Sponsored

Wait until after break in period to remove hydro carbon trap & switch air filter?

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
No ill effects, CELs, etc. after doing both mods at the same time?

How long have you been running that way and did your butt dyno notice the difference?
Hydrocarbon filter went in the trash and dry element went in under 400 miles, no problems. No difference what-so-ever in the butt dyno but it was a matter of pride getting back the 10hp they stole from me.
Sponsored

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
Hydrocarbon filter went in the trash and dry element went in under 400 miles, no problems. No difference what-so-ever in the butt dyno but it was a matter of pride getting back the 10hp they stole from me.
Truth be told, much as I hate to admit it this right here pretty much nails it between the eyes. 10 hp, 18 hp, whatever it really is or isn’t it pretty much comes down to pride and bragging rights. For the vast majority of street driving I can’t think of anywhere I go where the difference could possibly be quantifiable or even noticeable for that matter. I can think of a popular option that excluding cosmetics kinda falls into the same category. But we all like to obsess over these things; it’s part of what car guys do.

Cux211

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
22 f250 6.7 platinum tremor
Lmfao I don’t get the bickering how do you argue with repeatable data. Anyway I’ll rip mine out as soon as I get it home just as a matter of principle lol

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Does it affect your break-in? IMO, it will not.

The better still throttle response and easy HP gains are welcome.

I became aware of the EPA filter last season, about the 800 mile mark. Removed immediately. No issues.

I have a still in-the-box Air Raid filter, received yesterday; it's going in this week.

Previous tests showed removal of the EPA filter worth about 10 HP or so.

Steeda reviews Air Raid and other filters here; they are worth about 2-3 HP.

As others have commented, keep the additional plastic sleeve in the Mach 1 inlet tube.

CrazyHippie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Vehicle(s)
2018 Fusion Hybrid
Hi!

I offer a summary of what I found when I removed the carbon filter and it's supports from my '23 GT/CS, complete with science, engineering, pointing out the obvious and useless trivia. But I hope it may help somebody! :)

1. The stock air filter cover est un vraiment penible to get off and on -- it's wedged in there pretty good. You would think that FOMOCO's genius engineers could do better!
2. This apparently isn't intended to be a replacement part - it's melt-welded in place. But it's easy to drill off the post-welds and pop the clamp-welds loose with a wide blade screwdriver.
3. Activated carbon filters absorb hydrocarbons, and permanently load up until they're saturated. After that, they're useless. It's hard to say how long that will take. Some trapped hydrocarbons will release due to flow and heat, but not all.
4. It absolutely restricts intake air flow in two ways: 1) Like all filters, it creates a circuitous pathway zone for the intake air, slowing it down. 2) Each and every carbon particle, filter material fiber and piece of plastic that's held in place in the air stream occupies space that the air would otherwise occupy. This reduces the effective diameter of the 'pipe' and restricts flow. The only question is how much.
5. Removing this from our cars should not cause a problem. I doubt that the MAF and it's tuning program are unable to adjust to compensate for the less restricted flow path, especially if you leave the stock filter element in there like I did (for the time being).
6. Taking it out won't hurt the environment (overall). We've definitely found a great balance point between those that leave them in there, and those of us who rip them out.
7. It's doubtful that there will be a noticeable diff in performance, but every little bit eventually adds up.
8. I left the plastic grid screen in the pipe -- it will help to deter mice from building a nest any closer to the engine than the filter box, and will stop larger rocks and sticks from getting into the intake manifold. I'm sure these are the reasons for it in the fist place, right?

:) CH

Sponsored

Coastal-Mach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2023 BMW M440i, 2020 Ram 1500, 2021 Jeep JK
It will not effect the break in. I swapped my whole intake tube out with 15 miles on the clock.
I replaced the factory piece with one from a gt350(yes it’s different than the M1). No issues at all.
like others have said the sleeve will need to be re-inserted after the HCF is removed.

BlkMach10510

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1
It will not effect the break in. I swapped my whole intake tube out with 15 miles on the clock.
I replaced the factory piece with one from a gt350(yes it’s different than the M1). No issues at all.
like others have said the sleeve will need to be re-inserted after the HCF is removed.
Why did you do the swap?

Coastal-Mach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
Why did you do the swap?
Honestly it was the way the factory MAF meter is located in the tube. If you notice the 21 M1 the MAF is located at the front of the radiator support.
The 22 are on top as the wiring is draped in place,
It looked horrible, and finding out about the HC filter for the 22’s it was
no brainer. Some will say it was silly, but my OCD kicked in.

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1, '16 F-150, '14 Fiesta ST, '14 Audi A7
Honestly it was the way the factory MAF meter is located in the tube. If you notice the 21 M1 the MAF is located at the front of the radiator support.
The 22 are on top as the wiring is draped in place,
It looked horrible, and finding out about the HC filter for the 22’s it was
no brainer. Some will say it was silly, but my OCD kicked in.
So uh, you got a part number on the tube?

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
If you think yer gaining 18RWHP from removing a carbon trap yer wrong..
That is the only difference between the two models.

There is a reason Ford went with dual intakes on the S650 and it is not to be visually cool.

Sponsored

f00man

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang M1 HP
Took my HC filters out at around 2K for both Mustangs. Best free “mod” for every 22’/23’. Those Communists at the EPA are out of their minds.

Coastal-Mach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
So uh, you got a part number on the tube?
I will get it for you, if I remember correctly the number on the tube didn’t pull up any parts, because it’s a piece of the air box.

I found one for sale here on the forum, because nothing came up for a new one.

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
If you think yer gaining 18RWHP from removing a carbon trap yer wrong..
My butt dyno tells me I gained at LEAST 20 WHP.........

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase