Sponsored

Warranty of stereo / sound system question?

Jaay_d5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Gt
Hey guys
I am the second owner of my mustang and the previous owner added a aftermarket sound system i was wondering if warranty would cover any issues the after market sound system have? My guess is a no but I’m unsure since the oem factory base model speakers are on there still and they aren’t working. The issue i am experiencing is the sound only comes from the middle speaker in the dash. A sound system shop added a converter and it got the speakers to work but it cuts off after a while off playing music.
Sponsored

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
No, your warranty won't cover any aftermarket stereo equipment. Or engine, transmission, suspension, etc mods not done by any specifically warranted by Ford.

Further, it sounds like the speakers are fine and there's a problem between the head unit and the speakers. I'd be looking at what equipment, exactly, has been added/exchanged and how it's been wired/interfaced with the factory equipment.

It seems extremely unlikely to me that the speakers are bad since they were not working, and an "adapter" was added and they worked but "cut out".

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Things like stereo systems, mood lighting, dash clusters, center stacks, USB, SYNC, switches, interior electrical are all covered under the original new car 3/36 Bumper to Bumper. Once that is depleted either by years or miles (whichever comes first), the owner can’t make a warranty claim.

If you source an Extended Warranty plan that covers such major electrical components and many modern day interior components (as specifically outlined in the policy being purchased), then such components will be covered (and usually with a minimal deductible again depending on the policy chosen).

Now since someone modified the existing stereo system with aftermarket components - neither the 3/36 or an extended warranty will cover those items at all because they have been modified beyond the factory as built specs. Your best bet is to source a reputable stereo installer who can review the now existing issues on top of the original problem and fix - OR see if anyone here can provide some diagnosis that may assist with your DIY fixing of the problem.

Take some pics of everything and post up here - I’m sure many of the stereo techies can offer lots of help.

Last edited:

BimmerDriver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT convertible w/3 pedals, BMW M550i
It's probably overheating... does it last longer if you don't crank it up to 10? Part II is, do you know where this converter is hiding?

JimC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 EcoBoost performance package coupe
No, Ford won't cover the aftermarket stuff. Warranties are pretty simple: Ford warranties the car that Ford built - they didn't build your car with that sound system so they have nothing to do with it going bad.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jaay_d5.0

Jaay_d5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Gt
No, your warranty won't cover any aftermarket stereo equipment. Or engine, transmission, suspension, etc mods not done by any specifically warranted by Ford.

Further, it sounds like the speakers are fine and there's a problem between the head unit and the speakers. I'd be looking at what equipment, exactly, has been added/exchanged and how it's been wired/interfaced with the factory equipment.

It seems extremely unlikely to me that the speakers are bad since they were not working, and an "adapter" was added and they worked but "cut out".
Thanks man one of the speakers have the static sound even when the stereo volume is off! The driver side speaker at the top Sometimes when playing my music it goes from all the speakers cut out to the middle speaker only than to the side driver speakers (not in order just random) i am not sure if my door speakers work but what i do know is they added

OP
OP
Jaay_d5.0

Jaay_d5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Gt
It's probably overheating... does it last longer if you don't crank it up to 10? Part II is, do you know where this converter is hiding?
I actually didn’t asked where he put the converter. But i will try leaving it below 10 volume to see if it last longer without cutting out

OF5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2022 Shelby GT500 CFTP
Thanks man one of the speakers have the static sound even when the stereo volume is off! The driver side speaker at the top Sometimes when playing my music it goes from all the speakers cut out to the middle speaker only than to the side driver speakers (not in order just random) i am not sure if my door speakers work but what i do know is they added
I suspect that something is causing a momentary short circuit due to a loose connection.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
one of the speakers have the static sound even when the stereo volume is off!
That's not good, and obviously an issue with the sound system. Which one do you have? B&O, or base? Just curious. And your car being a 2019, it should absolutely be covered under warranty. Good luck.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
That's not good, and obviously an issue with the sound system. Which one do you have? B&O, or base? Just curious. And your car being a 2019, it should absolutely be covered under warranty. Good luck.
Aftermarket stereo installs are never covered under warranty.

Previous owner likely installed it themselves and didn't make solid connections.
Sponsored