Sponsored

Want car loud . High flow cat install?

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pablo
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Update: So I got the high flow cats on with the Roush Exhaust and X Pipes with the headers, and the local fuzz was not too happy with the noise... lol

I'm going in tomorrow to get the Magnaflow center resonator (dual in dual out) put on to see if that tones down the raspyness of the Roush exhaust. Otherwise, should i remove the X pipe?? Thoughts? Maybe in the future ill go to MBRP exhaust, heard its better with headers anyways...

Honestly, at highway speeds and overall with what i have the drone is not too bad inside the cabin at all. I was half expecting my interior to be shaking. Its just during stop and go traffic from 3-5k rpm's(which is like pretty much daily driving in general), its pretty rough with that rasp...
Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pablo
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
...To OP did you have a tune or added O2 spacers for the CEL, if any, with the high flow cats?
Yeah, Lund Tune was added. On my 17 with the headers and new tune, i gained about 20 horsepower. Mind you im on 93 octane and catted. So on my '17 total horsepower on dyno is 415. WIsh i woulda waited for the 18. lol

Rpinaiii

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ral
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
^^ cool. For anyone, the O2 extenders I see with headers, are those extensions for the wires or are those the "spacers" to get the sensors farther away in bung (?) If that is the name. Of course this is without a tune. Thanks for any help.

Last edited:

SSG 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Yeah, Lund Tune was added. On my 17 with the headers and new tune, i gained about 20 horsepower. Mind you im on 93 octane and catted. So on my '17 total horsepower on dyno is 415. WIsh i woulda waited for the 18. lol
Get a Supercharger and you’ll say “ I love this damn car “
Lol

kai20035

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter Who
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT
I’m in the same boat. I’ve got a Flowmaster outlaw catback and just want to have it louder but don’t want to go all out catless. After heard the cars with those setups and I don’t think it’s for me. Been looking at the mak cat deletes but they also include an option with cats. I messaged them about what kind of cats they were and they said they were high flows.

https://www.makperformance.com/2015-2019-Mustang-GT-MAK-Performance-Pipes_p_299.html

If anyone has gone this route or has put in their own high flow cats, your input would be greatly appreciated!
Better late than never! I was running the MAK CAT delete race pipes before these high performance pipes came out with my Borla S-Type with X pipe setup and it was freaking LOUD, if it was 50% quieter it would be super awesome because you don't lose your exhaust note of the Borla S-Type, it was just too damn loud! I ran that setup for one day and by the time I had to pay my welder 2 X over on welding fees with the MAK setup it cost me $1134CAD to find out this setup would not work! I've been looking around for help and one guy said that the S550 OE CAT's are 700CEL so going with 100-200CEL would not bring down the volume enough because that's so close to having no CAT's so as a safe increase of 50% extra exhaust noise I'm guess the Magnaflow "https://www.ebay.ca/itm/303933421736" with a CEL of 400 would be a safe and better high flow CAT to do with this second and very last experiment to achieve a 50% increase in exhaust tone! I know the G-Sport by GESI "https://www.ebay.ca/itm/284188461827" are the premium HFC's with 300CEL but for me to pay $1000CAD for 2 HFC from GESI I might as well buy the new MAK High performance race pipes which already has them on there with their setup! Even if I go with the Magnaflow's it'll run me over $500CAD including welding fees! Has anyone else tried the Magnaflow's with the 400CEL High flow CAT's?

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pablo
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Old Thread but idc... lol

I changed my exhaust setup from Roush to MBRP Streets and lost a smidge of Torque and HP. I did add a ported Boss 302 and right now as per last dyno, im sitting at 430 Horsepower.

Also to note, the sound on the MBRP Streets is way better than the Roush and X-pipes. lol

kai20035

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter Who
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT
Original Setup: Borla S-Type Axel back with SR X pipe. Added the MAK race pipes and it was wayyyyyyyyy too loud for my taste so today I went back to my welder to have the 3" I/O Thunderbolt 99659HM 400CEL which are identical to the Magnaflow 99659HM but at half of the price! The sound notes have increased approx. 25% from the current setup which sounds better but nowhere to being obnoxiously loud when I had the MAK race pipes on with the CAT deletes! I totally forgot to add a sound clip but will get a hold of the welder as his assistance had recorded the new setup with his cell phone and will add it another time. I was playing safe with this 400CEL but "if" I knew it was going to sound like this I think I would've gone 300CEL HFC's instead of these 400CEL HFC's. He did an awesome job welding and 100% no leaks and the souind is awesome but wish it was another 25% louder but this I could live with no complaints! I've added some pics for reference. I also had the 2 X Bung's removed and will have them installed another time and not in a rush as my current tune already setup for them to be removed for the secondary O2 sensors.

