Want car loud . High flow cat install?

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Alot of mixed opinions here. Have u guys tried this to know it will or wont have an increase ..is this from personal experience ?
Mine is from personal experience. Not sure who else here has long tubes and high flow cats. I posted what my car has in a previous post. Your ear isn't a good judge of the intensity of a sound. To accurately judge sound, you want a decibel meter. Take a car stock and then a car with high flow cats and then a car with high flow cats and long tube headers and see the decibel difference. Then you can compare the decibel readings and get accurate results.

OP
OP
Coyotes55086

Coyotes55086

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
So I made the order . Bought 2 50 cell cats . I'm hoping i did this right . I believe the stock tubes are 2.5" in and 2.5" out for the cats ? Also hoping this will give me some more volume and maybe aggressive sound? Any input?

Sponsored

champamp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
So I made the order . Bought 2 50 cell cats . I'm hoping i did this right . I believe the stock tubes are 2.5" in and 2.5" out for the cats ? Also hoping this will give me some more volume and maybe aggressive sound? Any input?
Sorry to catch you after your purchase, but especially being in Ontario, you should check out Gesi cats. Best hi-flo available and yes they will get you loud.

OP
OP
Coyotes55086

Coyotes55086

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Sorry to catch you after your purchase, but especially being in Ontario, you should check out Gesi cats. Best hi-flo available and yes they will get you loud.
No problem man . But appreciate it . Just knowing they will make it louder is kind of what I've been looking for

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pablo
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I've got long tubes, high flow cats, X-pipe, and Roush exhaust. Let me tell you, it doesn't get much louder. I've since put resonators on and it helped the harshness but it's still brutal on cold starts and LOUD when you punch it.
Hey, Im getting TSP Headers put on this Monday and currently have the Roush exhaust. The guy told me the High Flo cats should help a bit with the noise... Am i going to be okay or is the HOA going to tar and feather me? TIA

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
Hey, Im getting TSP Headers put on this Monday and currently have the Roush exhaust. The guy told me the High Flo cats should help a bit with the noise... Am i going to be okay or is the HOA going to tar and feather me? TIA
Even with the cats will still be stupid loud, cold starts extra brutal, but not as raspy as no cats. Can always add a couple vibrants in there to calm it down a bit if you find it too much.

Reactions: Ebm
OP
OP
Coyotes55086

Coyotes55086

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
from stock cats to high flow it got louder and raspier a bit . I like the change for sure

Sponsored

Andrew@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2003 10th Anniversary Cobra / 2003 Ford Lightning
Hey guys , so I currently have an mbrp race catback . I want the car louder. How much louder would the car get keeping stock headers and installing high flow cats ?

I know a cat delete would most likely be louder but how much louder? I'm kind of trying to avoid this option. But I do want it loud

And last would installing high-flow cats on the stock headers require a tune?
High flows will certainly be louder than the stock cats. Deleting the cats will WAKE the car up. But you will need a tune for that or eliminators. Either sound great paired with a good catback.

Rpinaiii

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ral
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I wish the Mustang had the cats on connection pipes bolted from manifold to x pipe on both sides. This would have made it easier to change out pipes with high flow cats or non catted connection pipes. I was researching this and looks like they have to be cut out. I am looking for same thing, high flow cats change out. Dont want to do the cutting and customizing, welding. To OP did you have a tune or added O2 spacers for the CEL, if any, with the high flow cats?

zworld

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
zane
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
I have your same exhaust crazy loud already, I do love though. So jeez what exactly are you wanting to hear? Open headers?

CorvZ061

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
My experience with high flow cats comes from my Focus ST. I had a AWE resonated touring catback with the stock downpipe, it sounded good, but I wanted more as well as more power so I swapped a catless downpipe. With the stock downpipe it was 6/10 for loudness, catless it was 9/10 but sounded terrible because it got very raspy. I eventually swapped the downpipe for a 100 cell catted downpipe. The smell went away, the sound level was reduced though not by much, and the raspiness was gone. It was about an 8/10 when heavy on the throttle.

the high flow cats will increase volume, and also prevent some of the rasp that coyotes seem to generate. But doing it simply for increased volume without going after any additional power seems kind of pointless IMO.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Exactly what AZ18yote said. High flow cats, headers, and a Roush exhaust will still be bananas. The cold starts will be heard throughout your neighborhood. The Vibrants could help some, but I ultimately ended up switching to the GT500 mufflers and it is much more manageable now.
Sponsored