Sponsored

Warped Rotors At 2300 miles. Replace or resurface?

CarcaineProblem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2011 Mustang GT A/T
Hi Guys,

So I bought my 2019 GT350 earlier this year. Didn’t drive the car much with all the lockdowns, and yet somehow, my car ended up making a shudder sound while braking, from the front driver’s side. The pedal shakes and there’s a ton of vibration. Took it to the dealer, and as I suspected, it was warped rotors. At 2300 miles.

The dealer is trying to resurface/turn my rotor, but I remember a service bulletin that specifically says NOT to turn the rotors on GT350’s. Here it is:

SSM 45903 - 2015-2017 Shelby GT350 And GT350R Brake Service
2015-2017 Shelby GT350 and GT350R vehicles should not have the brake rotors machined when servicing the brake system. Replacement of brake rotors is the only acceptable service of brake rotors on GT350 and GT350R vehicles. GT350 and GT350Rvehicles are equipped with a brake system designed for high speed and superior fade resistance. Occasional brake squeal and elevated levels of brake dust may occur. This is normal and does not affect brake system performance. Refer to the Workshop Manual Section 206-00 and the Mustang Owner's Manual and the Shelby GT350 Owner's Manual Supplement for further information.

Thing is, it only mentions 2015-2017’s, but does it also include the 2018-2020’s? My supplement manual doesn’t have anything about this. Not sure if the FSM’s have it either.

I told the dealer about this and they said there are no service bulletins for this car regarding this issue, so they will just resurface the rotor. But where do I find anything that states this should be handled differently?
Sponsored

meterman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R KR785
I was told by the Ford service manager that the Ford warranty covers the rotors (at least on my 350R) for 12 months or 12,000 miles, which ever comes first. Maybe reach out to the service manager and see if they will warrant them.

jmn444

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
gt350
for what it's worth, i've turned two sets of fronts now for track use to remove pad deposits, they are fine IMO to turn as long as you aren't removing crazy amounts of metal. Especially for street use I wouldn't be concerned, but I do wonder what caused it on your car w/ minimal miles, did you track it?

OP
OP

CarcaineProblem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was told by the Ford service manager that the Ford warranty covers the rotors (at least on my 350R) for 12 months or 12,000 miles, which ever comes first. Maybe reach out to the service manager and see if they will warrant them.
My service manager is fighting me over it, but I will escalate this if I need to. He is insisting that this isn't warranty work, and that I would have to pay for the turning. He even states that even if it is covered under warranty, only turning them would be covered, not replacing them. Does this sound right to you?

Sponsored

OP
OP

CarcaineProblem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
for what it's worth, i've turned two sets of fronts now for track use to remove pad deposits, they are fine IMO to turn as long as you aren't removing crazy amounts of metal. Especially for street use I wouldn't be concerned, but I do wonder what caused it on your car w/ minimal miles, did you track it?
I have no idea. The car was parked for a good while, only thing I remember happening was the front brakes "locked" when I was pulling away from my parking spot. This happens often every time I park it for over a week or so. When I pull away, I feel some resistance and a strong thud.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
the thud is the breaking of the pad-to-rotor 'rust welding' that occurs. Generally it only comes from the rear because of the parking brake. I suspect you need your lines bled and your problem side checked for failure to retract pistons. One fairly easy experiment is to drive your car a bit and then roll to a stop using no brakes and grab your IR thermometer and take a reading of left vs right. I think you'll find your problem caliper is dragging real bad and the rotor will be very hot compared to the other.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
So, I seriously doubt the rotors are warped. That doesn't really happen on rotors this big and robust. As other have said, it's likely pad deposits. From personal experience, it's probably the rear rotors (my first set had the same issue). Rear rotor replacement and you'll probably be fine.

jmn444

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
gt350
So, I seriously doubt the rotors are warped. That doesn't really happen on rotors this big and robust. As other have said, it's likely pad deposits. From personal experience, it's probably the rear rotors (my first set had the same issue). Rear rotor replacement and you'll probably be fine.
that's interesting, i'm still on my orig rear rotors haha, i've only had issues with the fronts.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Parked mine when it was a little wet and 4 days later, mine also made that pop sound of the pad breaking free from the rotor. Mine then did exactly what you described - vibration and sound when braking. I was pretty sure a small piece of pad likely broke loose and stuck to the rotor. I hit the brakes moderately hard a few times and was able to clear it up.

Sponsored

jmn444

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
gt350
only time i've had similar is winter with a car I parked outside... still had track pads on it and i think the metal content bonded/rusted to the rotor.. took a lot of throttle to break it free haha... no pulsations after though, but guessing the theory of some pad material sticking is likely your issue.

meterman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R KR785
My service manager is fighting me over it, but I will escalate this if I need to. He is insisting that this isn't warranty work, and that I would have to pay for the turning. He even states that even if it is covered under warranty, only turning them would be covered, not replacing them. Does this sound right to you?
I was told replacing them was covered. I made the mistake of trying to get one more track day out of mine and scored them badly. I reached out to my sales guy to ask if they wanted to match the internet price I could buy them for. That's when he told me his dad was the service manager and they might be warranted. Now my circumstances were totally different than yours. My pads gouged my rotors but the service manager said he would reach out to Ford, even knowing my situation, to see if they would replace them or refund the $1200 I just paid. Ford said no, which I understood, I fuc*'d them up. The service manager did turn my old ones at no charge. All I keep hearing is every dealer is different so hopefully you might have enough info to get them to do something.

Rose City R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
1963 1/2 Ford Galaxie R code, 2020 GT350R, 1991 Mazda Miata SE
I agree with Honeybadger that the rotors are not warped. Before you turn the rotors or replace them, go through the brake bedding procedure. Often times, that is enough to remove any pad deposits and restore a vibration-free brake pedal/steering wheel.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
or just remove the wheel and hit the rotor with some 160 grit sandpaper on a sanding block.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I think if you never use the brakes hard this can happen. I agree with others to try a few moderately hard stops in a row and see if that will clean them up.
Sponsored