Sponsored

Warranty service appointment more than a month out?

SEAICE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BW
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Having a random, A10 transmission short-slip, and some throttle tip-off rattle when my car is cold. Called the local dealer to make a warranty service appointment and their "first available date" is well into September. I am incredulous. So I asked, "what if I just show up tomorrow morning?" and was told they only take appointments or tow-ins. Have I just been lucky the past few decades and not had an (undrivable) car needing warranty work? This is as bad as making a doctor's appointment...
Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I was pretty unhappy with the wait times to get even small warranty work done at my local dealership. They’ve got a captive audience.

actually went to a known good mechanic and paid out of pocket for one thing.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
It is still "pandemic times" and many places are still lacking employees, which is causing delays for nearly anything service oriented.

OP
OP
SEAICE

SEAICE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BW
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
It is still "pandemic times" and many places are still lacking employees, which is causing delays for nearly anything service oriented.
I don't know... A lot of shops I can get into as a drive-up or an appointment within a couple days for my other non-warranty cars...

The Demon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 N5809, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Vehicle Showcase
Having a random, A10 transmission short-slip, and some throttle tip-off rattle when my car is cold. Called the local dealer to make a warranty service appointment and their "first available date" is well into September. I am incredulous. So I asked, "what if I just show up tomorrow morning?" and was told they only take appointments or tow-ins. Have I just been lucky the past few decades and not had an (undrivable) car needing warranty work? This is as bad as making a doctor's appointment...
I am assuming because it’s warranty work. I can make an appointment for anything for this Saturday or next.

Sponsored

White_Bear_92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Base 10 speed
Just a heads up, I had mine checked out for lift off rattle when cold, and the dealer showed me both Mustangs and F-150's that do the same thing, and that there was no need for concern at this point as they've not detected it doing damage. So I wouldn't expect anything to get done for that.

I've since been sending it without issue, and I had this checked out over 10K miles ago.

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
Or goods oriented. Most of all the equipment I sell has longer lead times now due to lack of employees at our plants, or our vendor's plants.

catdaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 iconic silver pp1

were booking at least a week away currently, and parts are severly backordered currenty

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.
Not buying this.
Dealers cut tech staff, because the sales end has almost nothing to sell. and payroll is a big cost to any business .
They also know, You are not going to any other place than a ford dealer for warranty work.
The non warranty work/service gets first dibs, as that is all gravy for the service dept. customer pays when car is picked up. unlike warranty jobs, that they have to wait on ford to pay them.
Also warranty jobs, pay crap flag times. They know, (service manager) that if they hand techs mostly warranty work that pays crap flagged hour time for the service, the tool box is on wheels.
If the o.e.m. paid the same book time for warranty work as they charge for the same job that isn't warranty job. There be no wait, other than the lack of tech staff on hand waiting for work.
Till the sales floor can stock and sell , there will be less techs in the service dept.
For those that don't know. Warranty jobs pay 2/3rd the normal billable hours or less, than non-warranty. And with most dealer service techs, on flat rate pay. They rather the work orders that are non warranty, and pay full book time, and/or are gravy.
This is why techs hate warranty work.
Why take a work order that pay 3.4 flagged flat rate hours, when you can grab the same job, that is not warranty and it pays 4.9 flagged flat rate hours, the job will take the tech the same amount. but one will earn the tech 50-100+ more in his/her pay check.

catdaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 iconic silver pp1
OT
Not buying this.
Dealers cut tech staff, because the sales end has almost nothing to sell. and payroll is a big cost to any business .
They also know, You are not going to any other place than a ford dealer for warranty work.
The non warranty work/service gets first dibs, as that is all gravy for the service dept. customer pays when car is picked up. unlike warranty jobs, that they have to wait on ford to pay them.
Also warranty jobs, pay crap flag times. They know, (service manager) that if they hand techs mostly warranty work that pays crap flagged hour time for the service, the tool box is on wheels.
If the o.e.m. paid the same book time for warranty work as they charge for the same job that isn't warranty job. There be no wait, other than the lack of tech staff on hand waiting for work.
Till the sales floor can stock and sell , there will be less techs in the service dept.
For those that don't know. Warranty jobs pay 2/3rd the normal billable hours or less, than non-warranty. And with most dealer service techs, on flat rate pay. They rather the work orders that are non warranty, and pay full book time, and/or are gravy.
This is why techs hate warranty work.
Why take a work order that pay 3.4 flagged flat rate hours, when you can grab the same job, that is not warranty and it pays 4.9 flagged flat rate hours, the job will take the tech the same amount. but one will earn the tech 50-100+ more in his/her pay check.

There's no hidden agenda or conspiracy. We book warranty and retail just the same. Techs obviously prefer retail but don't have any say/control over what's booked in. There's also massive parts shortages current. Fwiw I've been a advisor in a large Ford dealer for 10+ years

Sponsored

Deleted member 35644

The end of the eviction moratorium and cutting off the free money will solve some of this. Time for folks to get back to work.

Excelerater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Another reason,they have no new vehicles to sell so people
are holding on to what they already own because they have no
choice , so maintenance is the new big deal

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
That and the parts supply chain is still fubared. Also, a shortage of service loaners for those that have first day rental coverage.

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OT

There's no hidden agenda or conspiracy. We book warranty and retail just the same. Techs obviously prefer retail but don't have any say/control over what's booked in. There's also massive parts shortages current. Fwiw I've been a advisor in a large Ford dealer for 10+ years
Ya, right. Some techs the service manager hands all the gravy, and some get the shaft.
A paying customer trumps warranty jobs at every dealer I've worked at, and my whole group of vo tec class that work at dealers, About 90% of them) And we all have 32-35 years in.
Service advisers job is to make the dealership money NOW, not a month from now. So the paying customer gets first dibs.
Those that ARE dealership techs know better. but your mileage may vary. BRB going to get taller boots, for when you reply.

Last edited:

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Another reason,they have no new vehicles to sell so people
are holding on to what they already own because they have no
choice , so maintenance is the new big deal
I don't know. most dealers I've gone to, have stock, just not as much as they used too. you might not get to be picky on color, etc.
Most are holding out because they are used to, incentives, and dealer web site pricing under MSRP. Both that are not happening ATM. Both may never return anyways, now that dealers and the factories know people will still buy at or near or over MSRP. Those holding out, might have to get on board to the new normal.
The fed is getting ready to start raising % rates. So those waiting might get hosed anyways.
Sponsored