20210521_110745.jpg
HFC Weld.jpg
20210521_114247.jpg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pablo
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Original Setup: Borla S-Type Axel back with SR X pipe. Added the MAK race pipes and it was wayyyyyyyyy too loud for my taste so today I went back to my welder to have the 3" I/O Thunderbolt 99659HM 400CEL which are identical to the Magnaflow 99659HM but at half of the price! The sound notes have increased approx. 25% from the current setup which sounds better but nowhere to being obnoxiously loud when I had the MAK race pipes on with the CAT deletes! I totally forgot to add a sound clip but will get a hold of the welder as his assistance had recorded the new setup with his cell phone and will add it another time. I was playing safe with this 400CEL but "if" I knew it was going to sound like this I think I would've gone 300CEL HFC's instead of these 400CEL HFC's. He did an awesome job welding and 100% no leaks and the souind is awesome but wish it was another 25% louder but this I could live with no complaints! I've added some pics for reference. I also had the 2 X Bung's removed and will have them installed another time and not in a rush as my current tune already setup for them to be removed for the secondary O2 sensors.
Are you able to pass inspection with your current set up?

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I have a real problem with people removing their cats for the sake of a few HP or to make more noise. Leave them and reduce your impact on the environment. Don't be one of "those guys".
I say mind your own business.

kai20035

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter Who
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT
Are you able to pass inspection with your current set up?
In Canada YES and these HFC's are good in the US except for NY & California due to stiffer EPA regulations, pretty sure anything 300CEL or lower isn't legal in the US. Got them from ZZ Performance on Ebay and shipping to Canada was 3 business days from the time it left the US to Canada which is amazingly fast!

Amazing thing is with my Borla S-Type with SR X pipe and MAK race pipes with these Thunderbolt's HFC's with 400CEL there's absolutely no drone, tone at low RPM's is non existent but when you put the foot down on it sounds freaking awesome! I just got back giving my son some driving time with the windows rolled down and he was like "This car sounds sick!"...............BUT not obnoxious!

Link: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/130951227137?_trkparms=aid=111001&algo=REC.SEED&ao=1&asc=20160908105057&meid=4694380955c74eef80f169b59d69b4cb&pid=100675&rk=3&rkt=15&sd=224271461909&itm=130951227137&pmt=0&noa=1&pg=2380057&_trksid=p2380057.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci:a909e034-ba62-11eb-984f-b24a02e3db0c|parentrq:9031b3c31790a4e842342d2dfffaaef0|iid:1

Morimoto 7.jpg
Morimoto 2.jpg
PBD 1.jpg

Sponsored

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
I say mind your own business.
You're over a year late with that one dude.

But seriously, it's not hard to build a fast street car and keep your emissions intact. If you don't like being told what to do then act like a grownup and be responsible and you won't end up drawing all of the negative attention of a pissed off public that wants to regulate you out of your fun car. Defeating emissions, obnoxiously loud cars, etc. all draw attention similar to the great tuner crackdown we are seeing now. That started with diesel knobs rolling coal for no good reason.

Momogt26

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
dwayne
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt

20210521_110745.jpg
HFC Weld.jpg
20210521_114247.jpg
How much louder is this compared to stock cats

kai20035

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter Who
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT
How much louder is this compared to stock cats
The new Thunderbolt 99659HM HFC's have now settled and sound is approx. 50% louder than my original Borla S-Type with X pipe setup. The great thing is as mentioned above is that in lower RPM's it's quiet as my original setup, no drone and you go WOT it just sounds amazing! Now my son is like "Dad, can I drive to work and are you picking me up and can I drive back home too?"

Being that I am in Canada and it was so hard to find anyone with a S550 running HFC's with their setup there was no idea of what tone it was so knowing that the OEM CAT's were around 700CEL I played safe with the 400CEL HFC's to pass EPA restrictions in Canada if need be in the future and going 200-300CEL I knew it would be close to having no CAT's at all! I had some retard told me the 400CEL's won't mask any noise and for him to even say that it was just ludicrous! When I measured the stock S550 CAT's to the Thunderbolts the center core was approx. 50% smaller so I had a good feeling the noise increase would be somewhere near the 40-50% range so it was a good guess and it was!

It doesn't matter if you have a Roush, Corsa, AWE, or other exhaust setup and want that extra 50% increase in loudness but not obnoxious and legal in most states but 2 this is the safest and legal way to go, don't think a Corsa Extreme Double catback would need to go this far IMO but to each their own! I will try to put up some sound clips later this evening after I pick up my son from work for you guys to hear.

Momogt26

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
dwayne
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Can you tell any performance increase with this setup

TGYNYY

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Why? There is nothing wrong with the stock exhaust with an H pipe.

I have a real problem with people removing their cats for the sake of a few HP or to make more noise. Leave them and reduce your impact on the environment. Don't be one of "those guys".
Please leave
Sponsored