Not open for further replies.

Shawn82

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Treigh
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang HPP
Markups have been around for several years now. They are not going away any time soon. So why people still feel the need to post this stuff is beyond me. All day every day on every darn Facebook sale post all you can see is people crying and complaining about price and markups. If you don't like the price, move on and find one you can afford. Or drop down to a lower trim and be happy with what you can afford or justify buying. Sitting here ridiculing and insulting every markup for the millionth time tho, that is just silly at this point.
Thank you lol this is so annoying to see every time.
Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
The ADM topic has been flogged to death, or so I thought. Some are content to pay a markup, and some aren’t. Simple as that.

I fall into the latter category. I’ve never paid anywhere near list for any new vehicle, but I finally convinced myself over time that I would have happily paid sticker for a GT500. Silly me decided to hold out for a ’22 and see what new colors might be had, and had the notion that an MSRP deal might be more easily had since guys snatched up the ‘20s and ‘21s and demand might be less. Again, silly me. Meanwhile, the whole supply chain thing hit and its impact on the automotive industry and new vehicle supply and prices thereof pretty much killed the possibility of getting one at list. Not to mention Ford’s price bumps for ’22 made it even less attractive from a bang for the buck standpoint, never mind an ADM. Argh.

So, frustrated with dealer gouging and waiting lists, I bought more real estate instead last spring, and as I type this I have a standing offer of half again what I paid for said land in May. Which would easily cover a ’22 GT500 with a reasonable ADM. It’s awfully tempting, but silly me can’t (and won’t) do it.

DopamineQuest

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 Carbonized Gray
I wouldn't pay $50,000 for a 2022 Mustang in 2022 dollars. To be fair that applies just as equally to the Camaro SS/1LE and Challenger SCAT in either body flavor. Low/mid-40's is defensible.
That's cool, but do you know what 50k in 2022 money got you in 2001 money (29.6kish)? A 2001 Cobra or a 2001 Camaro SS, both of which would get absolutely shitstomped in every metric imaginable it would be laughable.

We're getting a LOT more car for our money these days.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Yes today's car is a vast improvement over one released 20 years ago. But that's the same for the Honda Accord and VW GTI and so forth. It's the way of time and progress. But just because it's better doesn't mean you can then defend today's Mustang being upcharged to 70K, a 40% premium for ~nothing.

The only way a Mustang costs 150k in the 10 year horizon is if the US Dollar becomes toilet paper. Or 40+ years of sequestering (aka hiding) inflation overseas via trade come back onshore. Which is basically the same thing.

4V Mayhem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium M6
These days if you want higher trim stuff then it comes down to one thing only. That thing is whether or not you can afford what someone is charging.
QUOTE " So if you are older then I can see why $150K might seem like a lot for a Mustang. But in another 20-40 years a standard GT might be $80K and a Shelby might be $150K and that will be the norm"

Yes and you make the point that $150K today is too much if in 20-40 years the price will be there.
Well then it's a good thing you're not buying one.

cerbomark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach1 700, 6 Spd.#5558
These days if you want higher trim stuff then it comes down to one thing only. That thing is whether or not you can afford what someone is charging.

Well then it's a good thing you're not buying one.
You danced all around the original statement that you made and could not sustain it so you made assumptions on what someone you don t know can and can not afford.
I guess they stopped teaching critical thinking a while ago.

TonyNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
22 GT500HE Black Stripes, 20 GT350HE, 16 GT350R Ba
@Strokerswild

You can probably find a 22 GT500 for pretty close to MSRP. Congrats on the real estate venture. It doesn't always go that way. 👍

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Hello; Finally i can add something to the conversation. I finished college in 1970 and was lucky to get a job right away. I wanted a new car and went shopping. Looked at a new 1970 Camaro Z-28 on a dealers lot. That very nicely appointed car had a MSRP of right at $4,000.
Of course, my new job did not pay much. $4,500 for a school year so I had to lower my expectations. I wound up with a 1970 Opal Rallye Cadet for around $1,700. Just as well as the first oil embargo hit not too long after and I was getting much better MPG.
Interesting thing being teachers wages in KY did not match as they were not ten times better for a starting first year.

Sponsored

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP Whipple Stage 2

4V Mayhem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium M6
You danced all around the original statement that you made and could not sustain it so you made assumptions on what someone you don t know can and can not afford.
I guess they stopped teaching critical thinking a while ago.
Nope. I simply said it is good that you aren't buying one. It obviously isn't the car for you.

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
Gotta love all the hate thrown at the gt500 from the gt crowd about price’s.

Hopefully who ever buys it can afford to throw $30+ K in the trash. That is like advertising to sell a $1.00 Bill for $1.50. Someone will buy them. Look at the people who paid money for a Pet rock, which was nothing but a rock from a field. Their out their. 😁

Last edited:

DopamineQuest

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 Carbonized Gray
Hopefully who ever buys it can afford to throw $30+ K in the trash. That is like advertising to sell a $1.00 Bill for $1.50. Someone will buy them. Look at the people who paid money for a Pet rock, which was nothing but a rock from a field. Their out their. 😁
Looks like you know a lot about throwing 30k in the trash 🤣

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Gotta love all the hate thrown at the gt500 from the gt crowd about price’s.
Hate.... Yes. I've seen a lot of that around here lately. People are infuriated that they can't have a car like this at mustang GT prices.

I remember being at one of the GT350 track attacks. I gave my slot to my brother in law and drove a schoolhouse GT. It was not in the same league as the 350, let alone the 500.

I guess if I found myself in a situation that I couldn't afford a Ford, then I might be pissed off too. (yes, I'd like fries with that, thanks)

Well, we each make our own beds.

Go ahead GT guys, flame away.....
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.