Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
I recently installed a Watson 4pt roll bar and wanted to share my thoughts and opinions for anyone curious or interested in adding one themselves.

Firstly, I chose Watson over the other brands simply because Ford uses Watson for their factory race car cages in the FP350S and I believe the GT4, though that car might be Multimatic.
The roll bar packaging was fine; everything was well protected. The kit comes with all necessary hardware and great color instructions. The install is fairly straight forward but those instructions do help.
Once the roll bar is in the car, the real challenge begins. These do not line up perfectly. It took many attempts to position the thing just right. The rear legs going into the trunk have to be positioned in the correct spot so it's bolted to frame and so the bolts have clearance through the floor. This thing was a b**** to get it lined up in the right spot.
Drilling the holes through the floor was also a headache. Do yourself a favor and get two things before you start drilling. 1) Cobalt drill bits 2) drill stops.
I started with the standard Home Depot titanium drill bits and they take forever. Once I bought some cobalt ones, the drill took a fraction of the time. Next, you really really really do not want to hit a brake line (like I unfortunately did) so use drill stops when drilling so if the bit catches and pulls you in, it can only go so far and ideally avoid contact with your brake lines.

Driving impressions: the added rigidity from the roll bar is very apparent. My car feels much stiffer now. Bumps in the road toss the car around more and the whole car feels like one solid piece. Feels more immediate if that makes sense.
Once I get this car on track again, I can update with on-track impressions
Sponsored

Davesvt2000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
I also went with the Watson roll bar for the same reasons you listed.

first, I had one installed in my 2012 Boss 302 LS, and then last year had one installed in my 2020 GT350.

I dropped my car off at Watson in Michigan and they did the install, figured it’s their piece and they’d know the tricks, and each time they had it done by the end of the second day, and their shop rate was reasonable.

on the Shelby I had them powdercoat it twister orange to match, and used their rear seat delete kit.

456896C8-CA8E-491E-95C6-5802FD979907.jpeg
7170C7EF-476B-480C-B0CD-2C3916852D4E.jpeg
906A9675-690D-46ED-8116-AC93261D29C9.jpeg

Bridgie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT fastback. PP, 50th trim, Black
I recently installed a Watson 4pt roll bar and wanted to share my thoughts and opinions for anyone curious or interested in adding one themselves.

Firstly, I chose Watson over the other brands simply because Ford uses Watson for their factory race car cages in the FP350S and I believe the GT4, though that car might be Multimatic.
The roll bar packaging was fine; everything was well protected. The kit comes with all necessary hardware and great color instructions. The install is fairly straight forward but those instructions do help.
Once the roll bar is in the car, the real challenge begins. These do not line up perfectly. It took many attempts to position the thing just right. The rear legs going into the trunk have to be positioned in the correct spot so it's bolted to frame and so the bolts have clearance through the floor. This thing was a b**** to get it lined up in the right spot.
Drilling the holes through the floor was also a headache. Do yourself a favor and get two things before you start drilling. 1) Cobalt drill bits 2) drill stops.
I started with the standard Home Depot titanium drill bits and they take forever. Once I bought some cobalt ones, the drill took a fraction of the time. Next, you really really really do not want to hit a brake line (like I unfortunately did) so use drill stops when drilling so if the bit catches and pulls you in, it can only go so far and ideally avoid contact with your brake lines.
I’m going through that now..
Nothing lines up, though I do like their disclaimer saying that holes may need to be opened or elongated.
Rear bar bolt holes do not align to straddle the cross member.

7D887CFB-A682-41BB-8641-9FC732337EC9.jpeg

Bridgie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
The cage is all in and fitted..
The fitting is definitely a job for a young-un.. I have climbed in nd out of the car over 100 times this weekend.
It was worth it.. just to say I can still do it . 🤓

The Watson racing seat delete was a simple install, a small amount of trim and cutting, but pretty simple.
B7C1F41E-3C26-43C9-B83F-16FD1DDFE99F.jpeg
83D9F268-14FA-4EEC-9751-4D4F1D996174.jpeg

3FA6C749-8271-403A-AADB-C002712FCDCA.jpeg

Bridgie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
In a few weeks, I will have a full interior front 50th anniversary heat and cool seat, plus all leather rear seats for sale..

no idea of value, but would like to offset the race seat and harness costs if possible…

Sponsored

nbjeeptj

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neill
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I have the Watson bar also. I dont remember if it was in the instructions but it is very important to install all bolts just hand tight till you have everything bolted up. I did not do this and until I went back and loosened it all up I could not get the angle bars to line up to the structure in the floor you are supposed to hit. Also remember it being a little difficult to get the backing nut plates into position on the rear supports, but all in all this is a very nice piece.

OP
OP
Ewheels

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I think the instructions tell you to fasten the main hoop to the floor with the legs attached and mark on the floor where to drill but that didn't provide enough wiggle room. I had the legs attached but the whole piece unbolted and moved it around until the whole thing sat where it was supposed to.

1635170993319.png

Love this view though. No interior for me as this is purely a track car

Bridgie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Love this view though. No interior for me as this is purely a track car
Do you listen to Music through those rear Speakers on the track too..? :)

OP
OP
Ewheels

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase