Which is one of the reason I bought wheels from them and plan to buy another set for track next year.

Yes, there should be some kind of support because things happen. As I said, understand what you are buying before you commit.

As Jamie said, a set of beater CF wheels is the best option. As soon as i get another pair, that will be the direction that I go. What will I do with the signatures? Who knows.... they are not bad wheels, but in a round about way they carry the same problem that the CF wheel does..... wory over damage. The CF wheel can be repaired to just like new where the powder coated aluminum wheel (with an exotic color) cannot be refinished to match.

When I complete my set, I will do another writeup on the repair process just like I did for the GT350R CF wheel that I had repaired.

This thread was not intended to compare aluminum vs CF wheels, but as in any thread, discussions lead in different directions. It is somewhat fortunate that this thread may have made people are aware of the differences along with the pros and cons of each respective wheel.

Alex.Envy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Tom,

What Sig wheels do you have? What are the offsets? I'm assuming it's a 20"? If you're unhappy and the price is right I might buy them off you.

I have no problem getting them powder coated, local coater here has done a lot of SEMA builds and is high quality.

Sponsored

50 Deep

Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R

50 Deep

Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
No, the GT500 wheels had nothing to do with the curb rash. The GT500 wheels are chipping because the cup 2s throw a lot of debris. Throw as much spin on it as you like, but you can't match the powfercoat finish despite what you say if they need to be refinished for whatever reason.
There is no spin.

I mentioned in my posting that touch up paint can only get close, it will not be a direct match. Unless you powder coat all four wheels there is also a chance one could be slightly off.

The same as repainting a fender on your car. It is difficult to match to the existing color.

On this we agree.

50 Deep

Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Tom,

What Sig wheels do you have? What are the offsets? I'm assuming it's a 20"? If you're unhappy and the price is right I might buy them off you.

I have no problem getting them powder coated, local coater here has done a lot of SEMA builds and is high quality.
Dude, you should totally get these. But I think the rear fitment would be too aggressive to tuck under your fender when fully aired out.

50 Deep

Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R

We do the same....

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
Yes, there should be some kind of support because things happen. As I said, understand what you are buying before you commit.

As Jamie said, a set of beater CF wheels is the best option. As soon as i get another pair, that will be the direction that I go. What will I do with the signatures? Who knows.... they are not bad wheels, but in a round about way they carry the same problem that the CF wheel does..... wory over damage. The CF wheel can be repaired to just like new where the powder coated aluminum wheel (with an exotic color) cannot be refinished to match.

When I complete my set, I will do another writeup on the repair process just like I did for the GT350R CF wheel that I had repaired.

This thread was not intended to compare aluminum vs CF wheels, but as in any thread, discussions lead in different directions. It is somewhat fortunate that this thread may have made people are aware of the differences along with the pros and cons of each respective wheel.
My apologies. Didnt mean to throw it off but I agree you are doing the best thing in getting a spare set. Fortunately you have gone through the process of getting CF wheels fixed before so all is not lost on your end. If midway mustang post up a wrecked 500, Ill send a pm your way if you haven't gotten the remaining 2.

We do the same....
damn thats really good to know. great you guys offer that

Sponsored
OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Tom,

On both my GT350Rs, I have the SV902s. Great wheels, but doing it again, I would get them naked and paint them. On my GT500, I have SV801s. I sincerely regret getting the exotic black (triple brushed black or something). There is no matching that finish and there are chips all over.

50 Deep

Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Let's be honest, the exposed CF track pack wheels are the cream of the crop. I would want to protect my investment too. Having a spare set, even if previously damaged, is the best way to go. One set as the daily drivers, and the originals kept out of harms way.

I don't think the matching of a repaired wheel is only a Signature Wheel thing, it happens. It would be a great selling point though, being able to repair a VERY expensive wheel, as close to original as possible. Perhaps looking into this as a future option is worth the effort? Someone will offer this option eventually, why not Signature?

Personally I usually like to go aftermarket for only one reason, offset.
Yes, this would be a great option to have, until you factor in the cost.

For small cosmetic issues the time you spend dismounting a wheel, shipping it, waiting for coating, and then paying for return shipping is not cost or time effective. The aggregate expense and down time is less cost effective than just having us build you a new wheel completely. It also ensures you keep the structural warranty on both the new wheel you received, and the original one you ordered. Assuming of course you cannot have anyone local to you simply touch up areas of concern.

Our team has done the math several times over. Having all four wheels powder coated locally can run $500-$600 and take a matter of days. Our cost would be significantly higher and take several weeks. We are not cost and time effective to refinish wheels.

If you find yourself in a situation where you damage a wheel structurally we always build a new one at a significant discount and prioritize it ahead of other builds to ensure we get you back on the road quickly.

Otherwise there is a vast network of painters of powder coaters in business that can do exactly what you wish.

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Yes, this would be a great option to have, until you factor in the cost.

For small cosmetic issues the time you spend dismounting a wheel, shipping it, waiting for coating, and then paying for return shipping is not cost or time effective. The aggregate expense and down time is less cost effective than just having us build you a new wheel completely. It also ensures you keep the structural warranty on both the new wheel you received, and the original one you ordered. Assuming of course you cannot have anyone local to you simply touch up areas of concern.

Our team has done the math several times over. Having all four wheels powder coated locally can run $500-$600 and take a matter of days. Our cost would be significantly higher and take several weeks. We are not cost and time effective to refinish wheels.

If you find yourself in a situation where you damage a wheel structurally we always build a new one at a significant discount and prioritize it ahead of other builds to ensure we get you back on the road quickly.

Otherwise there is a vast network of painters of powder coaters in business that can do exactly what you wish.
It all sounds nice. Maybe I should post photos of what kind of powder coat job you can expect if you need to get your wheel redone.

Exotic color? Forget about it. You would need to buy a new wheel or live with the attempt to match it up.

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020, MT, EU (not quite PP1), Magneride
It all sounds nice. Maybe I should post photos of what kind of powder coat job you can expect if you need to get your wheel redone.

Exotic color? Forget about it. You would need to buy a new wheel or live with the attempt to match it up.
Sorry, but I don't see your point here. Local shop you took it to did a bad job? Complain to local shop?

As I read the response from signature wheels, even if you were to buy a new wheel from them they will not guarantee an exact match with your previous wheels, unless they still happen to have left over powder coat colour mix from the batch your wheels were part of. Other batches may have a slightly different colour.

Anyone got a square set of cheap 19x11 SVE wheels they want to sell and willing to ship to Europe? Don't care about cosmetic damage. Heck, all four of them may even all be in different colours. ;-)

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Sorry, but I don't see your point here. Local shop you took it to did a bad job? Complain to local shop?

As I read the response from signature wheels, even if you were to buy a new wheel from them they will not guarantee an exact match with your previous wheels, unless they still happen to have left over powder coat colour mix from the batch your wheels were part of. Other batches may have a slightly different colour.

Anyone got a square set of cheap 19x11 SVE wheels they want to sell and willing to ship to Europe? Don't care about cosmetic damage. Heck, all four of them may even all be in different colours. ;-)
My point is that you will never match a powder coat job. NEVER. As I suggested to another member, if you are going to go this route, know exactly what you are getting yourself into. Find a local powder coater.... show him your color..... ask him if he can match it.

I did that with a simple color, gloss black. It doesn't match. Now, throw an eotic powder coat into the mix. You sir are screwed. So the question everyone should be asking is how much will a replacement wheel cost you because re powder coat isn't going to cut it.
Sponsored