Sponsored

Water pump shot by 35k miles?

DR_Mach1Yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC 2500, 2022 GT500, 2023 Corvette Z06 !!!
Ok you are missing the whole point here. If water pump needs replacing and I am pulling the car apart you bet I am replacing common items that could go wrong that are cheap to do.

Warning sign uhh? when you are driving on a road trip at the worst time I have had shit go south. If you maintain it properly you dont have to worry about it.

And yeah I don't know what I am talking about.... I am a Mechanical Engineer and worked as a Mechanic at Ford for some time. LOL

I get your points and I believe for you to be correct, however saying you are a mechanical engineer and worked for ford is not a certification stamp that you know what you are talking about. Shoot its mechanical engineers that put starters inside transmission bell housing so you have to pull trans to change. I know to many mechanical engineers that should only be coloring in books. I worked at a company in Michigan that our task was literally to reverse engineer stuff made by ford mechanical engineers and make them better and give ford the new design.

Red65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red 1965 Coupe, 2017 Premium MT GT
yes it was quoted at $1600-1800 something like that.
My boss’s 16 explorer started leaking coolant out of the weep hole. Local dealership quoted him ~3600 to do the pump and timing chains, which they insisted on since he was over 100k

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
I get your points and I believe for you to be correct, however saying you are a mechanical engineer and worked for ford is not a certification stamp that you know what you are talking about. Shoot its mechanical engineers that put starters inside transmission bell housing so you have to pull trans to change. I know to many mechanical engineers that should only be coloring in books. I worked at a company in Michigan that our task was literally to reverse engineer stuff made by ford mechanical engineers and make them better and give ford the new design.
fair points, there is bad apples everywhere without mechanical engineers designing you would be riding a horse so ok lol

having said that I was making a point that I have had hands on experience and a degree on how mechanics work so I think I would be in better position as to some of the folks making up things. Not calling anyone out so don’t get your panties in a bunch.

DR_Mach1Yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC 2500, 2022 GT500, 2023 Corvette Z06 !!!
fair points, there is bad apples everywhere without mechanical engineers designing you would be riding a horse so ok lol

having said that I was making a point that I have had hands on experience and a degree on how mechanics work so I think I would be in better position as to some of the folks making up things. Not calling anyone out so don’t get your panties in a bunch.

I know that why I started with I agree with your points... however etc...

Sponsored

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Wasn't some of the earlier model year S550 water pump failures attributed to an inferior composite impeller? I also recall that replacement 5.0 WP's now have a metal impeller - can anyone confirm or deny the above?

Sponsored

MidnightStars

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
From this video:

It seems like it was a previous revision that seemed pretty flimsy--little plastic bit (yikes).
Sounds like the replacements you may get are different (new P/N). Apparently, the GT350 versions fit on as well.

Partock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
My car is in the shop right now for other work and found out my water pump is just starting to leak. I would suggest spending the extra money and get all those wear parts replaced with better parts while you're in there. The parts will cost but all the labor will be cheaper if you get it all done at the same time. Since my mechanic is already that far into my engine my cost was only the parts. Good to get it done at the same time and save money later.
I'm at just under 65000 miles.

Garfy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, 2012 Honda Fit Sport
…. And my 1997 kubota tractor still has it’s original radiator hoses in perfect condition.. and same for my 2000 Viper
I had an 1995 explorer with 300.000 miles and 25 years old on original hoses….
I believe in preventive maintenance but no reason to replace a perfectly good part…
I’m sure that you still have people changing perfectly good oil every 3000 miles
Our friend bought our 2007 Honda Fit and I think she has over 135,000 miles on it now but it still has the original radiator, water pump, radiator hoses; hoses still pliable and not super stiff nor super soft like jelly when they get contaminated. Amazing this Japanese rubber hoses (Gates & Goodyear hoses don't fare as well).

Garfy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, 2012 Honda Fit Sport
I had my water pump replaced at 55k miles. It is a known weak spot unfortunately. The water pump is one of those things on the V8, V6 and Ecoboost that either you get bad luck with it (like you and I) or you go tons of miles/years without anything happening. Replace it once and you will be all set. Sad to hear you had this issue out of warranty but this is once it is fixed you probably will never have an issue with it again.
Just be thankful that it's not like the early 3.5L V6 used in the Flex and Edge which requires removing the timing cover as the water pump is driven by the timing chain! I wonder what idiot designed that engine? Somehow 12 hours to replace a water pump is just insane.

ApplesAndOranges

Dare to compare
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
What ever you do, do not agree to pay the $1200.00 price they are quoting you, it's insane. There is no specialized knowledge needed and a local mechanic can do it for a substantially better price.
Sponsored