oneaussie

oneaussie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT, 14 Mustang, 70 AAR Cuda
To erase to key all keys have to be deleted when programing , problem is when you erase all keys you need 2 new key to be able to program . Looks like said shop is buying 2 keys to get the original key out of the module .

Anti-Theft Key Programming - Scan Tool
Programming

NOTE:
Make sure the passive key battery(ies) measure at least 2.5 volts. A passive key with a depleted battery only starts the vehicle when in the backup starting location. The RKE functionality remains inoperative until the key battery is replaced.

NOTE: In order to gain module security access, the diagnostic scan tool must have an active Internet connection. A hardwired connection is strongly recommended.

NOTE: When programming keys, the RKE transmitter and the PATS portion of the key are programmed at the same time.

NOTE: Common anti-theft security access choices are:

• Program Additional Key
    • Erase and Program Keys
    • Parameter Reset
    • Customer Spare Key Programming Enable/Disable
    • NOTE: Unlimited Key Mode should only be used for fleet vehicle purposes. The RKE function only operates for the first 2 keys programmed when the Unlimited Key Mode is enabled. Enabling the Unlimited Key Mode disables the RKE function until an Erase and Program Keys function is carried out. Disabling the Unlimited Key Mode restores the RKE function without the need to erase and reprogram keys.
      Unlimited Key Mode ON/OFF (vehicles without push-button start only)
    • Program Unlimited Key Code (vehicles without push-button start only)

1. Using a diagnostic scan tool, establish a session with the vehicle.
    Refer to: Diagnostic Methods (100-00 General Information, Description and Operation).
  2. NOTE: If the perimeter alarm activates when a diagnostic scan tool is connected and no valid programmed keys are available, carry out the following steps:
      • If equipped with a keyless entry keypad, enter the keyless entry keypad code to allow a diagnostic scan tool session to be established. Proceed to Step 3 further below.
        • If not equipped, allow the alarm to activate for 10 minutes, which is followed by a 1 minute access window where a diagnostic scan tool session can be established. Proceed to the following steps:
      • To avoid nuisance from the horn, remove the horn fuse.
      • Using a diagnostic scan tool, establish a session with the vehicle. If equipped with push-button start, it is necessary to use the blank path vehicle identification method (tear tag).
      • Select TOOLBOX>Body>Security>PATS Functions, but do not select the check mark box to proceed further.
      • If equipped with a hood latch switch, and the hood is open for battery charging purposes, place the hood latch in the closed position.
      • Latch the striker in the driver door to prevent a door ajar condition from being reported to the BCM and leave the driver door open to allow access to the DLC and ignition switch or push to start button. Make sure all other doors, liftgate, luggage compartment lid, and tailgate are closed.
      • If the exterior lights are not flashing to indicate an alarm event, disconnect and reconnect the battery.
      • Select PATS Functions and then select the appropriate function to erase keys. Select the corresponding check marks until the screen displays indicating 2 keys need to be programmed to start the vehicle. Select the check mark on this screen to continue. An error may be reported on the next screen. Ignore this error. Exit from this diagnostic scan tool function and select PATS Functions a second time. Proceed until either a screen is displayed which advises to turn the ignition on or the main PATS Functions menu is displayed. Do not select the check mark on this screen or proceed any further.
      • The process of requesting to erase keys with the diagnostic scan tool initiates a 10 minute timer in the BCM which must conclude before the 1 minute DLC access window occurs.
      • Reinsert the horn fuse after the exterior and interior lights stop flashing. This occurs within 4-5 minutes of when a command to erase keys was sent from the diagnostic scan tool. After another 5-6 minutes (9-11 minutes from the initial point of diagnostic scan tool DLC access), the horn chirps once to indicate the 1 minute data link access time period has begun. Immediately proceed to step 5. If the single horn chirp is not heard, carry out the procedure again starting at step 1.

3. NOTE: Depending on the diagnostic scan tool power settings, it may be required to provide an occasional mouse/keypad input to prevent power saver mode from being entered and the diagnostic scan tool session being interrupted during the 10 minute period before the 1 minute access window. Also make sure a technician service publication website session is active and has not timed out on the laptop or PC being used for this procedure.
  4. Using a diagnostic scan tool, select TOOLBOX>Body>Security>PATS Functions.
  5. Select the appropriate procedure and follow the on-screen instructions.
  6. NOTE: While programming keys, the diagnostic scan tool may display an error message indicating an error has occurred. Ignore this error and proceed to program the keys. The alarm may trigger on some vehicles after the first key has been programmed. Ignore the alarm and proceed to program the second key.
    When the “Gaining Security Access” screen appears, make sure the diagnostic scan tool is connected to the Internet and select "Yes" to continue. If directed to this step from the above alarm activation steps for vehicles without a keyless entry keypad, select “Erase Keys.”
  7. Select Dealership or Aftermarket and enter a valid username and password when prompted.
  8. NOTE: If programming a passive key (vehicles with push-button start), refer to the Owner Literature for the passive key backup starting location. The passive key must be oriented correctly in this location to successfully program.
    Return to the diagnostic scan tool window and follow the on-screen instructions. The door locks and hazard flashers cycle to indicate when a key is successfully programmed. Start the vehicle; if it does not start, select PATS Programming and carry out a parameter reset or module initialization for the BCM , the PCM or the ABS module as necessary. If the vehicle still does not start, carry out the procedure again starting at step 1. If after the second attempt the vehicle does not start, refer to step 8 below.
  9. NOTE: If the above steps did not allow keys to be successfully programmed starting at the 7th bullet point under step 2 above perform the following alternate steps:
      • Remove the horn fuse to avoid nuisance from the alarm.
      • Select TOOLBOX > Body > Security > PATS Functions, but do not select the check mark box to proceed further.
      • Disconnect and reconnect the battery, then open and close the driver door to start the 10 minute alarm event. To prevent the alarm from stopping after 5 minutes have elapsed, the BCM requires an ajar switch input. Open the driver door at the 4.5 minute mark from the time the alarm event started. At the 10 minute mark, the exterior and interior lights stop flashing (and if the horn is still connected, it will emit a single chirp) to indicate that the 1 minute data link access period has begun. Ignition ON (for vehicles with push-button start, push the button once).
      • Select Erase and Program Keys and then immediately proceed to step 5 above.

