Sponsored

Well, I'm certainly an idiot. Need advice.

LOL WUT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT
So every now and then you come across a thread and you think "how is this person really so stupid?" Unfortunately today I am that person.

I swapped my new 170* Tstat in the car this evening and before calling it good I decided to rinse off the coolant that had spilt. Now here comes the idiot part. I hadn't put the air intake tube back on yet and noticed that a small amount of water went right past the TB and yep into the motor. Pause here for hysterical laughter.

Laugh some more.

Now, what do I do? Can I drain the oil add new and call it good? Really at a loss for words at how stupid I am right now. I'm not sure if it's the sleep depravation or what but I'm beyond pissed at myself and need some guidance.

I searched online but it appears I'm the only person foolish enough to do this. :headbonk::headbonk:
Sponsored

cyandhappiness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Premium PP
Remove all of the spark plugs and spin the motor over with the starter, the water will be thrown out by the piston. dry out the TB (might rust?) and change the oil afterward.

Some expert might want to get in on this because I haven't done that on the mustang.

cdenoma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EcoBoost Premium/PP
How much water went in? If it's a small amount it will likely burn off and be okay. An oil change wouldn't hurt though. I'll let someone with more experience chime in though.

OP
OP

LOL WUT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT
I would say about 1/4 of a cup.

Zenkem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 PPP GT Mustang
Remember liquid doesn't compress, depending on the amount you could risk blowing a head gasket. So, I would say cyandhappiness idea is your best bet...

Sponsored

SoCalTim

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Sold : 15 GT
I'd remove all the water from the engine by removing all spark plugs and pumping cylinders out by cranking engine over. Next change the oil and filter.

OP
OP

LOL WUT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT
Thanks for the prompt responses. Pulling the plus now.

GDP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Base Deep Impact
Damn man that sucks. I reckon this is one of those times to play it safe. Which it sounds like you are. Should be fine once the water is out and water changed.

kris5597

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
If it went passed the throttle body and into the plenum, its not going to go into the engine with such a small amount, with the way the manifold is designed. Exit point of the air through the plenum is up and around, down into the cylinder heads, not straight down. Just get a rag or paper towels, tape it on the end of something long and try to get all of it out before starting the engine. Keep in mind there is also going to be a good bit of oil residue in the manifold as well, will require multiple rags.

Kris

Swayse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 gt auto
I'd pull the plugs, crank for a good 10 seconds at full throttle, put the plugs back in and call it good. Then crank it up, and let it idle for 30 minutes.

Sponsored

Zenkem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 PPP GT Mustang
Happy it worked out for you!!!

Zenkem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 PPP GT Mustang
OP
OP

LOL WUT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT
Thank you to those who offered me some guidance last night. I pulled the plugs and turned the motor over by hand and did an oil change. The car started with no issues, just working through burping the coolant system now. I was in full panic mode last night and worked on the car until 6am when I finished the oil change. Now it's time for a beer. :cheers:

2015 Silver GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT Premium
Stuff like this happens to the best of us, especially when we get tired.
Sponsored