Sponsored

VW... seriously, are you surprised?

Starman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT convertible
Starman's monthly soap box:

VW and its problems, is this really a surprise?

Consumer Reports:

These have multiple years of much-worse-than-average reliability among 1999 to 2008 models. Listed alphabetically. (just an example from their page today)

Volkswagen Cabrio
Volkswagen Jetta
Volkswagen New Beetle
Volkswagen Passat
Volkswagen Touareg

I've been saying this since the early 90's. I really watched cars pretty hard from 1990-2010. That is a 20 years. In those 20 years VW across the board was ranked by any source that ranked car reliability as the worst manufacturer. Each car in its individual class was ranked by far at the bottom (with the exception of the Passat which was average). These things were known to fall apart within the first year of owning them. Every person I knew who bought one had major issues such as the entire stereo system blowing up in the first year.

Yet VW's *amazing* marketing prevailed and they sold like hot cakes (very much like pre-Ipad/iphone Apple in those days, terrible products, sold on "fan'ism and marketing).

Am I surprised today that their diesels omit 40 TIMES EPA pollution levels... no. What were the owners thinking? These were magic high hp diesel engines that didn't pollute? Have they not seen diesel semi trucks starting up?
It's really this bad, whats going to happen is that the EPA may just tell owners that they can't register their cars. VW is going to have to come up with some *major* engine change to stop the emissions, those cars are going to lose half their horsepower.

...But as I have said for 20 years... That's what happens when you buy a VW.
Sponsored

SnoopisTDI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard 2015 GTPP, Recaros, 2004 Lexus GX470

Am I surprised today that their diesels omit 40 TIMES EPA pollution levels... no. What were the owners thinking? These were magic high hp diesel engines that didn't pollute? Have they not seen diesel semi trucks starting up?
Comparing the emissions of some big truck to a TDI is like saying a Honda Civic must get 8mpg because it uses gas just like a 1988 Suburban. Also, what you see is particulate matter, not NOx.

I had a TDI, have several friends and family members who have/had TDIs, and talked to a lot of other TDI owners. I'll tell you what VW owners were thinking... nice car with good mpg. Nobody cares about it being "clean," as long as the exhaust doesn't stink. Of course, if someone really did care, then they probably did enough research to know that our NOx regulations are based on junk science.

Honestly, I'm more worried about how this will affect the greater aftermarket, rather than VW specifically. It could lead to a major crackdown on tuning, exhaust mods, etc.

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4
Makes sense that the same company owns Porsche, which uses some shady (even if not illegal) practices with software to gimp the power output on cars like the Cayman since they know it's a superior platform to the 911, which they make an obscene amount of money on per unit sold.

GoBlues38

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, Premium, 3.55, 20" Foundry, 6 Spd
I don't think it is fair to say VW's fall apart.

But they do high astronomicaly high maintenence costs. Those high costs cause people to skip the services, that is when things fall apart.

my Audi A6 with 2.7 twin turbo and a 6 speed was the best car I have ever owned. But above 100,000 miles, i was looking at $1,500 timing belt, $1,500 for new shocks, $1,000 for tires (again), $800 radiator issue. I decide to take my $5k and get into a worse money pit in the Volvo.

but VW Auto Group truly makes some inovative stuff.

dragonacc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
I owned a TDI Sportwagon, it was a great car and I probably would have kept it if I had the manual instead of the DSG. $700 service every 40000 miles and it zapped the fun factor of the car too...

Sponsored

NJ3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Oxford White GT
I had a VW Golf TDI it was a good car, never had a problem with it. I was 500 miles from having to do the 40K maintenance when I came across my GT last month. I can't imagine trying to trade that car today.

347CobraII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT

Have they not seen diesel semi trucks starting up?

OH really you sure you know what you're talking about? Semi trucks since 2007 have DPF filters so you're not going to see heavy black smoke anymore. You will see white smoke aka water/vapor at start up. Are there pre DPF trucks running around yes but there numbers get smaller and smaller each year. If you see smoke from new truck either DPF has issue or owner did delete kit (BIG NO NO) or it's glider kit in which owner puts in power plant in of his choice. But California and few other states but mostly California also limit age of Semi truck that can inter the state now. Forcing owner to buy new truck or don't go out there.

SnoopisTDI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard 2015 GTPP, Recaros, 2004 Lexus GX470
I owned a TDI Sportwagon, it was a great car and I probably would have kept it if I had the manual instead of the DSG. $700 service every 40000 miles and it zapped the fun factor of the car too...
You know you could do that DSG service yourself for about $150...

dragonacc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
You know you could do that DSG service yourself for about $150...
Sure, I could have. But most people won't or can't so it's a valid criticism that the service costs a bunch. And to twist the fork a little more the free maintenance runs out right before the first DSG service is due.

Bottom line, I still liked the car, and the TDI's are the only VWs or Audis I would consider owning, but I'd never get another DSG again.

Sponsored

Nitro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP
I had a 92 Jetta and it was by far the most reliable car I have ever owned.

Kbreese

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT Premium, Black/Saddle.
I was considering the new Golf R for a DD, but I keep going back and forth thinking about the headaches down the road, especially if I were to get it tuned.

The DSG, AWD & DCC system all have me thinking big money and headaches when its out of warranty. All these cool new technologies have a big flip side as the car ages.

Zomies

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jeep JK & 2010 Hyundai Accent
From what it sounds like with the TDI emissions thing it is going to be a re flash of the ecu. I think VW already has a map that will pass but chose the route of better mpg and improved drive ability. Most TDI owner I have spoken to get better mpg than advertised, but once VW gets it into compliance it will be much closer to advertised mpg. Worst of all it is going to make the government look even closer for aftermarket tunes.

GoBlues38

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
I was considering the new Golf R for a DD, .
That too is what i wanted to buy. When researching, followed a random you tube video and found out they did a ground up redo of the mustang for 2015. watched a few of those videos, did the test drive and bought.

GoBlues38

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
From what it sounds like with the TDI emissions thing it is going to be a re flash of the ecu. I think VW already has a map that will pass but chose the route of better mpg and improved drive ability. Most TDI owner I have spoken to get better mpg than advertised, but once VW gets it into compliance it will be much closer to advertised mpg. Worst of all it is going to make the government look even closer for aftermarket tunes.
Power is going to be down. I would be pissed if my 0-60 times went from 7 seconds to 9 because they had to refresh the ecu for better emissions.
Sponsored