Weird Insurance situation - if anyone can exp

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350 (sold)
I’m surprised no one has mentioned one’s credit score/report as a factor in the rate we pay for insurance..
Probably because we didn’t know.....until now ;-)
Sponsored

BB125

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT California Special
Vehicle Showcase
I can't explain that. Sounds like it is time to shop around. I had an even more weird situation when I bought my last mustang: I traded a 2011 v6 base for a 2017 GT Premium and my insurance payment went DOWN!!

Sponsored

okfoz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 Roush Stage 3
My insurance doubled this past year and they could not explain it to me either. I called and asked what the problem was and they basically said I had too many claims. I had 7 claims in the past 12 years I was with the company. None of them were accidents caused by me or my family, they were either people hitting my parked car in parking lots, my daughter getting rear ended, and I was sideswiped by a moron on the expressway as the other driver admitted to be reaching for her cigarette lighter on video, I also had 4 tows. NO Tickets by any of us or anything. When I talked to an agent she was baffled as I was... I tried some of the online garbage Progressive, Geico, liberty etc. What I found was yes they were cheap, but so was the insurance, they gave me bare bottom coverage. At any rate I changed agencies, I got good insurance that will cover me and my car...

I figure I gave them at least $50,000 over the past 12 years, if you include house insurance, and they were complaining about the $72 tows, and accidents that cost $8,980 combined total!

OP
OP
lenFeb

lenFeb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 #K0110
Just for some perspective, what was the % increase?
EDIT to also ask, was the increase $2000 or did the premium go up to $2000?
The premium went up from 1100/6m to 3160/6m

okfoz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 Roush Stage 3
The premium went up from 1100/6m to 3160/6m
More or less, Geico is telling you to go shop elsewhere for insurance. That is what you do to customers that you no longer want on the books...

OP
OP
lenFeb

lenFeb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 #K0110
I’m surprised no one has mentioned one’s credit score/report as a factor in the rate we pay for insurance..
Yes, walid point. But in my case it's excelente - over 800. It doesn't matter for insurance companies if it's no-fault or not. They automatically bump me to the higher risk tier category and that is reflecting on my premium.
Like the other member said, I shouldn't provide them with my auto insurance info. I was in a lot of pain in ER, so couldn't think straight. Live and learn.

volcanogod

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 350
I have a similar story where in 2005 I was driving to work and was stopped at a stop light a number of cars from the light. I was offset as I was planning to turn right once I got up there. A lady in a minivan hit me going 45 or so and turned my car into an accordion. She never braked and luckily I never saw it coming. I was in a fully loaded 2002 Altima at the time. From the impact the seat back broke and I ended up partially in the back seat until I was driving into a 70 something dodge tank 4 x 4. At that point I submarined under the seat belt from the secondary impact and it got me mid chest. I ended up with a totaled car with <20k miles on it and ended up missing 2 months of work. The soccer mom that caused all of this didn't even get a ticket. She cried as I was being put on a stretcher and said the sun was in her eyes. :curse: I also got to spent a number of months in PT. It took me 2 years to not have panic attacks while sitting at lights. Honestly it is best to not see it coming I think.

State Farm was the insurer of al 5 cars that were involved (Yeah Crazy!). 1st mistake: I didn't get a lawyer. State Farm paid well above BB for my car. They gave me a good pain/suffering check and covered everything, including 2 months of loss wages, even though I was able to use my short term medical leave insurance at the same time. All seemed well, until I relocated to Austin Texas in 2007. After being here a month or 2 I picked a new State Farm agent and the 1st bill I got was similar to what I got in Oregon. The next one went up almost 80 bucks above the $100 or so I was paying to $180. I was shocked and made and was told it went up because I had a charge off… AKA some soccer mom totally 3 cars and damaging 2 others and I get the blame for totally my car. I took it all the way to State Farm district and got the same message. I had been with State Farm for 20+ years and had no speeding tickets or other accidents. I even went as far as to take a competing quotes from Progressive and others with more coverages and still cheaper than the $100 I was currently was paying. In the end I moved to Progressive and have been with them since 2007 and will not look back or ever consider State Far again. Since my accident I have daily back pain with bulging disk and arthritis in my mid back where the damage was done. I can’t sleep in a bed that is flat.

Disclosures: We have a 2008 Honda Odyssey we paid cash for and my 2016 Shelby GT350 which is also paid for. My insurance is $610 every 6 months for full coverages on both cars. It only went up 5 bucks a month moving from a 2005 Frontier LE 4 x 4 to the Shelby

Recommendations: Don’t sign a release ever as the damage may not be visible for a year or more. Stay the heck away from State Farm.

As others have stated… Move along to a new insurer. No insurance is a friend of anyone ever!

Sponsored

Mrhavasu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Maybe “no fault” doesn’t mean no increased in premium.
I was legally parked with my business truck and trailer and a drunk hit me. He had full coverage and my premium went up and the accident is on my record regardless of fault. I didn’t change insurance companies due to the record of that accident.
Maybe someone can explain exactly what no fault means. I’d bet, not much.
In CA they cannot raise your rates for a no fault accident. It will appear on your record as involvement. Your carrier is supposed to provide
you with a no fault letter that you can use to shop around to avoid being surcharged for the accident. We do it all the time.

To answer the credit question, most states do check credit and base rates on their insurance score model. CA does not. Only
driving record,, miles driven per year and length of driving history in CA.

Les

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lester
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350-Ruby Red, 12 Roush RS3 Kona Blue, 33 Ford
Vehicle Showcase
I literally just changed my insurance to Hagerty for my Shelby and it went down $642 a year with the exact same coverage. When I bought the car in Aug 2019 Hagerty wouldn’t insure Shelby’s. I just found out about 2 months ago that they now do! $986 a year stated value $60,000.

Madstork97

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jimmy
Vehicle(s)
Gt500
I literally just changed my insurance to Hagerty for my Shelby and it went down $642 a year with the exact same coverage. When I bought the car in Aug 2019 Hagerty wouldn’t insure Shelby’s. I just found out about 2 months ago that they now do! $986 a year stated value $60,000.
For me $2203 for one yr just got a Quote "3 days ago

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
Yes, walid point. But in my case it's excelente - over 800. It doesn't matter for insurance companies if it's no-fault or not. They automatically bump me to the higher risk tier category and that is reflecting on my premium.
Like the other member said, I shouldn't provide them with my auto insurance info. I was in a lot of pain in ER, so couldn't think straight. Live and learn.
I prolly should have clarified, my post was referring to the more general conversation about rates.

Back to original programming.

Pittpa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 6MT
Probably because we didn’t know.....until now ;-)
You're safe from credit score insurance rating in CA, MA, and HI . And CR indicates that Geico is a go-to company in NJ if you have poor credit.
If I was OP, I'd go to the State Insurance Department with my question. They are usually good consumer advocates and experts on what insurance companies are required to divulge to consumers.

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro...-scores-affect-auto-insurance-rates/index.htm
Sponsored