Well, it finally happened... rear ended after 7 years

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
Hey folks, well after 7 years of keeping my car near perfect (not even a door ding), got rear-ended yesterday. Was taking my son home from school, stopped to let a kid cross the street. The car behind me stopped (brand new Toyota 4 runner, lady had purchased it only a week ago), but the young kid behind her (early 2000s Jeep Grand Cherokee) slammed into her, pushing her into me. We were all OK, and the kid was honest and asked about our well being first. Very commendable. Car is fully drivable showing no ill effects except that the trunk does not close, top went up and down with no issues. No airbag deployment.

My question is, how bad is this? Looking online it looks like the rear vertical metal that is crumpled is replaceable separate from the unibody, but not sure what others who have gone through this type of repair have experienced. We can tell that the drivers rear panel is forward just enough to contact the back edge of the door, trunk lid is damaged, one rear tail light, and the metal above the rear bumper is pushed forward a good 3-4 inches. According to KBB, my car is worth (pre-accident) between $26k and $30k.

So, what are the chances that it is repairable vs. totaled? I know having a non-damage repaired car is better, but I could never replace this car exactly (my name is on the window sticker, wanted the 50 year 'vert with manual in DIB). Thanks in advance!
20220422_150758.jpg
20220422_150754.jpg
20220422_150807.jpg
20220422_150814.jpg
Sponsored

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
It's definitely not totaled.
I had similar damage, maybe not quite as bad but similar, about a year ago and repair cost was under $6k. I'd be surprised if yours exceeds $9k ish.

OP
OP
cbrookre

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
that makes me feel a bit better about it. Thanks for taking the time. :)

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Both rear 1/4 panels should tell the story, but it looks easily fixable from the pics provided.

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
521989DF-A906-4FEC-904A-E1F5BAB97132.jpeg

This came out to around $14k and my value was similar to yours pre-accident. Granted, I sold it as soon as it was repaired becauseI was no longer confident in the rear end.
I think youā€™ll be good. Make sure you do a Diminished Value claim in addition to the repairs.

Sponsored

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP Whipple Stage 2
Hey folks, well after 7 years of keeping my car near perfect (not even a door ding), got rear-ended yesterday. Was taking my son home from school, stopped to let a kid cross the street. The car behind me stopped (brand new Toyota 4 runner, lady had purchased it only a week ago), but the young kid behind her (early 2000s Jeep Grand Cherokee) slammed into her, pushing her into me. We were all OK, and the kid was honest and asked about our well being first. Very commendable. Car is fully drivable showing no ill effects except that the trunk does not close, top went up and down with no issues. No airbag deployment.

My question is, how bad is this? Looking online it looks like the rear vertical metal that is crumpled is replaceable separate from the unibody, but not sure what others who have gone through this type of repair have experienced. We can tell that the drivers rear panel is forward just enough to contact the back edge of the door, trunk lid is damaged, one rear tail light, and the metal above the rear bumper is pushed forward a good 3-4 inches. According to KBB, my car is worth (pre-accident) between $26k and $30k.

So, what are the chances that it is repairable vs. totaled? I know having a non-damage repaired car is better, but I could never replace this car exactly (my name is on the window sticker, wanted the 50 year 'vert with manual in DIB). Thanks in advance!
20220422_150758.jpg
20220422_150754.jpg
20220422_150807.jpg
20220422_150814.jpg
Doesn't look that bad. Trunk, trunk panel, Bumper, diffuser and any hidden damages. Good Luck

OP
OP
cbrookre

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Both rear 1/4 panels should tell the story, but it looks easily fixable from the pics provided.
The drivers one is tweaked right at the back near the tail lights, maybe a 2x2 inch area, and pushed forward just enough to barely touch the back of the driver's door. The passenger quarter appears totally undamaged.

Thanks!

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Sorry to see, glad everyone is ok.

Yea, definitely not a total claim at all. Mostly cosmetic and the bumper crash bar looks toworked like it should.

If you don't see any kinks in the rear 1/4's on either side, it's a clean fix. Definitely push for diminished value now, because even though you weren't at fault, most accidents do get reported through VIN reporting agencies like CarFax. So if you were to sell later down the road and someone runs a report, it could show as a blem.

oneheadlite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 2008 Saturn Sky Redline
...my first accident was when I wasn't paying attention to a
left turner in front of me.
He stopped to wait on traffic and I plowed into his car; a loooooong
Chevy Impala. Around a '66 model.
I shortened that thing about 4'. It hurts to rear-end another car.
I was in my '71 Maverick Grabber @ about 55 mph.............................:curse:

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma

Sponsored
OP
OP
cbrookre

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Initial estimate of $7k but more than likely around $10k. Glad it will be fixable, and found a great local shop. Now the ~2 month wait for it to be fixed.

Jeffsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Mustang gt 2008
Best of luck. Hope itā€™s back on the road soon. This is what you call really getting rear ended. They had to pull my wife out of the driver side window to get her out but she was able to walk away from this one without a scratch. Built Ford Tough šŸ¤£

A8A4DF4B-F89D-4516-9828-D06ED6C63D1F.jpeg

TundraOnKings

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
T
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT PP1 A10, '20 Armada,'15 Tundra,14' GS350F
Dang! That sucks! Sorry to hear (especially to a local Spudder). šŸ˜‰
Out of curiosity, did you stop to let someone cross in an area that didnā€™t have a cross-walk?
I never stop for people to cross when theyā€™re arenā€™t crossing in a safe, well-known crossing area, for this reason. I always worry about people behind me not stopping. šŸ˜£
Use Leifā€™s for the repairs!

I also agree with the poster above me on DV.

_zOmbIE_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Badlands, 22 GT Prem PP
Make sure you get "diminished value" from the insurance company as the car now has an accident on carfax and you will not get as much for it.
Wish I'd known about that years ago when I put an insurance claim in for a smash and grab on my S197, lol.
Sponsored