Sponsored

Wanting to buy a used 2016 GT, carfax says the AC Evaporator was recently replaced...

bucsfan514

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT PP
So I found a pretty solid deal on a 2016 PP GT ($25K), one owner, clean carfax, 31k miles on it, however it says at 28K miles the AC Evaporator had to be replaced. I had no idea this was a common issue on the S550's until now. For those of you that have experienced it before, would you say I should steer clear of the car because of it? Is it bad enough to the point where it will eventually give me more problem's than the car is worth? Should I keep looking for another GT?

Thanks guys
Sponsored

sese

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sebastian
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Had mine replaced at 14,000 miles. Now I have about 18,000 miles on my 2016. No problems since.

Bald Menace

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Menace
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2 king Cobra
So I found a pretty solid deal on a 2016 PP GT ($25K), one owner, clean carfax, 31k miles on it, however it says at 28K miles the AC Evaporator had to be replaced. I had no idea this was a common issue on the S550's until now. For those of you that have experienced it before, would you say I should steer clear of the car because of it? Is it bad enough to the point where it will eventually give me more problem's than the car is worth? Should I keep looking for another GT?

Thanks guys
there are many folks out there on 2nd or third evap replacement already. definitely something to take into consideration.

OP
OP

bucsfan514

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT PP
there are many folks out there on 2nd or third evap replacement already. definitely something to take into consideration.
That's my worry, that even though it's been replaced, there's a solid chance it can happen again. Not to mention the car is 5K miles away from being out of warranty.

Sponsored

Boggus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT PP
I'll sell you mine! 2016 with 31k and Evap replaced also

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
That's my worry, that even though it's been replaced, there's a solid chance it can happen again. Not to mention the car is 5K miles away from being out of warranty.
Get an extended warranty and make sure it covers the AC. Every car out there can have some kind of issue. I don't think the extended warranty rates on these cars are that bad.

Bald Menace

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Menace
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2 king Cobra
Get an extended warranty and make sure it covers the AC. Every car out there can have some kind of issue. I don't think the extended warranty rates on these cars are that bad.
yup, that is the only way I would buy a car with a well known issue like the a/c evap coils, especially since it is well documented that the replacement parts are failing as well.

Freedom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, '22 Tesla Model 3, '22 F-150 Lightning
On the topic of replacement ac evaps, was there a consensus of the weather condition causing it to fail? Iā€™ve noticed many of them happened in Florida.

solodogg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
You're in Florida, you'll replace it again. If you get it, purchase an extended warranty for sure. I'm on my 3rd evaporator, and will be putting in #4 very soon (blows warm air out of the drivers vents now unless I have the temp set 3-4 degrees lower). Ford refuses to assist with replacement outside of warranty, and most dealers charge north of 2k for the replacement.

Sponsored

Billy1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Tell them you want the extended warranty for free, or no deal. I am surprised this situation has not resulted in an official recall or a class action lawsuit.

Weasel1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Is the Evap failure also a common failure on the 17 GTā€™s, or is it a ā€˜16 issue?

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
I've a 16 GT w/32,500 miles & no problems with my A/C evaporator or anything else? I have the extended warranty as well, but don't know if my A/C is covered, rot ro.

Last edited:

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Is the Evap failure also a common failure on the 17 GTā€™s, or is it a ā€˜16 issue?
So far, itā€™s affected some 2015-2017ā€™s - nothing has been reported yet from 2018 owners.

This thread contains all EVAP concerns, itā€™s quite large for those who have not seen it; as others have said, some 2015-2017 owners have had multiple replacements.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62682

There is also discussion that the Ford part number has been revised multiple times. Itā€™s very hard to follow which is the most current Ford part number because anyone whoā€™s posted their work order has a different part claiming to be the most current. It is also not clear if any of those who have had the ā€œmost currentā€ Ford part have had to go back for another round of R&R after a fix.

If youā€™re out of warranty, the cost exceeds $1,000+ to repair.

stevegt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT Premium. 2019 GT PP1 ordered
Iā€™ve read that the evaporator has been redesigned and is coming from a new supplier, so no more problems for those who got the new evaporator. Those with multiple replacements were most likely getting the original evaporator from the original supplier. Sorry I donā€™t have the dates when they started using the new style evaporator from the new supplier.
Sponsored