Voltage fluctuations and deep sleep mode 2022 Mustang gt

Wickedluis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luis Salmon
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang Gt PP1 Stage 2 whipple
I just got my new car back from service a week ago for a balancing issue which was resolved . After sitting 6 days I got the deep sleep mode message on the ford app yesterday so I did what the screen said and went for a long drive. Today It had the same message early this morning . This time I decided to test the battery with a multimeter which reads 12.6 volts resting , but it also reads this with the car on at idle . When I am driving the voltage is fluctuating from 12.5 to 14.5 volts every 30 to 60 seconds , it goes up and down and in-between . The service advisor already mentioned it could be my stereo amp , but I never had this problem before since it was installed in June .I originally took my car in for a shaking at higher speeds issue which was the perma seal they added to my tires, but I did notice the service people messed with my settings on the car and even had their phone paired to my stereo..
Anyone have this issue with the fluctuations and deep sleep?
Sponsored

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
The car will always go to deep sleep after seven days of sitting, regardless of the battery's state of charge. It could be completely full and connected to a charger; it doesn't matter, it will still go to sleep after seven days no matter what.
However, if it does it sooner, that's an indication that the battery is low.

I can't comment on the particular fluctuation pattern you happen to be seeing, but a certain degree of fluctuation is normal due to the way the intelligent charging system is designed to work. The voltage with the engine running should be between 13.5 and 14.5 most of the time, depending on the battery's temperature and whether the state of charge is below or above 80%, then drop to 13.0 when the battery is full, then drop to 12.5 (with very short periods of 12.0) when it's already been full for some time. Or something along those lines. Also, when it's 13 or lower, it will increase slightly every time you engine brake.

Last edited:

Linkster1666

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Link
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Orange Fury PP1 A10 401A 3:55
Vehicle Showcase
Your "Ford App" is a glorified spy and really is of no other real use. I suggest you uninstall it and never use it again. They just emailed me telling me they miss me, like an old GF that got dumped again.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
The car's voltmeter is not showing the battery state/voltage.

It is showing the output of the alternator.

The Demon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 N5809, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Vehicle Showcase
The car will always go to deep sleep after seven days of sitting, regardless of the battery's state of charge. It could be completely full and connected to a charger; it doesn't matter, it will still go to sleep after seven days no matter what.

I can't comment on the particular fluctuation pattern you happen to be seeing, but a certain degree of fluctuation is normal due to the way the intelligent charging system is designed to work. The voltage with the engine running should be between 13.5 and 14.5 most of the time, depending on the battery's temperature and whether the state of charge is below or above 80%, then drop to 13.0 when the battery is almost full, then drop to 12.5 (with very short periods of 12.0) when it's full. Also, when it's 13 or lower, it will increase slightly every time you engine brake.
Maybe Iā€™m just special or something but Iā€™ve gone on two week vacations and my car never goes to sleep. Then again I wouldnā€™t even know if it was asleep. I donā€™t use the Ford app and when I get home the car starts right up and is normal.

Sponsored

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Then again I wouldnā€™t even know if it was asleep. I donā€™t use the Ford app and when I get home the car starts right up and is normal.
That's why it never goes to sleep. If a tree falls in a forrest and there's no one around to hear it, does it make a sound? :giggle: šŸ˜
The deep sleep turns off remote connectivity and, I believe, the keyless entry. Without FordPass, and with the car unlocked, you won't know about it. Once you open the driver's door everything comes back to life as if nothing had happened. FordPass notifies you when it happens, and it's always seven days (though I suppose it could happen earlier if the battery were low on charge, but in my case it's always on a charger when I'm gone, so I wouldn't know).

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wickedluis

Wickedluis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luis Salmon
Vehicle(s)

I used mine on the battery itself and it read 12.6 at idle. The car works fine except for it going into deep sleep the last 2 days . The voltage also used to read 13 to 14 before . I Will keep an eye on it.

OP
OP
Wickedluis

Wickedluis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luis Salmon
Vehicle(s)
Maybe Iā€™m just special or something but Iā€™ve gone on two week vacations and my car never goes to sleep. Then again I wouldnā€™t even know if it was asleep. I donā€™t use the Ford app and when I get home the car starts right up and is normal.
Mine sits a week at a time and it never did this until I got it back from service at the Ford dealer. I had the battery checked and it needs to be charged . I am not sure if they did something thats making it draw power when the car is off.

OP
OP
Wickedluis

Wickedluis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luis Salmon
Vehicle(s)

I can't comment on the particular fluctuation pattern you happen to be seeing, but a certain degree of fluctuation is normal due to the way the intelligent charging system is designed to work. The voltage with the engine running should be between 13.5 and 14.5 most of the time, depending on the battery's temperature and whether the state of charge is below or above 80%, then drop to 13.0 when the battery is full, then drop to 12.5 (with very short periods of 12.0) when it's already been full for some time. Or something along those lines. Also, when it's 13 or lower, it will increase slightly every time you engine brake.
It did it in 5 days , then again today . What concerns me is the fluctuations from 12.5 to 14.5 while i am driving. It used to be 13 to 14 consistently.

OP
OP
Wickedluis

Wickedluis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luis Salmon
Vehicle(s)
That's why it never goes to sleep. If a tree falls in a forrest and there's no one around to hear it, does it make a sound? :giggle: šŸ˜
The deep sleep turns off remote connectivity and, I believe, the keyless entry. Without FordPass, and with the car unlocked, you won't know about it. Once you open the driver's door everything comes back to life as if nothing had happened. FordPass notifies you when it happens, and it's always seven days (though I suppose it could happen earlier if the battery were low on charge, but in my case it's always on a charger when I'm gone, so I wouldn't know).
I like the remote start feature on it . My concern is that it was working fine until I got it back from the dealer. My service advisor told me to drop it off again. I am just seeing if anyone has experienced anything similar. I had the battery and alternator checked by an auto parts stare, he said the battery needed to be charged and that the alternator worked fine.
its just weird that its like this after getting it back. My guess is that they left something on that completely drained my battery and now its not charging correctly .

Sponsored

murick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Euro Mach 1

When the alternator runs. When it does not, it shows just a battery voltage.

The car will always go to deep sleep after seven days of sitting, regardless of the battery's state of charge.
I believe it may depend on battery conditions or some other parameters. Mine went into a deep sleep after a month or so (according to the Ford app).

On the other hand, playing with the Android auto with the engine off for more than half an hour get the car to shut down and to ask me to start the engine to restore power.

Mr. Met

06 Time Person ofthe Year
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
2020 GTPP Premium, 2015 GT Premium, 1999 Expedition EB
Where did you read this? My car has sat for two weeks without going into deep sleep. Even remote unlock still worked.

brianbr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic GT PP
It did it in 5 days , then again today . What concerns me is the fluctuations from 12.5 to 14.5 while i am driving. It used to be 13 to 14 consistently.
Mine did the same thing and I didn't like it. If you unplug the battery current sensor near the battery it will charge at a more consistent voltage.

OP
OP
Wickedluis

Wickedluis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luis Salmon
Vehicle(s)
Mine did the same thing and I didn't like it. If you unplug the battery current sensor near the battery it will charge at a more consistent voltage.
I might end up doing this if it keeps up. Its just weird it worked fine until I got it back for a different issue at Ford.

brianbr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic GT PP
I might end up doing this if it keeps up. Its just weird it worked fine until I got it back for a different issue at Ford.
I didn't notice it until I had work done on my car either but it is very common. for voltage to vary between 12.5 and 15 on these cars.
Sponsored