Well its been fun s550 family but i sold my 2016 gtpp and bought a 2014 GT500

Carbide

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Race Red w/white stripes Shelby GT350
I nearly bought a 2014 GT500 with low miles one year ago before ultimately buying a new GT350.
Love that generation of GT500. Well done. Enjoy the manual!!!
Congratulations
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Been looking at 2012 B302's myself... and a few other "older" Mustangs.

The way technology is going at this point - I'm not sure the future of sports cars will be all that great. I don't mean it from a drivetrain perspective, because they are pushing gobs of HP today with better refinement in doing so over yesterday's Muscle Cars.

What I'm referring to is the vehicle becoming so full of technology - multiple modules controlling this and that AND tied into everything else down the line,, too many wires, too many circuit boards that are prone to future solder failures, Capacitor failures, cheaply made electronics that don't last all that long, and then we have the Manufacturers making it harder and harder for the average guy/gal to even do simple modifications in their driveway.

I'm sorry but I don't want a future Mustang that is locked down by the Manufacturer, has a much higher potential for "digital" failures and has less "DIY" from an operational, functional and mechanical standpoint - all because it's "high tech".

I mean, digital and tech is great - don't get me wrong - but the cost of repairs WITHOUT any warranty after a Manufacturer's "new car" or any subsequent Powertrain warranty - without having to buy an ESP - will be exponentially higher than ever before. Not to mention the owner or driver being stranded when a module or component fails... and not to mention any future so called "chip shortages" or "supplier shortages" of needed electronic components.

I've seen too many threads on here already with folks having experienced failed digital clusters and other "tied in" tech/electrical components, where those types of failures are more of a headache than it is enjoyment. Plus, sure, out of warranty a digital cluster can be had at salvage or on eBay, but if the person lacks Forscan experience OR can't program the unit (or future modules) themselves - then they're still relying on and having to pay a shop - Ford or other - to do a repair that is going to cost excessively not only for labor rates, but for the actual hard part - be it a digital cluster or some other module or needed circuit board. Then you will also have where the Manufacturer and shops won't want to fix an existing component OR CAN'T because of the electronic integration and they'll label it as a "throwaway" part, that now the consumer HAS to buy the entire part under the mercy of the Manufacturer or shop instead of just a smaller board or module that could have been less costly.

Yes things break or fail prematurely, I get it. But moving ahead, owners are going to find it's going to be much harder to tap into modules or do very simple mods on their own without affecting another unit or "circuit" within the vehicle.

I like my S550 just like the next S550 owner - it's sleek, it has decent tech, it has performance - but prior Mustangs are far easier to add simple things like stereo systems, or to tune, or don't have such a complex engine management systems, or multiple modules tied into each other for a main component to work, etc etc etc.

I'm not saying future tech and the Mustang is bad - I'm just saying, I don't think it's going to be good for those who want to modify on a whim.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels

The way technology is going at this point - I'm not sure the future of sports cars will be all that great. I don't mean it from a drivetrain perspective, because they are pushing gobs of HP today with better refinement in doing so over yesterday's Muscle Cars.

What I'm referring to is the vehicle becoming so full of technology - multiple modules controlling this and that AND tied into everything else down the line,, too many wires, too many circuit boards that are prone to future solder failures, Capacitor failures, cheaply made electronics that don't last all that long, and then we have the Manufacturers making it harder and harder for the average guy/gal to even do simple modifications in their driveway.

I'm sorry but I don't want a future Mustang that is locked down by the Manufacturer, has a much higher potential for "digital" failures and has less "DIY" from an operational, functional and mechanical standpoint - all because it's "high tech".

I mean, digital and tech is great - don't get me wrong - but the cost of repairs WITHOUT any warranty after a Manufacturer's "new car" or any subsequent Powertrain warranty - without having to buy an ESP - will be exponentially higher than ever before. Not to mention the owner or driver being stranded when a module or component fails... and not to mention any future so called "chip shortages" or "supplier shortages" of needed electronic components.