10. Return to the diagnostic scan tool window and follow the on-screen instructions.
Wow, very in depth. Thank you very much. An addition key fob would be great. :thumbsup:
Sponsored

The Demon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 N5809, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Vehicle Showcase
My only question is what is the shop doing to make sure that said person doesn’t come back for some cars. How are they protecting your car that’s still there?

OP
OP
oneaussie

oneaussie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
My only question is what is the shop doing to make sure that said person doesn’t come back for some cars. How are they protecting your car that’s still there?
That's a good question. I don't know. Luckily my car was locked in the shop. Learning from this thread for a keyless ignition it seems some what simple to disable the the key fob with tech. I can't imagine the stress the other owners of keyed ignition cars are going through. New door lock cylinders, ignition cylinder, trunk and glove box cylinder. Bloody nightmare.

Last edited:

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Aren't you unable to program new keys without having at least one prior key? Or are the 15-17 cars more lenient? I thought on most newer stuff you have to replace the BCM when this happens if you have zero remotes.

OP
OP
oneaussie

oneaussie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Aren't you unable to program new keys without having at least one prior key? Or are the 15-17 cars more lenient? I thought on most newer stuff you have to replace the BCM when this happens if you have zero remotes.
Reading from this thread it looks like you need 2 key fobs to reprogram the BCM. That will erase the stolen key fob, but then again I've never had to deal with this before. A reminder to everyone, most of you guys already know this , never leave your house keys on the fob when dropping it at a shop, thankfully I didn't. Iv'e probably owned 50 cars in my life and this has never happened before.

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Reading from this thread it looks like you need 2 key fobs to reprogram the BCM. That will erase the stolen key fob, but then again I've never had to deal with this before. A reminder to everyone, most of you guys already know this , never leave your house keys on the fob when dropping it at a shop, thankfully I didn't. Iv'e probably owned 50 cars in my life and this has never happened before.
In that case I guess he's buying you two new keys...

OP
OP
oneaussie

oneaussie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
That's what fmc_smt said earlier. But like I said this is a new one for me. This is my first key less ignition car that Iv'e owned.

Last edited:
OP
OP
oneaussie

oneaussie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Update: After being at the shop for over 5 weeks, it is finally finished. However, they only gave me one key fob. After all the BS they put me through I should have at least gotten two. 😡

fmc_smt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 gt , 2015 Escape , 2015 F250
Vehicle Showcase
Update: After being at the shop for over 5 weeks, it is finally finished. However, they only gave me one key fob. After all the BS they put me through I should have at least gotten two. 😡
Take pic of the back side of the fob . Then I maybe able to tell you what they did . I don't think you will like the outcome.

OP
OP
oneaussie

oneaussie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Take pic of the back side of the fob . Then I maybe able to tell you what they did . I don't think you will like the outcome.
It does have the chrome pony on the back, so I believe it is a Ford key fob.
20220922_171058.jpg

Sponsored

fmc_smt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 gt , 2015 Escape , 2015 F250
Vehicle Showcase
It does have the chrome pony on the back, so I believe it is a Ford key fob.
20220922_171058.jpg
Yes that appears to be a Ford fob . My bet is that whom ever programed it did it this way . When you go threw the security access to program keys there are 2 options. First add a key , second erase all keys . So what they did was add a key , that leaves the 2 factory keys still programed to the car . Basically the car thinks there are mutable keys . You would have to erase all the keys to remove keys lost . Once that is done , you need 2 keys to program . It appears you have 2 keys still floating out there that will start your car .

wish i was fast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt s550
the dealer can program 1 key. if you program the keys with forscan you have to program 2 keys. they probably had the dealer program a new key meaning you still have 2 more keys somewhere that can access your car

LS1Coupe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
rich
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
We have a locksmith come out for keys and module programming. Like others have said when you program a new key it should erase all old keys.

Do you have another key at home? If so try it and see if your car still starts with it.

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
Bigger issue is the thugs, most likely have the vehicles info AND owners address if listed on the work orders. only take a second to take photo's of the w/o with cell phone. They didn't take the keys and never plan on coming back for the cars, showing up at shop is too risky, they'll show up at owners homes hoping to drive it way . I'd be asking if the work orders has the owners address on it. most likely does.
I'd demand a new fob and a re-key of mechanical door lock that is under door handle trim.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
He’s not buying anything. His insurance company is. :like:
Sponsored