Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
19 F150 19 Explorer 04 Thunderbird
Its over 1000whp now with ported blower still on stock blower pulley. But setup has a overdrive crank pulley though.
Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
My brain is wondering what it would run with the A10 and a converter parked behind it.....

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Same as a full weight GT with that much hp.. which again, no one cares
I'd wager that hardcore strip guys would rather explode an A10 than a DCT. And they can play with converters.

Don't forget, that swapped base GT will be lighter too.

Last edited:

HowlinHorse

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350, 2016 Mustang GT CS - traded in for GT350
BB: I expect there are quite a few folks here who would strongly disagree with "a better manual transmission." I think the facts are out there that show otherwise. If this weren't the case, all these other manufacturers wouldn't be putting DCT's in their HIPO vehicles.
I read that, as better than an MT 82, not better than a DCT. And, I'm only wrong a fair amount so I'm running with that.

Sponsored

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
MT-82 transmissions can handle a lot of power. They are selling supercharged GTs with MT-82s, 700+ HP and a warranty all the time.

So many people knock the MT-82. It's a good transmission.
I would say the MT-82 is, just ok. I would not say it is good. Rubbery shifts. The Tremec is so much better....uh, and good.

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
Lol, I wasn't disputing you. I just meant it seems high until you consider boat motors are even higher than car motors these days!
Yes....

As the horsepower climbs, so do the prices. The 557 costs $79,590; the new 627 goes for almost $90,000.

The 627 is categorized as a high-end outboard, but this is not a limited-edition engine. “Our motor is a production motor, makes rated power on 89 octane and is targeted for big-boat [owners] that want performance and luxury combined,” says Davis’ son Brian, the vice president of operations and finance.

https://www.boot.com/en/Motorboatin...ne_627_-_the_world_s_most_powerful_outboarder

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I would say the MT-82 is, just ok. I would not say it is good. Rubbery shifts. The Tremec is so much better....uh, and good.
When I traded my 2015 GT for my 2016 GT350 I felt the MT-82 was equal or slightly better. On track the Tremec definitely shines, but for street driving IMO the MT-82 works really well. Pre-2015 some of the MT-82s weren't the greatest, but the newer MT-82s are pretty good IMO.

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
When I traded my 2015 GT for my 2016 GT350 I felt the MT-82 was equal or slightly better. On track the Tremec definitely shines, but for street driving IMO the MT-82 works really well. Pre-2015 some of the MT-82s weren't the greatest, but the newer MT-82s are pretty good IMO.
Ok, then maybe my 2014 Mustang GT was at fault with the MT-82 and they are better now after people complained. My GT350 was so much improved.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Ok, then maybe my 2014 Mustang GT was at fault with the MT-82 and they are better now after people complained. My GT350 was so much improved.
Probably. I think the earlier shifters were really bad too - or they wore out prematurely. I had a 2011 GT that was absolutely terrible. I put an MGW shifter in it and that made a world of difference.

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
I'd wager that hardcore strip guys would rather explode an A10 than a DCT. And they can play with converters.

Don't forget, that swapped base GT will be lighter too.
If your hardcore strip, why do a 5.2 swap anyway? Want to dragvrace get a gt, want an all around monster get the gt500. Only clickbaiters would spens the gt500 money and then modify it to go backwards in technology.

At least vmp was semi smart, although laughable to me. They wanted to play in the new gt500 game, but not spend gt500 money, so they got a motor for 20k instead of a full car for 100. Problem is, none of their data correlates to us.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
If your hardcore strip, why do a 5.2 swap anyway? Want to dragvrace get a gt, want an all around monster get the gt500. Only clickbaiters would spens the gt500 money and then modify it to go backwards in technology.

At least vmp was semi smart, although laughable to me. They wanted to play in the new gt500 game, but not spend gt500 money, so they got a motor for 20k instead of a full car for 100. Problem is, none of their data correlates to us.
I look at this swap (and thread) as an interesting shits and grins sort of thing. To that end, who gives a rat's ass about it correlating to anything? I don't see VMP's swap as wanting to "play in the GT500 game", I'll bet they have one by now. This is hot rodding, plain and simple. And they pulled it off. Once GT500s start showing up wrecked in salvage yards you KNOW this swap is going to happen. It's going to be cheaper than a built short block and a new Whipple setup.

I can't imagine anyone wanting to swap the A10 into a GT500. But if somebody wanted to swap a Predator into a lesser Mustang for the hell of it I'd see them going the A10 route, assuming it worked out electrically. And if they pop the trans, swap in another for a fraction of the cost of a DCT.

Agreed on a built GT for hardcore strip use, arguably the cheapest route. But a (presumably) easy-weekend-engine-swap street sleeper is always cool, and this is what the topic evokes.

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
I say correlating because they are pushing HP #'s to sell parts to us 500 owners, but leave out a lot of details, like the addition of longtubes and different transmission. So yea, very cool.to brrak 1k hp.. but the didnt do it on a gt500, and they cant tell me ( a legitimate prospective customer) what the #'s were before and after on that setup, what psi they saw, what psi dropped to ect ect. So to me, marketing hype and fine overall, but not useful to me or the rest of the owners

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Gotcha, I get that. Outside of the "we're first" and the whole hot rodding angle, I can see it as an early parts R&D venture while they (maybe and probably) wait for their actual GT500 to arrive. I'll bet they have better stuff coming tailored to actual GT500 owners soon. Beyond that I'm tempted to ping Justin to see if they're going to bother to offer better swap details.

More poop here, but not the level of detail I'd like to see:

Sponsored

Last edited: