Sponsored

We are fortunate to have a manual!

UAmach1

Bullitt Hopefull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford/INFINITI
I am going to go out on a limb here. I am guessing that most of the people on this forum are in their 40s and up. We are probably the last generation that appreciate manual transmissions and many of us learned to drive on a manual as I did. Going back to the muscle car era and up through the early 2000ā€˜s, if you took two identical cars, one with an automatic transmission (or DCT) and one with a manual transmission, the manual transmission would always bring more money. 30 years from now who knows. Millennialā€™s donā€™t give a damn about driving, and none of them know how to shift a car. There will be a point where the manual transmission will no longer bring the money that they used to.
Hey, I'm a millennial and I'm 36. I always prefer manual to auto. The problem is that MPG takes a hit with manual now when it used to be the other way around. Also with auto being faster many times there is less reason to want to learn manual. Autos now are also much more able to handle power than the old slushboxes used to be. Auto is just becoming the more logical and sensible choice from all aspects.
Sponsored

ClayDee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LB 2018 GT350
I'm from Generation X, so I'm covered lol. Always prefer the manual, but unfortunately it seems that may be a thing of the past. Hopefully that's what will keep the GT350 unique from the 500, but I definitely would like to see a standard shift 500.

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
I love these manual vs automatic comments. Told ya'll that the GT350 won't be negatively affected in desirability once the GT500 rolls lol.
I don't have either, and cannot justify the cost vs. other family wants and needs, but if I could just have one of the two, it would be the GT350 over the GT500. Manual plus the sweet sound of the FPC revving would be my preference to over 700HP and lap time bragging rights. There is more to driving than just going faster.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I don't have either, and cannot justify the cost vs. other family wants and needs, but if I could just have one of the two, it would be the GT350 over the GT500. Manual plus the sweet sound of the FPC revving would be my preference to over 700HP and lap time bragging rights. There is more to driving than just going faster.
Which has also been eluded to in another thread as well. Some pretty nonsensical bench racing of the Demon and the GT500...that hasn't even been tested yet. I think it would be cool to have a GT500 and if the price is right I may consider it but if not, it won't take much for me to pull back and focus again on an NA build for my car.

CAL Captain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
There is more to driving than just going faster.
Someone who gets it.

I'm 64, lived a great life, did almost everything I ever wanted to do. The Bullitt has brought back real, actual FUN to my driving after 20 years of SUVs. Other than the tick/rattle, I wouldn't change a thing.

Sponsored

MikeMM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 on order
I am going to go out on a limb here. I am guessing that most of the people on this forum are in their 40s and up. We are probably the last generation that appreciate manual transmissions and many of us learned to drive on a manual as I did. Going back to the muscle car era and up through the early 2000ā€˜s, if you took two identical cars, one with an automatic transmission (or DCT) and one with a manual transmission, the manual transmission would always bring more money. 30 years from now who knows. Millennialā€™s donā€™t give a damn about driving, and none of them know how to shift a car. There will be a point where the manual transmission will no longer bring the money that they used to.
Ouch lol. I mean, I was 23 when I bought my 350. I grew up with a love of cars and taught myself how to drive stick at 16 because nobody would teach me. Several of my cars have been manuals over the years, and all of my friends who remotely like cars all drive stick. I don't think I have a single friend who doesn't at least know how to effectively operate a stick. I guess I, (and them), fall outside of the "typical millennial" crowd. Not saying I'm the best gear rower out there, but I'm definitely not in the "don't give a damn about driving and don't know how to shift a car" group as you're trying to suggest. We're not all entitled, brainless, little s**theads lol.

Nfs1000f

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neal
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 & 2019 Ford Fusion SEL Hybrid
Ouch lol. I mean, I was 23 when I bought my 350. I grew up with a love of cars and taught myself how to drive stick at 16 because nobody would teach me. Several of my cars have been manuals over the years, and all of my friends who remotely like cars all drive stick. I don't think I have a single friend who doesn't at least know how to effectively operate a stick. I guess I, (and them), fall outside of the "typical millennial" crowd. Not saying I'm the best gear rower out there, but I'm definitely not in the "don't give a damn about driving and don't know how to shift a car" group as you're trying to suggest. We're not all entitled, brainless, little s**theads lol.
What I should have said was that many millennialā€˜s donā€™t give a damn about driving and most canā€™t drive a car with a stick. I certainly did not suggest that millennialā€™s were entitled, brainless little shits. I have two daughters that are millennials who are very smart, but they canā€™t drive a stick nor have any desire to.

MikeMM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 on order
What I should have said was that many millennialā€˜s donā€™t give a damn about driving and most canā€™t drive a car with a stick. I certainly did not suggest that millennialā€™s were entitled, brainless little shits. I have two daughters that are millennials who are very smart, but they canā€™t drive a stick nor have any desire to.
Just busting your balls man. I know what you meant. I'm rather disappointed in the generation I'm unfortunately grouped with, but I truly believe the phase out of the stick shift is inevitable; whether my generation has any interest in them or not. Government and state regulations are putting a stranglehold on automakers to make vehicles more fuel efficient, and we no longer live in the era of autos being gas guzzlers. Autos are moving into gearing numbers (8, 10, 12 speed) that no stick can hope to match, all the while gaining serious fuel efficiency to boot. Going forward, I feel the autos, CVTs and DCTs are going to be the norm, and our beloved 3rd pedal is going to become an antiquated luxury reserved for only the few.

5.0AVP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rapid Red 401A PP1 GT
As a millennial I am going to offer a slightly different perspective here. I have owned 11 cars since I turned 16 (currently 33) and 9 of the 11 were manual. I tried a DSG in my first GTI because it was faster and got bored. It was gone in a year. Now I have an Edge Sport because I am a new father and my wife has a Focus RS so we needed something a bit bigger for our son and German Shepherd. Speaking of my wife I taught her how to drive stick when we were dating. Since I taught her she has bought four new cars. 3 of 4 were manual and the auto she had only lasted 10 months before we traded it in. I also taught my best friend on my 13 5.0. He now owns a Boss 302.

My father owned a manual transmission car from the day I was born to now. I grew up watching him shift his Saleen and later his SHO which would become mine. My and my sister's first new cars were both manual. My 25 year old sister still dailys a manual. My wife on the other hand, her dad never owned a manual. She drove a Buick when I met her. I had to coax her to try my Civic Si at the time. But when she finally mastered it she fell in love.

My point is my dad exposed me to manual transmissions. He taught me. He drove cars that made me fall in love with manual and shared them with me. There was never a car in my dad's garage that he wouldn't let me drive. My friends growing up? Their parents drove minivans, camry's and grand prixs. Which later turned to Explorers and Highlanders. Those same friends drive automatics now. Audi A8, Lexus ES350, Toyota Highlander. Is that their fault they don't know how to drive manual or care much about driving? Maybe. Or maybe the blame is shared with their parents.

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Manuals and Harleys...modern anachronisms that live on! Manuals have zero place in any modern day performance discussion.
I remember Randy P testing Porsches at Big Willow and the manual and PDK were within tenths of a second.

I'm not saying I personally can drive a manual as fast as I could drive a car with an automatic, but it is possible.

Gee, and here I thought the whole idea was to have fun, not ā€œperformance discussionsā€.
Agreed 100%. And I would say that the best part of a manual transmission is messing around with it in traffic. l love going to the track, but I can only afford to do that a handful of days per year. But I have to drive to work 5 days a week. I couldn't even stand the boredom of driving an automatic every day in traffic. Just shoot me now! If a manual isn't available I might as well have a self-driving car and just read a book or something instead.

sdiver68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1 10R80 Vert
Vehicle Showcase
I remember Randy P testing Porsches at Big Willow and the manual and PDK were within tenths of a second. I'm not saying I personally can drive a manual as fast as I could drive a car with an automatic, but it is possible.
Yes, it is mostly possible, save for the shift lag time which is a few tenths per lap. That can depend on the track as some only require a few shifts per lap.

Guys like Randy P are ALMOST as automatic as DCT. Where the difference comes is repeatability. Pros like Randy P are probably >99.5% perfect on their shifts but that few tenths and 1 mistake per 20 laps will easily cost position in racing. For track day guys, it's probably seconds per lap between speed of the shift, mistakes and mental energy being spent on shifting as opposed to all the things that make you fast.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I'm 31 and I've been driving manual since I got out of college. I had autos through high school and college, couldn't afford to mess around with cars. Meanwhile, my old man at 66 (god bless him) always asks me when I get another car "why the f*ck do you want another manual?"

Interestingly enough when I traded my Focus ST for my truck recently, he had to drive the FoST for a little while and every time I saw him he had a shit eating grin on his face. "Oh man, that thing scoots!" :crackup:
Sponsored