Not open for further replies.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Free money begats all kinds of evil. The rich don't care, they'll just peel off the hundreds. But for everyone else the value metric will reassert itself with a vengeance.

Are there 20000 individuals willing to flip their cars to each other at ever greater prices? Perhaps. If not all of a sudden the greater fool basis of ownership is going to implode.
Hello; I think I get what you are saying. Around 2004, 2005, 2006 Ford made the GT. To me a truly special car and in limited numbers. They MSRP'd for somewhere around $150K at the time. Since then, the value has gone up a lot. In the 300K to 400K range I believe.
Can such a thing happen for the GT 350 or the GT500 or any of the other special Mustangs? I get that current owners may hope so. I have no idea on it.

Back in 2010 I finally got a place of my own. Not a rental. Felt comfortable about having an old nostalgia car around. Decided to look for a Porsche 914 as I had one back in the day. I knew going in how much trouble they were to keep running and expected to find one for not too much money. I was wrong. The speculators had already been at work. Buying barely running junk and flipping them. After some look- sees I decided the market was spoiled and have decided to let that idea go.
Sponsored

rp930

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500, 2019 Ranger, 2015 MB GLK250
you forgot plan C, do plan B and customers Say "F that I ll get a 911". Lay off employees.

This is a funny thread for sure, agreed.
Good luck coming up with that 911. At MSRP. Itā€˜s the same problem with those cars.

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP Whipple Stage 2
Someone recently made a statement on this thread to the effect of ā€œno one has ever regretted buying a GT500ā€, which seemed a bit over the top to me. So, I wandered over to FordGT500.com to see whether that was actually true. Lo and behold, it does seem to be an accurate statement. People say that they love these cars beyond what I would have expected based on my perceived limitations of the vehicle (rear wheel drive, front engine, and mass manufactured by Ford). I then looked into the locally available inventory and I was surprised to see how many are currently available for sale, how expensive they are, and how many pricey options you can get (carbon fiber track pack, heritage edition, etc.).

What Iā€™ve learned from this whole experience is that:

1. There are more people than I would have expected who are highly emotionally invested in seeing a relatively high volume, depreciating asset only increase in price. Heck, I have a lot of assets, real and otherwise, that are poised to take a huge dip in value over the next year or so. I just buckle up and get ready; no need to argue about it, especially with people who donā€™t even own the same assets, because it will either happen or it wonā€™t.

2. GT500 owners seem to view themselves like Jaguar owners when I was younger. Kind of surprising since the idea of a Mustang to me is a hillbilly car that is really fast and fun for the money, but I guess Iā€™m not as young as I once was and life has changed. Iā€™ll even admit that I could only realistically afford a base GT500 based on how expensive they have become.

3. Folks with money seem to have a real disdain for those they perceive to have less. Iā€™m not sure if this is because being rich isnā€™t all that fulfilling or if people like me who are still in their thirties with comfortable six figure incomes but arenā€™t yet fully established are that clueless (maybe both). Folks with money also seem to feel they earned it without any help or advantages from others. I can only speak to my experience of coming out of poverty that most rich folks had a lot of help. Case in point is my brother in law who is a multimillionaire in his thirties. Iā€™ve always went to better schools where I outperformed him, had better jobs, and have worked much harder. His parents have paid his way through life though so heā€™s had virtually zero expenses. Heā€™s saved almost all of the lower amount heā€™s earned, and Iā€™ve had to actually pay my way. Going to school with a bunch of people who went to Ivy League schools and seeing the advantages they had that I didnā€™t has also skewed my perspective.

4. If you donā€™t want to deal with ā€œGT guysā€ or worse, people like me who donā€™t currently have a Mustang, thereā€™s a great forum over there at FordGT500.com that I will never accidentally find myself posting in, unless I buy one.

5. Finally, thanks. I have learned that GT500s are more special than I would have expected based on user experiences. Iā€™ve also taken away a lot of motivation from this to keep going so that I never have to deal with someone treating me like this in life again.
Amen Brother!!

Prodigal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
[QUOT
Hello; I think I get what you are saying. Around 2004, 2005, 2006 Ford made the GT. To me a truly special car and in limited numbers. They MSRP'd for somewhere around $150K at the time. Since then, the value has gone up a lot. In the 300K to 400K range I believe.
Can such a thing happen for the GT 350 or the GT500 or any of the other special Mustangs? I get that current owners may hope so. I have no idea on it.

Back in 2010 I finally got a place of my own. Not a rental. Felt comfortable about having an old nostalgia car around. Decided to look for a Porsche 914 as I had one back in the day. I knew going in how much trouble they were to keep running and expected to find one for not too much money. I was wrong. The speculators had already been at work. Buying barely running junk and flipping them. After some look- sees I decided the market was spoiled and have decided to let that idea go.
the 350/500 will never be in the same league as the Ford GT in terms or rarity, collectibility or desirability. Simply production numbers the primary difference. Both badass cars.

