Sponsored

Want a little more HP without breaking the bank.

Old5.Oguy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Auto
Just like the title says, I’m looking for some more HP and don’t want to break the bank, would appreciate some suggestions and the HP I can expect to gain. I’ve got a 2019 GT with a Roush Phase 2 tune, roush cat back exhaust, no other power adders. Shes putting down 610/545 right now. Ultimately would love to get over 700 but I know another 90 to the rear wheels won’t come that cheaply. Ultimately if I got her over 650 I’d be happy. Thanks.
Sponsored

AZ_whippleS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang GT
That blower is hard to make power with and some tuners wont touch it so with that being said what I would do is sell the Roush and buy literally any other blower they all will make 700+ pretty easily. If not Headers a tune with a smaller pulley and probably a killer chiller to keep IATs in check or a 100 shot of Nitrous

NotagainV2

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
19 F150 19 Explorer 04 Thunderbird
Headers E85 new tune.

Otherwise punt the Roush.

19BULLITTwhipple

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ramzi
Vehicle(s)
Bullitt 2019
The blower is bad because of its structure. Ford introduced direct injection and port injection. So the roush blower was redesigned. WIth major flaws. Check this video out for more detail.

2018 Mustang Positive displacement supercharger discussion - YouTube

Try and watch the whole video. Very helpful. I would sell it and get a different blower. Or get a tune from Lund and try dropping a few pulley sizes. They may require you to upgrade your injectors. but you probably can make 660 whp on pump gas with that blower no problem.

OP
OP
Old5.Oguy

Old5.Oguy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Auto
The blower is bad because of its structure. Ford introduced direct injection and port injection. So the roush blower was redesigned. WIth major flaws. Check this video out for more detail.

2018 Mustang Positive displacement supercharger discussion - YouTube

Try and watch the whole video. Very helpful. I would sell it and get a different blower. Or get a tune from Lund and try dropping a few pulley sizes. They may require you to upgrade your injectors. but you probably can make 660 whp on pump gas with that blower no problem.
Yeah I wanted to make sure the car was still warrantied, that’s why I went with the Roush. Honestly I’m past the point where I have to have all the horsepower I can possibly afford. Love to have 700rwhp, but I know that’s going to be thousands of dollars. I guess dropping to the 2.8 and a good tune is probably the most affordable option. Great video by the way, thank you. How about the Vmp Tune?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Old5.Oguy

Old5.Oguy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Auto
That blower is hard to make power with and some tuners wont touch it so with that being said what I would do is sell the Roush and buy literally any other blower they all will make 700+ pretty easily. If not Headers a tune with a smaller pulley and probably a killer chiller to keep IATs in check or a 100 shot of Nitrous
Thanks. I think I’m going to go with a good tune and drop a pulley size. It’s not a track car amd it’s driven about 120 a month so I think I’ll be ok without the Killer Chiller as I’m now in the phase of my life where I’m happy just saying “yeah it made 650 RWHP”. I’m close just need to get over the finish line. Thanks again

OP
OP
Old5.Oguy

Old5.Oguy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Auto
Headers E85 new tune.

Otherwise punt the Roush.
Yeah I’d love to do that but all those options are off the table due To $$$$$. Just bought a Kenne bell for the foxbody. They are making the kits again for a short run. And they ain’t cheap.thanks

19BULLITTwhipple

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ramzi
Vehicle(s)
Bullitt 2019
Yeah I wanted to make sure the car was still warrantied, that’s why I went with the Roush. Honestly I’m past the point where I have to have all the horsepower I can possibly afford. Love to have 700rwhp, but I know that’s going to be thousands of dollars. I guess dropping to the 2.8 and a good tune is probably the most affordable option. Great video by the way, thank you. How about the Vmp Tune?
I am sure vmp will be just fine. But I know lund has a few more records in the race car industry than vmp. Also if you are judging who will tune your car based on youtube videos a lot of the dyno numbers are fake. 93 octane pump gas will only yield so much power. 650-700whp max any more and you are just overworking the motor. 93 has a limit because its not so high in octane.

Personally I did a lot of research. That's why went with lund and the customer support is insanely great. The email system always yields a reply with great info on the questions I have asked.

But I would say whoever you choose do some research. That youtube video I linked is one of many videos on that channel. That have excellent information. You should watch some of them if you have time. Taught me a lot about engines, and tuning the podcasts are also quite funny!

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Ditch the Roush tune and have a good chat with Lund regarding mods that will suit your budget and goals.
A mate of mine has the Roush blower on his 15-17 car.
Ditched the tune, added headers, pulleyed down, swapped out the TB/airbox and she’s a whole different rig now.
Yes, there’s better blowers out there, but for very little you can make this thing go well enough, depending on the budget.
E85 would be epic but that’s entirely your call.

sabtaj1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 Mustang GT, 1965 Fairlane 500 wagon
Just adding headers with high flow cats or no cats will make a big diff in HP since your FI.

Sponsored

jhunt47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Y
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Lund will not tune the Roush kits for the 18+ cars. They have said this a number of times. Vmp, palm beach Dyno, and Wengerd tuning are the places I know will tune these cars just talked with all of them this week. If your only willing to do the tune you make get close to the 650 mark. Hope this helps.

jhunt47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Y
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
When was the last time you got your Roush tune updated. There is a chance you could get a update and get a bit more power depending on how old your cal is.

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Lund will not tune the Roush kits for the 18+ cars. They have said this a number of times. Vmp, palm beach Dyno, and Wengerd tuning are the places I know will tune these cars just talked with all of them this week. If your only willing to do the tune you make get close to the 650 mark. Hope this helps.
I’m curious as to why.
I understand that they would refuse to do it without the required supporting mods, but once that’s done, there’s no obvious reason.

jhunt47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Y
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
From the videos I seen they said it just produces to much heat. They don’t recommend the Roush kit at all. Unless you want the warranty backed by Roush/Ford.

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
From the videos I seen they said it just produces to much heat. They don’t recommend the Roush kit at all. Unless you want the warranty backed by Roush/Ford.
There’s no dispute that the 18+ Roush is the ultimate heat-monster. Still would’ve thought they’d be willing to tune it.
Clearly not.
Sponsored