I've seen too many threads on here already with folks having experienced failed digital clusters and other "tied in" tech/electrical components, where those types of failures are more of a headache than it is enjoyment. Plus, sure, out of warranty a digital cluster can be had at salvage or on eBay, but if the person lacks Forscan experience OR can't program the unit (or future modules) themselves - then they're still relying on and having to pay a shop - Ford or other - to do a repair that is going to cost excessively not only for labor rates, but for the actual hard part - be it a digital cluster or some other module or needed circuit board. Then you will also have where the Manufacturer and shops won't want to fix an existing component OR CAN'T because of the electronic integration and they'll label it as a "throwaway" part, that now the consumer HAS to buy the entire part under the mercy of the Manufacturer or shop instead of just a smaller board or module that could have been less costly.

Yes things break or fail prematurely, I get it. But moving ahead, owners are going to find it's going to be much harder to tap into modules or do very simple mods on their own without affecting another unit or "circuit" within the vehicle.

I like my S550 just like the next S550 owner - it's sleek, it has decent tech, it has performance - but prior Mustangs are far easier to add simple things like stereo systems, or to tune, or don't have such a complex engine management systems, or multiple modules tied into each other for a main component to work, etc etc etc.

I'm not saying future tech and the Mustang is bad - I'm just saying, I don't think it's going to be good for those who want to modify on a whim.
Very true.

Electrical complexity and future reliability was one of many, many reasons for me dumping my notion of getting a current GT500 as a forever car. Even my '15 is quite a bit simpler than the latest equivalent S550s, but the complexity is still a concern with this car as well. What's it going to be like in another 10 years, even though it's largely a garage queen? Current thoughts are that my '15 might possibly be the last Mustang I buy new.

Having already had a '07 GT500, I wouldn't want to go back to one of them unless it was the '11-'14 cars with the aluminum block (better handling, but light years from a S550); they're hideously expensive if you need to do engine work though, the Shelby tax is real. A B302 has been a thought (make mine a '13) but prices are dumb right now. My current bucket/hunting list is various Fox bodies and SN95s that I missed out on, and the bonus with these is that I can keep them running indefinitely.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
...I don't know if I would brag about buying an 8 yo car???????
If low miles, how about age related breakdown of wires, seals and other
electronic items and parts?
That's a worry, at like.....20 years. And if it's left outside all the time.

That was probably garage kept, and it's only 8 years old.

That car is a monster. A 200MPH monster. S197s are much, much livelier and more entertaining to drive, in comparison to S550s. They're basically trying to kill you at every turn, and that's helluva exciting.

stanger1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2013 Shelby GT500-Sold, 2017 Roush RS3
I can respect your decision, but I actually sold my 2013 Shelby GT500 with everything but the glass Roof and got my current 2017 Roush RS3 as in my picture to the left.
Yes, the 13-14 GT500 are the last of the True Carroll Shelby influence.
They are very nice, torque masters, great transmissions, etc.
But the live axel compared to the IRS of the S550 platform was a game changer for me.
Plus the 5.0 Coyote is an incredible engine and mine is Phase 2 and if they pop, rebuilding is cheap compared to the 5.8 in the 13-14 GT500. I was always worried about that. Not that it would ever happen.
Plus the 13-14 GT500's are selling now for new prices.
You will enjoy that Car.
Yes, I had always wanted a GT500, so I did that.

Sponsored

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium
Yeah, who'd want this piece of crap? :cwl:

1649291692597.png
I mean, I'll take it off their hands for $1.00 if they absolutely must get rid of something like that.

Toretto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Iconic Silver
I have always wanted a gt500 but never had the means to buy one new but I saved up paid my 16 off and bought this 2014 GT500 track pack performance pack. I will still hang around here and check in im eager to see the 7th gen but I'm afraid the pennacle will still be the 13-14 in my eyes. The gt500 has 7300 miles on it and the 16 had 24k miles i bought it new in 16.

