Dfeeds

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
What a bunch of crooks. This situation was already suspicious, now it's pretty clear that your insurance company is trying to make an absolute killing off you. The threat of storage fees is just to get you to accept that low ass offer, so they can turn around and make like 15k on parts.

True scumbag behavior.
Right!? They want me to bend over and hand them the bottle of lube. I'm going nuts but it's a matter of principle, at this point, to fight back.

They even had illinois admin code at the bottom of the settlement dated from 2017. The code's gone through quite a few revisions in the last 5 years. But I'm sure there's plenty of people who wouldn't catch it and up getting the shaft. I'm not informed enough to make the declaration but this seems like fraud.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Dfeeds

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Alright final update to this.

I accepted a settlement at $36.8k and didn't get charged any storage fees. I'll spare the boring bits but if anyone is curious I'll happily oblige.

I was mentally prepared to move on when the body shop tossed a proverbial monkey wrench at me. The body shop owner told me that the car is probably going to be auctioned and said he'd be willing to bid for the car on my behalf (circumventing the law) if it's available and I wanted it. It's tempting... I can definitely buy it back and get it back on the road for the settlement amount. I'm just not sure if I should bother. Putting my feelings aside, I'd be stuck with a salvage title, any underlying issues (the bent in pinch weld has me concerned), and no resale value. I definitely have some thinking to do.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Alright final update to this.

I accepted a settlement at $36.8k and didn't get charged any storage fees. I'll spare the boring bits but if anyone is curious I'll happily oblige.

I was mentally prepared to move on when the body shop tossed a proverbial monkey wrench at me. The body shop owner told me that the car is probably going to be auctioned and said he'd be willing to bid for the car on my behalf (circumventing the law) if it's available and I wanted it. It's tempting... I can definitely buy it back and get it back on the road for the settlement amount. I'm just not sure if I should bother. Putting my feelings aside, I'd be stuck with a salvage title, any underlying issues (the bent in pinch weld has me concerned), and no resale value. I definitely have some thinking to do.
Best of luck with whatever you decide! Nice that your guy is willing to help you with the buy back if you want, stupid IL laws (and there’s a lot of them 😂). Some decent deals out there with the market softening and Ford is running their special financing through 1/3/23 for remaining 2022’s if new is an option for you.

OP
OP
Dfeeds

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Best of luck with whatever you decide! Nice that your guy is willing to help you with the buy back if you want, stupid IL laws (and there’s a lot of them 😂). Some decent deals out there with the market softening and Ford is running their special financing through 1/3/23 for remaining 2022’s if new is an option for you.
Thanks, and good heads up on the financing! Not sure about another Mustang but I do need a new car lol. It is very cool of them to offer. Probably not gonna do anything with it but it's nice knowing not everyone was trying to screw me over during this.

Imo just let it go and buy another one lol. Let someone else repair it and enjoy it.
Yeah, it's probably better served as someone's track toy. Sad to see it go but... tis life. I've actually committed to getting a motorcycle + commuter. Their offer just took me completely by surprise and I'd be lying if I wasn't considering it, even just a smidge. But this whole thing has left a bad taste in my mouth so something completely different sounds good lol.

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Thanks, and good heads up on the financing! Not sure about another Mustang but I do need a new car lol.
That would appear to make your decision on whether to buy back the wrecked Mustang.

OP
OP
Dfeeds

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
That would appear to make your decision on whether to buy back the wrecked Mustang.
Yes and no. I'm most likely not going to buy it back. My thoughts are more that the 2022/23 MY is virtually the same. In some cases it's objectively worse than my 2019, but it holds a higher MSRP. Paying higher MSRP + financing with ridiculous interest rates (deals aside), for an inferior product, just seems silly. Ontop of that, I'd have to rebuy the power pack and borla exhaust. So tack on an extra $4k.

The 2024/s650 is cool and I tried really hard to like it. For a brief period of time it worked, but at the end it just doesn't excite me enough. The moment I saw a motorcycle I thought was really cool, any interest in the s650 just vanished.

So the conclusion I've come to is that I just want my Mustang back, or none at all. What it would take to get into the driver seat of a new one isn't worth it to me.
Sponsored