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4
the 350/500 will never be in the same league as the Ford GT in terms or rarity, collectibility or desirability. Simply production numbers the primary difference. Both badass cars.
I don't think he was suggesting that the 350 or 500 would be as rare or valuable, just that they might see a similar percentage increase in value over time. Someone hoping to buy a 350 a few years down the line because they can't afford one now will be disappointed if they're going for twice as much (or even the same price) as when new, though that obviously still wouldn't cost nearly as much as a Ford GT.

Sponsored

babrams3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT C/S Manual FBO
Not everyone is like this. Acquiring wealth can be humbling, like you have a responsibility to pay it back, through actions and charity, leaving things better than you found it. It's a mixed bag. You worked hard, saved and want to enjoy it, but at the same time you want to do what you can to pull others up.

Once most have their basic needs met (which can vary widely) having more of anything doesn't really move the fun meter.

Again, not everyone is like this. I've gotten a few lucky breaks here and there, being at the right place, the right time. Wang Chung cosmic shit. Whatever you want to call it. Some get help directly, others indirectly. Life. Sometimes shit just happens.

I've always lived a simple life and lived modestly. Playing the long game. For me, the pleasure was the anticipation and the wait. Keeping head down. The grind. Eventually looking up and exercising options.

I'd think a poll of forum members, regardless of the car they own, would find most of us took this path. Ya, some had things gifted to them, but most of us it was a combination of hard work, modest living, luck breaks and time.

1. Find a job you enjoy.
2. Never stop educating yourself.
3. Save and invest for the future.

IMO, if you're mindful of these three things, it allows you more options, giving you greater opportunities throughout your life.
Wang Chung Cosmic Shit.....I live by it

cerbomark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach1 700, 6 Spd.#5558
Good luck coming up with that 911. At MSRP. Itā€˜s the same problem with those cars.
You got a good point. I ve owned 5 Porsche s and the price is higher now then when I sold them for sure. Don t know what other manufacturers do with ADM policies? Friend has a vet and he said his dealer couldn't sell anything new over MSRP. I don t know if thats true( well he did) . He bought new a year or so ago.

rp930

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
You got a good point. I ve owned 5 Porsche s and the price is higher now then when I sold them for sure. Don t know what other manufacturers do with ADM policies? Friend has a vet and he said his dealer couldn't sell anything new over MSRP. I don t know if thats true( well he did) . He bought new a year or so ago.
The manufacturer/distributors discourage it but there is nothing in most franchise laws to prohibit it. Some dealer principals do it others do not.

cerbomark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach1 700, 6 Spd.#5558
The manufacturer/distributors discourage it but there is nothing in most franchise laws to prohibit it. Some dealer principals do it others do not.
That s good to know. Not to start the whole thing up here but with that information you can be a wiser shopper.

rp930

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
That s good to know. Not to start the whole thing up here but with that information you can be a wiser shopper.
Itā€™s funny. Many dealers have been charging over MSRP on parts for decades and there are no endless threads about that. Too small of an amount I guess.

Sponsored

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
GM has threatened to pull allocations on the C8, and the Z06 in particular, if there are complaints about ADMs from customers. Thereā€™s a few Chevy dealers around here that donā€™t charge ADM so a C8 can be had for MSRP. Not surprisingly, theyā€™ve already blown through their 2023 allocation and have a waitlist for 2024.

DopamineQuest

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 Carbonized Gray
I don't think he was suggesting that the 350 or 500 would be as rare or valuable, just that they might see a similar percentage increase in value over time. Someone hoping to buy a 350 a few years down the line because they can't afford one now will be disappointed if they're going for twice as much (or even the same price) as when new, though that obviously still wouldn't cost nearly as much as a Ford GT.
Well taken care of 350s and 500s will definitely hold their value at the minimum, but I wouldn't be surprised to see values go up. They won't be anything like
Itā€™s funny. Many dealers have been charging over MSRP on parts for decades and there are no endless threads about that. Too small of an amount I guess.
Definitely. My local Ford dealerships were selling their 350's with 5k ADMs 5 years ago.

oregongt350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 HE, 1967GT Fastback S code,
Itā€™s already started, ADM hater threads since 2016 with the GT350 take over the forum, super immature but what ya gonna do

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Iā€™ll bite. How about you post up a picture of your abode and Iā€™ll do the same. Weā€™ll judge whoā€™s coming from Mommaā€™s basement. Itā€™s pretty unreal the dā€¦. hating thatā€™s gone on in this thread.
It's downright disgusting.

At this point, I don't think this thread is being monitored by the moderators. If it was, it would have been stopped a long time ago.

Stop playing nice. Let this get real ugly and that will get a padlock on this thread before you know it.

Next time, whoever left the gate open at the troll ranch last time, please close it behind you.

I think some people need an example of the ban hammer. That is the only way people seem to mind their manners around here.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.