"Weight" on back of MT-82, '21 GT PP

pt's21

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
21 Mustang GT PP MT, Wife's 20 Mustang GT A10
I went to install a used BlowFish shifter bracket on my '21 GT PP and found what appears to be a weight affixed to the three tranny mount bolts that the BlowFish mounts with. If the weight is not present, the three bolts are loosened 1/4", and the bracket slips behind the bolt heads via open ended slots. With the weight in place, I'm not sure the bracket will mount and both mount and weight stay in place.

The weight appears to me to be a vibration isolator and may have rubber cores with metal sleeves at the three mounting holes. Sorry, didn't take pics. And am unable to find a photo online of this area showing the weight.

The questions become:
* What is this weight? Its purpose?
* Can this weight be removed to mount the shifter bracket with no adverse effects?
* Can this weight be left in place and the shifter bracket added between weight and tranny mount?

Any useful input appreciated - THANKS !
Sponsored

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I went to install a used BlowFish shifter bracket on my '21 GT PP and found what appears to be a weight affixed to the three tranny mount bolts that the BlowFish mounts with. If the weight is not present, the three bolts are loosened 1/4", and the bracket slips behind the bolt heads via open ended slots. With the weight in place, I'm not sure the bracket will mount and both mount and weight stay in place.

The weight appears to me to be a vibration isolator and may have rubber cores with metal sleeves at the three mounting holes. Sorry, didn't take pics. And am unable to find a photo online of this area showing the weight.

The questions become:
* What is this weight? Its purpose?
* Can this weight be removed to mount the shifter bracket with no adverse effects?
* Can this weight be left in place and the shifter bracket added between weight and tranny mount?

Any useful input appreciated - THANKS !
It appears that it can be removed. Ben Calimer removes them from his 2018+ trannys. Hereā€™s a pic that I found on his website.

1637555955335.jpeg

OP
OP
pt's21

pt's21

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the inputs thus far.

Not sure if Ben Calimer removes the weights or the weights are not there. I have looked some more and have yet to find a photo showing the weight.

Not sure what purpose the weight on the Focus is for (not a member of that forum - cannot see detail in thumbnail), but being mounted in an entirely different location, I do not think they serve the same purpose.

MODERATOR, I POSTED IN THE GENERAL FORUM TO GET MORE EXPOSURE. The person(s) that know what this device is for may never visit the transmission forum. And, thanks heaps for informing me of the move - I didn't think I was going to find this post again !

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
pt's21

pt's21

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Sorry, not the weight I'm having issues with. Mine is held on by the three bolts that hold the transmission mount on. If looking up at the crossmember and tranny mount from the rear, looking forward, you would see the weight instead of the aluminum mount bolted to the tranny tail stock.

The photo below shows 2 of the 3 mounting holes (third is out of frame), at the very bottom of the tranny. The three holes affix the transmission to cross member mount, several aftermarket shifter brackets, and in my case, a weight.

unnamed.jpg

Last edited:

EP901

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP2 Magnetic Metallic
You mean this?
Damper_Lower_Bracket.jpg

Instructions from blowfish bracket I got from LMR and installed May of last year. Item #SSB-15-000.
I put mine in a little over a week ago. Looks like you didn't get the updated instructions with your bracket. See STEP6B and FIG4B below.
Blowfish1.jpg
Blowfish2.jpg

OP
OP
pt's21

pt's21

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
EP901
Thank you ! !

Yes, thatā€™s it. I bought the blowfish used with no instructions. Having never seen the ā€œdamperā€ before (wasnā€™t on my ā€˜17 GT), I was unsure what to do.

Thanks again, that cleared thing up nicely.

Brazos609

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP Recaro
This is similar to the TR3160 mount and damper that has been used in the GT30.

s-l1600.jpg

OP
OP
pt's21

pt's21

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Interesting.

Now, does anybody have a clue as to the damper's exact function, and does it actually perform that function?

Brazos609

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP Recaro
Interesting. Now, does anybody have a clue as to the damper's exact function, and does it actually perform that function?
Yes, dampers work to dampen vibrations in vehicles and have been in use for years. The GT350, GT, and Ecoboost have all used dampers in a variety of locations.
Sponsored