Sponsored

Weighing the pros and cons of a midsize

North

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Lexus LX470. 2022 Can Am Commander XT-P Max
What's the actual payload number on these? Haven't been able to find exact numbers for the TRD Pro, I'd love to use it to haul my ATV but I'm also concerned about exceeding the limit, I've seen limit of like 1000lb but not sure if that's correct. ATV is 600lbs stock, throw in some fatter tires, and other accessories and I'm probably pushing 700. Then add myself and the gf, getting now to 1000 lbs. If I take camping gear or anything else I'm seemingly at the limit already. Def need to get some accurate numbers to see how I'll manage.
There is a little confusion surrounding this, the numbers on Toyota's site currently are higher than what is listed in the manual and some of the door stickers.
Sponsored

OP
OP
JustAnotherDingus

JustAnotherDingus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo Wagon (for now!)
There is a little confusion surrounding this, the numbers on Toyota's site currently are higher than what is listed in the manual and some of the door stickers.
Yeah I just screen-grabbed this from the manual. Honestly I bet this is the real number. Why Toyota is allowed to put other stuff on their site that doesn’t line up with the manual, I have no clue. I know all the manufacturers do it. It’s silly.

the number is… eh. But it does include skids and sliders and a bumper which are heavy. But I could always revise my tool storage build plans to accommodate this. We shall see.

for some comparison: a decently loaded lariat f150 with their hybrid powerboost (which deducts about 200lbs of payload I think) usually gets 1200-1400 payload. A tremor has about 1550. I just happen to know those cus I’ve looked in the door of a few semi-recently. I’m sure other brands are comparable. I think tundras with the TRD Offroad package tend to land around 1300?

anyway I hope this screengrab is helpful!

2024 Tacoma Weighing the pros and cons of a midsize IMG_5386

North

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Lexus LX470. 2022 Can Am Commander XT-P Max
Yeah I just screen-grabbed this from the manual. Honestly I bet this is the real number. Why Toyota is allowed to put other stuff on their site that doesn’t line up with the manual, I have no clue. I know all the manufacturers do it. It’s silly.
Apologies for covering this in multiple threads, but I don't think the manual payload numbers make a lot of sense. There are multiple hybrid models with various weights and options but they all happen to come in at the exact same payload, besides the Trailhunter which despite being the most laden comes in a little bit higher? It doesn't add up.

On the website there are very specific (and unique to each vehicle) payload numbers given with the top being 1705 on the TRD Off Road hybrid (which is very close to the oft touted "1709 pound payload" number thrown around in Toyota's own press release). Listing inflated payload numbers would be akin to listing incorrect HP, MPG, towing capacity, fuel tank capacity, etc, but no one is disputing those. I could see these payload numbers being dubious if it was a year from the release date and they were still finalizing these specs, but these numbers are currently up on the website and these vehicles are available to order now. I doubt they want customers ordering what they think will be a 1705 payload Offroad and discovering it is actually 505 less when they take delivery.

I do agree that those higher payload numbers seem high for a midsize truck, but part of the reason that I and assumably other buyers have been holding out for a hybrid Taco is that they were being advertised as having high payload numbers. Hopefully there will be some clarification about the manual vs. website discrepancies soon, but I'm holding out hope the website is correct.

vfracer

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Off Road
Just another data point. I live in LA and had a '22 Chevy Silverado Custom and a '23 Dodge Ram Laramie. Both crew cabs. One of my kids is heading off to college so I didn't feel I needed a full size pickup any longer. I ski/snowboard, mtn bike, camp (light 4 wheeling) and need room to haul my dirt bike. No towing though (yet- want to get a lightweight camper).

Pros- really like the looks of the new Taco. Size is great for parking in LA (my Ram had a long bed and it was long). Fuel mileage is about the same (Chevy had the turbo 4 and the Ram had the V6). Got the 6' bed and my dirt bike fits without the need for a bed extender.

Cons- My family really misses the room in the back seats. Both had tons of room in the back seats and the Laramie trim was appointed very well. I almost pulled the trigger on a Tundra instead since there are so many around and the incentives are great. We haven't done a road trip yet with all of us in the truck and that will be the real test. Leg room is tight in the back.

OP
OP
JustAnotherDingus

JustAnotherDingus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo Wagon (for now!)
Just another data point. I live in LA and had a '22 Chevy Silverado Custom and a '23 Dodge Ram Laramie. Both crew cabs. One of my kids is heading off to college so I didn't feel I needed a full size pickup any longer. I ski/snowboard, mtn bike, camp (light 4 wheeling) and need room to haul my dirt bike. No towing though (yet- want to get a lightweight camper).

Pros- really like the looks of the new Taco. Size is great for parking in LA (my Ram had a long bed and it was long). Fuel mileage is about the same (Chevy had the turbo 4 and the Ram had the V6). Got the 6' bed and my dirt bike fits without the need for a bed extender.

Cons- My family really misses the room in the back seats. Both had tons of room in the back seats and the Laramie trim was appointed very well. I almost pulled the trigger on a Tundra instead since there are so many around and the incentives are great. We haven't done a road trip yet with all of us in the truck and that will be the real test. Leg room is tight in the back.
I’m in LA too! So the size factor is definitely a thing for me as I weigh all of this. I spend most of my work day hopping around between vendors so even though a DCLB is large…. It’s still going to fit better into the famously narrow LA parking spots and strip malls than a full size.

I’m trying to find one of these at a dealer to locally sit in too. I’m very curious about backseat legroom. Im only 5’5” so I don’t think any back seat passengers would suffer too much? Hard to say until I see it. Full size crew cabs are definitely palatial in the back seat.

these were some solid pros and cons. Thanks for sharing your experience!

Osprey

First Name
Cleve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Off-Road
I’m more or less done my kid phase (hauling kids, trailer, boat ect). Wanted something smaller but still wanted a truck for doing truck things.

Midsized truck class has some awsome vehicles now. Perfect for what I need. If you are still in kid phase or hauling a big trailer get a full size.

I have two kids (14 and 12). My son is 5' 11" and my daughter 5' 4". The Taco is my main family vehicle for around town and small excursions. I have a Honda Odyssey for long trips.

I have not had any issue at all with the rear compartment. I've heard tons of folks cry and cry about the small seating area in the rear. Part of that is optical illusion. The Taco back seat is actually longer than a lot of midsize truck back seats (that area that rest your butt and thighs). The kids fit well with their knees coming just to the edge of the seat. There is plenty of room for their legs in the space provided. They can't "lounge" back there, but for trips around town or daytrips, it is fine. I am constantly asking if they feel cramped, and always get "nah, it's just fine back here."

That's just my $0.02.

JimS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 ID.4, 15 Sienna
Colorado offers good payload and 3 gallon larger fuel tank. All the midsizes are new, so I don’t trust the reliability of any brand right now in that segment. Or F150 crew cabs offer standard 36 gallon fuel tank.

I’d just get a full size if talking long bed crew cab midsize. As you point out, the width isn’t that different anymore.

OP
OP
JustAnotherDingus

JustAnotherDingus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo Wagon (for now!)
Colorado offers good payload and 3 gallon larger fuel tank. All the midsizes are new, so I don’t trust the reliability of any brand right now in that segment. Or F150 crew cabs offer standard 36 gallon fuel tank.

I’d just get a full size if talking long bed crew cab midsize. As you point out, the width isn’t that different anymore.
what’s even wilder is the tremor’s XLT equivalent trim costs about the same as a TH or TRD Pro

granted with what I tend to carry and that spend a lot of time in LA traffic is prob average like 14-15 mpg in a tremor and maybe 17-18 in a TH. The difference in gas tank size between the two is substantial for sure. Range with that 36 gal would almost double!

(I know ford makes a hybrid but I raise my eyebrows at its reliability. At least the tremor has a v8 option. I’ve had some uh…. Lets call them “experiences” with ford over the years lol)

ETA. I like the new Colorado. My buddy has one but the little 5’ bed is a no go for me. I could make a full size short bed work because it’s wider/deeper so it has enough volume even if it’s a smidge shorter.

Last edited:

Gear_yyc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Chevy Avalanche
All the midsizes are new, so I don’t trust the reliability of any brand right now in that segment.
In theory, the Ranger SHOULD have good reliability, given that they've been making it in other markets for a couple years already. That said, it's Ford, so you can expect software issues, and they probably messed something up on the engine for North America..

JimS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 ID.4, 15 Sienna
In theory, the Ranger SHOULD have good reliability, given that they've been making it in other markets for a couple years
I’ve hoped the same. And the 2.3L/10 sp drivetrain has been in Rangers since 2019. So in theory should be better out of gate. The tiny 18 gallon tank has been a deal-killer for me though.

univurshul

First Name
J.F.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2001
- if I get something with a 10,000lb tow rating, my wife will immediately find a 40' camper 😂
Exactly. The wife grew up with horses, she's compromised with great danes and that's my animal limit. If I get a Tundra she's gonna buy me Wranglers and a Stetson and start dragging my ass up to colt ranches. I am not that dude.

R.O.U.S. Taco

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX-9, Chevy Bolt EV
Thanks for the insight. I am doing the same thinking right now.
I am 6'1" my wife is 5'8" and have a 3 and 5 year old. The plan is to give the keys to the 5 year old when he starts to drive. I'm sticking with Toyota, and the Tundra is appealing. As I plan on exploring through the PNW I'm concerned about payload as half of the payload would eventually be filled by people. Let alone camping gear and off road gear. Don't need anything fancy but wonder how the tundra would do in the backwoods of the PNW? Right now with incentives and selling prices I can option out an SR5 Tundra with the TRD OR package within the price range of a Tacoma TRD OF DCLB.

OP
OP
JustAnotherDingus

JustAnotherDingus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo Wagon (for now!)
I am 6'1" my wife is 5'8" and have a 3 and 5 year old. The plan is to give the keys to the 5 year old when he starts to drive. I'm sticking with Toyota, and the Tundra is appealing. As I plan on exploring through the PNW I'm concerned about payload as half of the payload would eventually be filled by people. Let alone camping gear and off road gear. Don't need anything fancy but wonder how the tundra would do in the backwoods of the PNW? Right now with incentives and selling prices I can option out an SR5 Tundra with the TRD OR package within the price range of a Tacoma TRD OF DCLB.
Apparently, the tundra doesn’t have the best payload either? A lot seem to land around 1300 from what I’ve seen though that is a bit better than the midsizes. Backseat room would definitely be more comfortable though.

I actually just test drove a dclb sr5 taco about an hour and it was quite nice! I wish I’d taken a pic of me in the back seat but sitting behind myself I had tons of room. I’m 5’5” and tend to sit up and forward a bit for my bad back but still. Not too bad. It’s the size of a regular/small sedan in there. The tuning radius wasn’t too bad either considering its size, and it seemed to handle well.

bigd9247

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150
I live in the PNW and drive an F150 just fine in the backwoods, but it really depends on your definition off-roading. In my F150 I'm only driving on forest service roads. If you're doing actual off-road trails then a fullsize is going to feel real big. My buddy travels thousands of miles a year on forest service roads for camping/hunting/fishing and he's always had an F150 or more recently an F250.

I'm torn between staying in a fullsize or downsizing to a Tacoma. Having a fullsize has been great with all the room inside the cab and inside the bed, but parking in the city for work can be a pain. I can't fit in many parking garages so I have to carpool with someone else or find street parking and walk.

Others in this thread have brought up fuel economy, but in my experience the Tacomas aren't getting much better real world fuel economy. My F150 on 35" tires was averaging 19mpg before tuning the engine/transmission. After tuning I'm closer to 17.5mpg but I knew I was going to lose fuel economy. I'm not sure what the Tundra's fuel economy is.

R.O.U.S. Taco

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX-9, Chevy Bolt EV
I live in the PNW and drive an F150 just fine in the backwoods, but it really depends on your definition off-roading. In my F150 I'm only driving on forest service roads. If you're doing actual off-road trails then a fullsize is going to feel real big. My buddy travels thousands of miles a year on forest service roads for camping/hunting/fishing and he's always had an F150 or more recently an F250.

I'm torn between staying in a fullsize or downsizing to a Tacoma. Having a fullsize has been great with all the room inside the cab and inside the bed, but parking in the city for work can be a pain. I can't fit in many parking garages so I have to carpool with someone else or find street parking and walk.

Others in this thread have brought up fuel economy, but in my experience the Tacomas aren't getting much better real world fuel economy. My F150 on 35" tires was averaging 19mpg before tuning the engine/transmission. After tuning I'm closer to 17.5mpg but I knew I was going to lose fuel economy. I'm not sure what the Tundra's fuel economy is.
From what I can tell it's roughly the same MPG. but getting 1800 lbs payload (according to quick google search) For me I think I just need to get my butt in the seat and see what it feels like. But For the Money I think the Tacoma is a Nicer truck with more amenities. With the Tacoma I would have about 400lbs payload to play with vs. 1k lbs in the tundra. Current Payload needs puts me at about 800lbs with current set-up on Mazda Cx-9, without gear.
2024 Tacoma Weighing the pros and cons of a midsize mz9
Sponsored