Sponsored

Want some advice - I have all the noises

bschoon55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro 2 SS 1LE, Former 2018 Mustang GT.
Hey Everyone,

I have a 2018 Mustang GT PP1 with the MT82. I bought the car used with 7,000 miles on it............ now it has 11,000 miles on it... It's been on the road for 2 1/2 years. It exhibits every noise that we don't like......... I have the BBQ Tick/Typewriter Tick, I have the 2k rattle... I have every noise possible that's been an issue. The car really only sounds great on throttle past 2k RPMS... after that she sounds great and pulls HARD. On a cold start, the car doesn't sound too bad and the tick isn't bad until the engine actually gets some heat in it. The car sounds TERRIBLE on a warm start. Yesterday I drove it for about 100 miles and returned home. I had to drive the car a couple hours later and started it with the motor still being a bit warm and WOW..... it was ticking like wild in the garage, which obviously amplifies the sound.

So here's the big 3 issues I personally have:

1. On a warm start, the tick is MASSIVE... it sounds really bad. I'll try and get a video of it the next time the opportunity presents itself.

2. Any light throttle starting around 1,200 RPMS or so... I get this tapping/knocking sound whether the engine is hot or cold, it's always present.

3. Then, I have the 2k rattle all the time..,.. hot or cold engine, it's always around.

I had the car serviced and the oil changed at 10k by a local Ford dealer.... before this, I still had all of these symptoms.... but after the oil change everything is much more pronounced. It looks like they used Motorcraft 5W-20 and I have no idea what the car had in it before then because I bought it used. The car only sounds great after you get into 3k RPMS or more.... There's so much info. all over the place and everyone seems to have their own variation of all the sounds. I know there's a million TSBs out there.

I love the car, it just always sounds broken to some extent unless you're actually on throttle. I see a lot of people that go to the dealer's are either told it's normal... or if they actually change something... like part of the block... the noise comes back again eventually. I've also read where some people have had complete motor swaps only to have the same fate later down the road.

If you were in my shoes, what would you do? Take it to the dealer to start a paper trail..... or just deal with it as is? They're probably going to say it's normal and point to the TSBs.... Some people seem to have a variation or no symptoms at all.... I have ALL of them.

Thanks for any help and advice you guys!
Sponsored

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Very frustrating, I take it there was no tick/rattle when you bought it? First step is probably to take it to a dealer and have it documented particularly since from what you're saying it seems quite pronounced, best to make sure it's not something else. Then try 5W-30, then try Ceratec. If nothing helps you could also try another dealer, given the severity of the noise, to make doubly sure there's no other issue. That's probably all of the simple things anyway.

OP
OP
bschoon55

bschoon55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Very frustrating, I take it there was no tick/rattle when you bought it? First step is probably to take it to a dealer and have it documented particularly since from what you're saying it seems quite pronounced, best to make sure it's not something else. Then try 5W-30, then try Ceratec. If nothing helps you could also try another dealer, given the severity of the noise, to make doubly sure there's no other issue. That's probably all of the simple things anyway.
Good advice, I just know this is going to be a pain with a dealer. When I bought the car it was not near as pronounced and I think when I bought it my emotions took over.

The car had a clean slate and only 1 prior normal service at 5k miles. On the test drive I was mainly driving the hell out of the car which is when it sounds it’s best... over 3k RPMs. I was basically always on throttle and things were not near as pronounced during that time.

OP
OP
bschoon55

bschoon55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have discovered a couple things, one thing is that my car was actually changed to 5W30 oil during the last oil change... not 5W20. Also attached is a video I took today of the BBQ tick when it’s at the worst point... a warm start.

How bad does it sound? To me it sounds about as bad as anyone’s but my judgement is probably impaired because it is my own vehicle. I appreciate your advice and how bad it really sounds to you.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Turn up the music or get a louder exhaust. You can also try adding some ceratec. Lots of people say it helps.

Sponsored

SplawnDarts

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 Convertible, 2013 Nissan Frontier
- change to Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w30
- make sure you're filled up to the max fill mark
- add ceratec (1.25 bottles)

Those three will get rid of the tick.

Rattles can be anything from someone's imagination to serious piston slap. No way to diagnose those by typing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bschoon55

bschoon55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turn up the music or get a louder exhaust. You can also try adding some ceratec. Lots of people say it helps.
Can you add the ceratec at any time, or does it have to be directly after an oil change?

moffetts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Whippled 2015 GT PP
Ideally, right after an oil change but you can always add it later as long as you don't overfill. Ceratec will probably help but it also makes the oil look like a frappucino, so be careful of that effect if you plan on having the dealer look at it.

Helios

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gen3 Coyote
The rattle from 2-3k hot or cold is normal i think every gen3 is plague with it. I din't have it until 3000 km on the odometer and i flushed oil to replace with fresh motorcraft 5w30 hoping it could fix it. No luck its always present, and im 10r80 automatic so its not a mt-82 thing

Helios

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gen3 Coyote
If its not normal i guess everyone needs an engine replacement i don't know. But im not worried about it, im always pedal to the floor. And if it breaks well ill take it in
Sponsored