Sponsored

Was the Bullitt a great deal after all?

8GTOKLR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 DHG Bullitt
The Bullitt used is a great deal if you can jump thru the hoops of financing requirements. Finding the Bullitt new in base form and no markups would have been a great deal. I believe the Mach 1 is in the same boat. the best deal is the one you can afford. My 2 cents
Sponsored

jpboats

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I bought mine with 4000 miles on it. It’s the same as a Mach 1 or seriously close to it. My used one was 40, 000 ? So it has 20 hp more than the 2018. So yes it’s a bit different.

Joeblowv1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt, 2005 F150 FX4
Im happy with mine at right around 45K out the door - "used" with 60 miles on it (yes 60, guy let it depreciate in his garage) They probably weren't a "great deal" new, but I love the depreciation these manual transmission only "lot rocks" took on as it helped me get into one.

Mach one is more with "inflation" and is a lot more flashy, would be interested in doing a quick "comparison" of the Tremec to my MT82, but thats about it, I have no issues with my Bullitt or lust for a mach 1

Not a huge fan of the super long gears for driving like an idiot, but love them for the drivability. I test drove a 2016PP car and I was shifting constantly. Car is a "semi" daily, will rack up the miles once the snow thaws here, only driving the truck for now.

The Rooster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
uh, ALL 18+ cars with PP1/PP2 package (3.73 gears) have the "Bullitt" trans. The Bullitt is not special.

Whatever... gearing in the Tremec is a lot better.
And assuming the mach gets the same ratios as the 350 it will be more fun to drive that any mustang with the mt82

Sponsored

OP
OP

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
And assuming the mach gets the same ratios as the 350 it will be more fun to drive that any mustang with the mt82
I've driven both, didn't really notice enough of a difference to really care, both feel like they need a 4.09+ or should just have the 15-17 gearing.

Bullitt_3461

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
22 Mustang Mach 1
I've driven both, didn't really notice enough of a difference to really care, both feel like they need a 4.09+ or should just have the 15-17 gearing.
Do you guys have a link to what the gear ratios are for each of these?
I know we have 373, what are the gt350 and the 15-17 ratios?

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
what are the gt350 and the 15-17 ratios?
I asked this Internet Oracle most wise. He said to call him Google. And he spake:
https://media.ford.com/content/dam/fordmedia/North America/US/product/2019/mustang/2019-mustang-techspecs.pdf

Our friends from Steeda also have this well illustrated guide but it doesn't cover the Mach1 just yet:
https://www.steeda.com/mustang-manual-transmission-guide#/filter:ss_ymm:Mustang$253E2019 but it looks like they got a little sloppy with the cut/paste. @tj@steeda might want to fix the MY18 to reflect the D4 ratios.

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
Speaking of the gearing having had both a '16 GT and now the Bullitt, the ideal for me is probably having the 1st gear from the Bullitt and the rest from the '16 GT.

In the Bullitt, moving away from a stop is much quicker in day-to-day driving where I'm shifting at 3-3.5k RPM. With the '16 I'd barely be across the intersection and having to change up already. It's akin to having little small wheels on the car.

After 1st, I'd likely prefer the shorter gearing of the '16 GT. As it is, I don't even use 6th gear on the hiway unless I'm at 130 km/h (78 mph).

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
Looking at the Mach1 page, to spec out the same options as my Bullitt (but no leather seats for some reason) the Mach1 is $57,500. Thats almost 5K more than my Bullitt was.

I know the Mach1 has the GT350 tranny, a wider wheel and an extra cooler or 2, but is that REALLY worth a price hike of 5K? I've not seen many 2019+ GT's having issues with their MT-82 after the latest revisions, and I doubt 80% of people would even know there was another cooler unless you told them, they won't be tracking it much. It just feels like for 5K I could get myself a nice wheel/tire combo and either add my own Rear diff cooler, or just pocket the extra $. FOr the price I feel they could have ATLEAST added GT350 brakes as well.

It really makes me feel like the used/left over GT350, PP2 and Bullitt are all just MUCH better buys unless you need an auto.
That is a good question.
The Mach 1 I ordered has a MSRP of 59090. My Bullitt with similar options (every option except recaro seats) had a MSRP of 51780. This includes the gas guzzler tax of $1,000 which I didn't pay on the '19 Bullitt. So, honestly 7K more MSRP/MSRP. If you compare to the '20 Bullitt which had the GG tax then about 6K or so.
The reasons I am purchasing the Mach 1 were the following.
-Tremec
-Wheel options; my build includes the performace wheels which I really like, but not available on the Bullitt. Never really was a big fan of the Bullitt wheels. Plus that 1/2 inch wider rim which would allow 295 on the rear.
- Appearance. I definitely like the "stickers" and stuff much better. Including the color Iconic silver.
- The original Mach 1 was from my generation. It has nostalgic appeal to me. The Bullitt was never a Ford car until '01. I was raising my family then and had no interest in cars.
- Love the front end design and grill.
- Like the idea of the undercarriage stuff. GT500 parts, etc.
- Love the exhaust tips and I understand the active exhaust is tuned differently. When I spoke with Alyssa, the Ford engineer driving the blue Mach 1, she tracked several cars and likes the Mach 1. But watching her pull away with that exhaust note it was simply awesome.

That said, it really isn't mechanically THAT different from the Bullitt. The Bullitt is a great car. But, for me, it was other attributes.

Sponsored

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
All those that say the car should have had a shaker hood maybe never had one. They were a heavy piece of junk. They did little for performance, and guess what: MOST Mach 1s from '69-70 never had one.

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Speaking of the gearing having had both a '16 GT and now the Bullitt, the ideal for me is probably having the 1st gear from the Bullitt and the rest from the '16 GT.

In the Bullitt, moving away from a stop is much quicker in day-to-day driving where I'm shifting at 3-3.5k RPM. With the '16 I'd barely be across the intersection and having to change up already. It's akin to having little small wheels on the car.

After 1st, I'd likely prefer the shorter gearing of the '16 GT. As it is, I don't even use 6th gear on the hiway unless I'm at 130 km/h (78 mph).
Remember if the Tremec in the Mach 1 is the same transmission as the GT350, 5th is 1;1 not 4th.

blitzburgh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BMW M2C
I loved my Bullitt for the short time I had it. My only gripe really is that ford over produced it. In my area there were lots of non current '19s left over selling for gt pricing. As a result I got rinsed trading mine in.
They didn't over produce. Dealers slapped ADM stickers on them and people said no.
They were left on the lot. As a result of ADM you took a bath trading yours in.

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
I asked this Internet Oracle most wise. He said to call him Google. And he spake:
https://media.ford.com/content/dam/fordmedia/North America/US/product/2019/mustang/2019-mustang-techspecs.pdf

Our friends from Steeda also have this well illustrated guide but it doesn't cover the Mach1 just yet:
https://www.steeda.com/mustang-manual-transmission-guide#/filter:ss_ymm:Mustang$253E2019 but it looks like they got a little sloppy with the cut/paste. @tj@steeda might want to fix the MY18 to reflect the D4 ratios.
Steeda's guide is incorrect. Look at their published gearing for the '18-20. That's the '17 and down gearing. 1st in the MT82D4 is 3.23 I believe. A BIG difference.

OP
OP

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
They didn't over produce. Dealers slapped ADM stickers on them and people said no.
They were left on the lot. As a result of ADM you took a bath trading yours in.
Likely, it was some of both + COVID.
Sponsored