Washing residue with Chem guys on 2020 GT w/ ceramic

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP Convertible
I've been using some of the Chem guys car washing products recently and noticed that after washing with all the super boojee stuff I was seeing a hazy film in the garage light reflections? If I used a microfiber it might wipe off and for sure with some detail spray. I had my GT coated with Ceramic last fall and has been looking great. Any one else have the hazy thing with the wash products?
Sponsored

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
They have a lot of products :)

I guess the good practice is to use ph neutral shampoo without any waxes or coatings. Your ceramic coating manufacturer might have a shampoo that is targeted for use in combination with the coating that you have.

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
I've been using some of the Chem guys car washing products recently and noticed that after washing with all the super boojee stuff I was seeing a hazy film in the garage light reflections? If I used a microfiber it might wipe off and for sure with some detail spray. I had my GT coated with Ceramic last fall and has been looking great. Any one else have the hazy thing with the wash products?
When a car is ceramic coated, you need to make sure the soap you are using has no gloss enhancers or wax, that would cause haziness as the coating is attempting to reject it. That doesn't mean those products are bad, more so they don't play well with your coating.

Normally, you would say use the soap designed in conjunction with the coating. As a general rule, any soap sold alongside a ceramic coating range should be gloss enhancement free. A couple of examples -

- Carpro Reset is designed to work with their range of coatings, and coatings in general. You would say the same Gyeon Bathe, Gtechniq G-Wash and P&S Pearl.

-Any soap with claims of "boosting gloss", "conditioner" or "increased shine" will not be desirable for coatings. Meguiar's Gold Class for example.

-Some soaps while not designed with coatings in mind but don't contain gloss enhancers would include Koch Chemie GSF, Adams Car Shampoo and NV Snow.

smokescreens

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
2014 impala, 2017 HD. 2018 Royal C mustang gt pp1
When a car is ceramic coated, you need to make sure the soap you are using has no gloss enhancers or wax, that would cause haziness as the coating is attempting to reject it. That doesn't mean those products are bad, more so they don't play well with your coating.

Normally, you would say use the soap designed in conjunction with the coating. As a general rule, any soap sold alongside a ceramic coating range should be gloss enhancement free. A couple of examples -

- Carpro Reset is designed to work with their range of coatings, and coatings in general. You would say the same Gyeon Bathe, Gtechniq G-Wash and P&S Pearl.

-Any soap with claims of "boosting gloss", "conditioner" or "increased shine" will not be desirable for coatings. Meguiar's Gold Class for example.

-Some soaps while not designed with coatings in mind but don't contain gloss enhancers would include Koch Chemie GSF, Adams Car Shampoo and NV Snow.

Yeah. Maguire's gold class is the soap i used. Clogged up my coating and everytime i washed the car i had to go over it with the quick detailer. Learning curves

Sponsored

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Prepping for Skye, I studied this topic. I was concerned whatever I was going to use could potentially change the appearance of the M1 graphics.

Chemical Guys recommended their Meticulous Matte auto wash. It's a soap with no enhancers. While made for matte finishes, it can be used on any car. It's just a soap, with nothing to visually enhance the appearance or finish.

I've used the wash twice and am happy with it. No spots or streaks after using on a regular finish. Intend to continue to use after PPF.

I agree with @DFB5.0 that the Chemical Guys line, while good, contains a lot of overlap. Multiple products performing the same function and their uses are not always clear.

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
I agree with @DFB5.0 that the Chemical Guys line, while good, contains a lot of overlap. Multiple products performing the same function and their uses are not always clear.
I find it just so confusing, and that's from someone who has the time and patience to study this sort of thing.

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Yeah. Maguire's gold class is the soap i used. Clogged up my coating and everytime i washed the car i had to go over it with the quick detailer. Learning curves
Gold Class is a great soap, I used it for a long time. As I said, a good product, but not necessarily good for each application.

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
I find it just so confusing, and that's from someone who has the time and patience to study this sort of thing.
It’s all advertising hoopla. They have have a dozen different soaps in which the only difference is the smell.
I use honeydew or sticky snowball foam wash. They have a product called hydrospeed that is good for coated cars but it’s a wipe on/wipe off product so it requires a little work.

smokescreens

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
2014 impala, 2017 HD. 2018 Royal C mustang gt pp1
Gold Class is a great soap, I used it for a long time. As I said, a good product, but not necessarily good for each application.
For sure. I just use it on my non coated toys now.

Sponsored

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
I use CG's Honeydew Snowfoam exclusively and have no issues with residue on coated or non-coated vehicles. Blow dry and perfect gloss everywhere, not a smudgle and nary a towel touches. I've never tested the pH of the stuff but I'm a happy camper cuz it works.

Why didn't I learn about blow drying vehicles DECADES ago? <shaking head> LOVE that thing (Metrovac) and would never go back to using drying towels. And BION, despite meticulous care, drying towels WILL put spider webs in your clear coat. Zero with a good blow dryer which made it WAY worth the expense.

OP
OP
gone_n_60

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
to that assertion I say "no shit!" LOL (too many choices)

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
I also love a blower for drying. I have a Ryobi battery powered shop blower that works great and is light weight and easy to use.

OP
OP
gone_n_60

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
fyi my Ceramic coating is GTechniq brand.