Water in my carbon fiber wing?

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I keep my wing in the track setting for normal ops. Anyone who has the wing knows there are water drains either side of the wing at the end plates. Those drains seem to be optimized for the lower street height setting.

So anyway, I took my wing off recently and set it aside while I was working on something. I went to replace the wing onto the mounts, and as I picked it up, I noticed the sound of sloshing water (not a lot, but definitely water). I rocked the wing end to end and sure enough, there is water in the wing. I placed it back on the mounts, and water started dripping out of the wing near the end plates.

Has anyone noticed the same thing? Does anyone keep their wing on the track setting? If they do, you may want to check it out.
Sponsored

Goose17

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Many Mustangs (collector)
I leave mine in the track setting as well, but my car doesn’t get driven in the rain and the only water hose action it sees are on the wheels and grille. I’m not sure how water could get in there, but even in the high setting, I would expect it to work it’s way out during normal driving: stop/accel/turn.

kstand

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 CFTP
@Tomster man I always jump on your posts. Your attention to detail would be hard to rival. It is unfortunate you have found so many things that are just, off, as an easy way to put it; however, you have undoubtedly helped many an owner in knowing what to look for!

Warpath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford GT500, 2021 Jeep Trackhawk
I leave mine in track too. I have washed mine twice and just ran out to check, and have not noticed any water in mine. I will keep an eye out for it. Appreciate the heads up.

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
The water is definately from washing the car. If anyone else has a CFTP, set the wing in the track setting and remove the wing after a few washes and let us know what you find. I seriously doubt that I am the only one with this issue (if it is even an issue at all)

Sponsored

kstand

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 CFTP
I leave mine in track too. I have washed mine twice and just ran out to check, and have not noticed any water in mine. I will keep an eye out for it. Appreciate the heads up.
What about snow @Warpath, isn't that more suited to your locale? LOL!

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
If that is the case, I guess I need to reach out to the manufacturer.

kstand

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 CFTP
The water is definately from washing the car. If anyone else has a CFTP, set the wing in the track setting and remove the wing after a few washes and let us know what you find. I seriously doubt that I am the only one with this issue (if it is even an issue at all)
@Tomster it's a "feature"

Warpath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If that is the case, I guess I need to reach out to the manufacturer.
Its been about a week since i washed it, and with the ceramic coating i do quick passes with the wand. I may not have given it enough water to fill much. But after what you've found lately i have no doubt mine will do the same thing.

Warpath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What about snow @Warpath, isn't that more suited to your locale? LOL!
Oh, man it can be!! Luckily It hasn't snowed that much in the last decade!! I need to move below that Mason-Dixon line and enjoy that tropical weather AR gets!! :wink:

Sponsored
OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
And you see no signs of water near the flanges they embed on the underside of the wing to attach to the uprights?

Goose17

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Many Mustangs (collector)
The only way I could see this being an “issue” is if a decent amount of water is trapped and then allowed to freeze. It would seriously suck ending up with a cracked carbon fiber wing.
Sponsored