20220314_183318.jpg

6d7a25f455b853c843735db8acb5768b4e332cce-14.jpg

6d7a25f455b853c843735db8acb5768b4e332cce-54.jpg

b6e59c09f0a788538075d8c164e8ff1c74a9dc95-24.jpg

b6e59c09f0a788538075d8c164e8ff1c74a9dc95-34.jpg

6d7a25f455b853c843735db8acb5768b4e332cce-34.jpg

b6e59c09f0a788538075d8c164e8ff1c74a9dc95-44.jpg

20220314_183330.jpg

20210312_125854.jpg
Congrats on the shelby! I loved my S197 (even though it was an '08 V6), much more "raw" of a car than the S550's. Something as simple as the gauge cluster; I wished Ford did a similar analog cluster on the S550's as they did on these '14's....look far more retro and clean.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
....the gauge cluster; I wished Ford did a similar analog cluster on the S550's as they did on these '14's....look far more retro and clean.
I'm confused. Ford does a very similar analog cluster, and your car has it.

It's the best part of the S550, IMO. The analog gauges are awesome.

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
In 25 years (or more) you will still be able to buy the parts you need to run/restore your first gen Mustang. Will you be able to do that for your S550? Maybe, but someone here was looking for a charcoal cannister for, I think, a 2008/09 and it was NLA. My biggest concern with my car is something electronic going crap in 10 years and not being able to replace and/or fix it, or fixing it costs an exorbitant amount.

That's a nice looking GT500 by the way.

Toretto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Iconic Silver
I'm confused. Ford does a very similar analog cluster, and your car has it.

It's the best part of the S550, IMO. The analog gauges are awesome.
I don't think they're similar at all:

2014:
2014.jpg

2021:
2021.jpg

I just find the S550 analog gauges to be bland/plain, while the 2014's have more retro vibes mixed with new. That's just my personal opinion.

Sponsored

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
In 25 years (or more) you will still be able to buy the parts you need to run/restore your first gen Mustang. Will you be able to do that for your S550? Maybe, but someone here was looking for a charcoal cannister for, I think, a 2008/09 and it was NLA. My biggest concern with my car is something electronic going crap in 10 years and not being able to replace and/or fix it, or fixing it costs an exorbitant amount.

That's a nice looking GT500 by the way.
We said the same thing about the fox body, now there are restoration parts available with more showing up regularly. We thought EFI was the end of hot rodding, now look where we are. CAN bus? Forscan. Anybody who thinks one particular innovation is the end of it all hasn't been paying attention.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
I don't think they're similar at all:

2014:
2014.jpg

2021:
2021.jpg

I just find the S550 analog gauges to be bland/plain, while the 2014's have more retro vibes mixed with new. That's just my personal opinion.
The S550 gauges actually have the GROUND SPEED part. That's real retro right there.

stanger1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2013 Shelby GT500-Sold, 2017 Roush RS3
One thing for sure is if I had keep my 13, I would have done the 3:73 rear gears as the stock 3:31 is just too tall.
I thought it would really come alive with the 3:73's.

charlied

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Escape Limited
One thing for sure is if I had keep my 13, I would have done the 3:73 rear gears as the stock 3:31 is just too tall.
I thought it would really come alive with the 3:73's.
[/QUOTE]

I had a 2013 gt track pack with 4.10s, long tubes, cat delete, It was very fun to drive. 3.73 probably has a more useful 1st gear lol

Last edited:

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT

Meh, cars have been electronic sandwiches for 20 years now. Yeah, cars are becoming more complex, and I don't look forward to having to replace my direct injectors in 10 years. DI injector failures can straight up kill a motor, so while it's not a maintenance item it's something that I think is wise to replace around 100K. At least for my own peace of mind. But a lot of the things that commonly break like intake manifold runners and solenoids and such have already been around for quite some time. Computer wise, I think computer modules are actually more robust now because many of them use solid capacitors instead of electrolytic which greatly increases their lifespan.

The real issue though is software as you allude to. Manufacturers will continue to lock things down.
Sponsored