Dfeeds

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
Glad to hear you're ok and nobody was hurt.

Unfortunately, looking over the pics, I'd guess there is probably quite a bit of damage under the car - especially seeing how damaged the rims are in those photos. Granted there may not be any body panel damages, but that rear sub frame had to have shifted and/or snapped some hardware there may be some bent/damaged hardware up front too. You won't be able to really tell until the car is on a lift.

But again, glad you're ok.

With those road conditions, did you have it in the Rain/Snow mode setting? Tires alone won't always be the end all, the Rain/Snow mode does work quite well, even if it is a "nanny".

Time to invest in a dash cam too - there's some good threads on here with many, many recommendations and user DIY's.
No snow mode, just the basics. I'm pretty sure my end was spelled the moment I swerved into the shoulder. It felt like I hit a patch of black ice with how quickly the rear got away from me.

Things looked surprisingly well when I looked under it on the flatbed, but we'll see. I'll take damaged hardware over a bent frame any day.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Dfeeds

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Glad no one was hurt... biggest problem is not having your first accident until 30.

You're gonna want to start wrecking cars around 15 with your temp license, then get a dozen or so under your belt, then by 30 you know 99.999% of driving situations.

I'd drive a 3500HP pro mod in snow now at 40.

Gl brotha..GOBBLESS!
Haha! Thanks for the laugh, I needed it.

OP
OP
Dfeeds

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Did you have tcs and advancetrac on? I guess they may not be fully effective in these conditions.
I did. My guess is that I hit a patch of black ice when I swerved into the shoulder. I was sideways in the blink of an eye and it just did not want to straighten out.

Farkel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT Premium PP1, 2012 Jeep JK, 2022 Harley 48
This is a good example of why I don't take my 'stang out when the roads are slick. The car can manage o.k. and I have lots of experience, BUT every year there's a new crop of fools who don't know how to drive and/or don't have their vehicles prepared for these conditions. Luckily, I'm retired and I have a Jeep for foul weather if I need it, so I can pick and choose when to enjoy the nice car.

Glad you're not hurt and that the Mustang is repairable.

Sponsored

wynand32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT California Special
Thanks. Fortunately not a single soul was hurt, if we exclude my pride. I had a good bit of momentum when I smacked the median and the rims weren't expensive.
Doesn't sound like your pride should be wounded at all, and glad that nobody as hurt. You appear to have avoided something much worse. Having had a near-miss lately, I do have to say that the Mustang is a responsive car that seems to help avoid worst-case scenarios.

daSNAK3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Damn that sucks.. I had no clue it was gonna snow yesterday.. I took my car to work and when I left at 7pm, I had enough snow for a snowball.. drive home wasn't bad.. just glad they didn't put any salt down.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
The first couple snows always suck because typically the ground is warm enough it won’t stick but can still get some slick, icy spots. Glad nobody was hurt and hopefully there’s no major damage. As others have said, make sure nothing shifted where that rear wheel got impacted but on the surface everything looks easily repairable.

OP
OP
Dfeeds

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Glad no one was hurt and damage was less than it could have been.

"Ripe?" 30? Dude, you're still green and hanging on the tree.
I was being a bit facetious, with the title.

Doesn't sound like your pride should be wounded at all, and glad that nobody as hurt. You appear to have avoided something much worse. Having had a near-miss lately, I do have to say that the Mustang is a responsive car that seems to help avoid worst-case scenarios.
Thank you, and I agree. It's the fact that it actually happened, more than anything. Hindsight and being in the moment aren't the same, but it's hard to stop myself from thinking about the "what-ifs" that could've saved the car. As you said, the Mustang does its job, so I definitely can't blame the car.

OP
OP
Dfeeds

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Damn that sucks.. I had no clue it was gonna snow yesterday.. I took my car to work and when I left at 7pm, I had enough snow for a snowball.. drive home wasn't bad.. just glad they didn't put any salt down.
Right? I don't recall it even being mentioned. There wasn't enough to make a snowball but there was enough frost to cause me to slip on my ass when I first got out of the car. I'm sure that was a sight for anyone watching... lol.

The first couple snows always suck because typically the ground is warm enough it won’t stick but can still get some slick, icy spots. Glad nobody was hurt and hopefully there’s no major damage. As others have said, make sure nothing shifted where that rear wheel got impacted but on the surface everything looks easily repairable.
Good point, and I admittedly wasn't thinking about that. Black ice completely slipped my mind 🙃.

And right, that wheel is definitely where things will be the worst. The busted rim makes the wheel look more cocked than it actually was. Just sitting around and waiting is stressful but I actually just got off of the phone with my claims adjustor. It's good knowing he's trying to get this taken care of ASAP.

Sponsored

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Right? I don't recall it even being mentioned. There wasn't enough to make a snowball but there was enough frost to cause me to slip on my ass when I first got out of the car. I'm sure that was a sight for anyone watching... lol.

Good point, and I admittedly wasn't thinking about that. Black ice completely slipped my mind 🙃.

And right, that wheel is definitely where things will be the worst. The busted rim makes the wheel look more cocked than it actually was. Just sitting around and waiting is stressful but I actually just got off of the phone with my claims adjustor. It's good knowing he's trying to get this taken care of ASAP.
Hope they get you all taken care of!

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
Glad no one was hurt... biggest problem is not having your first accident until 30.

You're gonna want to start wrecking cars around 15 with your temp license, then get a dozen or so under your belt, then by 30 you know 99.999% of driving situations.

I'd drive a 3500HP pro mod in snow now at 40.

Gl brotha..GOBBLESS!
Sounds like your telling my life story! Rolled my first car at 15 on a dirt road. Ironically, I rolled my second car on the same road (paved now) about 6 years later. They say most accidents happen with in a mile of your home. In my case both of these accidents happened on the road I lived on. No pic of the first car but here was my crx when I was 21. Needless to say lots of drinking was involved.

20200628_155844.jpg

Garfy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, 2012 Honda Fit Sport
As in any traffic crash, the outcome you want is to walk away alive. You can always buy another car but another life is impossible. I hope you learned what so many others know; you don't want to drive a RWD car on snowy highways. Most guys here keep their cars parked in the garage in the winter, which is what I plan to do as I'm moving from a warm tropical climate to cold Utah soon. I have a compact FWD car to handle the winters, though I may look for an AWD car when I'm up there. Glad you're OK and don't drive your Mustang in the snow; get another car if you can for winter driving.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
you don't want to drive a RWD car on snowy highways.
When I learned how to drive front wheel drive was only a pipe dream. All wheel drive was on pick up trucks, we called it 4 wheel drive. :)

Nothing wrong driving a rear wheel drive car on snow and ice. Just pay attention to driving and not the radio, cell phone, day dreams or anything except driving.

Helps to keep a safety zone around you also, sometimes this is not possible but if possible don't tail gate, have someone on your sides or let someone tail gate you.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
When I learned how to drive front wheel drive was only a pipe dream. All wheel drive was on pick up trucks, we called it 4 wheel drive. :)

Nothing wrong driving a rear wheel drive car on snow and ice. Just pay attention to driving and not the radio, cell phone, day dreams or anything except driving.

Helps to keep a safety zone around you also, sometimes this is not possible but if possible don't tail gate, have someone on your sides or let someone tail gate you.
97% of my millions of driving miles were in RWD vehicles. I never owned a AWD vehicle, and only a couple FWD's. You just have to learn them. My winter beater is a RWD E150 Van.
Sponsored