Sponsored

VMP vs Roush vs Whipple vs Edelbrock ??

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
I was on the fence about which SC would fit my needs so I asked one of the premier tuners for his opinion. He provided many comments but here is what he said about low end power:

2650 will hit harder down low.
Whipple will have some punch to it down low but not as much as the 2650.
From the sounds of that, you’re talking about wot low end torque then?
Sponsored

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
From the sounds of that, you’re talking about wot low end torque then?
Exactly. To be clear, however, I have zero personal experience with EB, VMP or Whipple. I am only basing my comments on what I have learned by picking the brains of tuners and installers.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
Ok, well is there any way you could arrange a ride in any of them? I can tell you that the a10 Whipple gen5 stage 2 will instantly smoke the tires at wot at any speed below about 65. I can’t imagine a scenario where I could use any more low-end torque....unless of course you have an m6 and like lugging the engine in the taller gears.

Stymee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
That’s a funny subject too. We’re talking a tq curve that’s so close to each other that it’s probably undetectable to the average racer once going WOT

Then there’s thought that the whipple giving a teeny bit softer hit won’t shock the axles or trans as hard, of course being older and coming from BB Chevys back in the early 80’s I’ve always liked massive low end tq but again r we really gonna feel that once stomping the pedal?

Last edited:

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
If 400 ftlb of torque will spin the tires then what difference does it make if you have 560 or 580?

Sponsored

Draklia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Since you guys are talking low end torque. Here’s what I want. I was next to a corvette the other day sitting at a redlight. He could blip his throttle and make the wheels spin just a revolution or two. I’m procharged, and in my GT and can spin the tires pretty good whenever I want, but have to go WOT To do it, and it equals about 100 tire revolutions so it’s not just a quick spin like the corvette. Do any of the positive displacement blowers allow you to do what I described the corvette doing?

HA8N3RO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Competition Orange Mustang GT
Since you guys are talking low end torque. Here’s what I want. I was next to a corvette the other day sitting at a redlight. He could blip his throttle and make the wheels spin just a revolution or two. I’m procharged, and in my GT and can spin the tires pretty good whenever I want, but have to go WOT To do it, and it equals about 100 tire revolutions so it’s not just a quick spin like the corvette. Do any of the positive displacement blowers allow you to do what I described the corvette doing?
My vote's in for the Edelbrock. While I took advantage of the clearance deals they offered when they got rid of their 2300 rotor pack variants, I just had mine dynoed and made 689 rwhp / 579 rwtq best peak. This has been a great blower and more than enough to meet my needs. The great thing is that torque is instant and puts you back in the seat with anything over 1/4 throttle. Super fun on the street. But I'm sure any PD blower would do the same to be honest. I can say, however, that the Edelbrock has proven great with low IAT's and I have never had a problem with heat, any which way I drive.

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
I have no way of testing an EB vs Whipple both tuned by the same tuner and everything else the same. If smoking the tires at any speed is the issue, I will work on traction....not the amount of torque. :crackup:

I have no doubt that each of these has plenty of low end torque. As I said before, I will not exceed the factory red line or alter the WOT shift points. I am not going to upgrade internal engine components. In discussing that and my other needs with vendors, including a Whipple tech and tuners...primarily Lund....I concluded that a TVS 2650 was best for me.

My installer likes Whipple although he has been doing more EB lately. The local Mustang and drag racing guys who have 9 second cars overwhelmingly recommend Whipple. If I were building a drag car and was going to upgrade every engine component, Whipple would be my choice, too.

Again, I am only basing my comments and choices on the many conversations I have had with tuners, vendors and my installer.

Stymee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
My vote's in for the Edelbrock. While I took advantage of the clearance deals they offered when they got rid of their 2300 rotor pack variants, I just had mine dynoed and made 689 rwhp / 579 rwtq best peak. This has been a great blower and more than enough to meet my needs. The great thing is that torque is instant and puts you back in the seat with anything over 1/4 throttle. Super fun on the street. But I'm sure any PD blower would do the same to be honest. I can say, however, that the Edelbrock has proven great with low IAT's and I have never had a problem with heat, any which way I drive.

Stick or A10, boost levels, what fuel and who tuned it?

Impressive numbers

Sponsored

Draklia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
I wasn’t looking for a vote. I’m wondering if either the Edelbroc or Whipple will allow you to blip the throttle and spin the tires a revolution or two and the car only moves less than a foot while stopped. You know like I described the corvette doing.

Stymee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I wasn’t looking for a vote. I’m wondering if either the Edelbroc or Whipple will allow you to blip the throttle and spin the tires a revolution or two and the car only moves less than a foot while stopped. You know like I described the corvette doing.

I would say yes, just a quick hit of the tires should produce what your asking?

Stymee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
So yours does this, or are you just guessing and giving me answers.

Just an opinion, it’s basic common sense
What is the reason your asking the question Drak?

You have me intrigued

This makes decent low end, its mine and if I snap the throttle it will spin the tire a rev or 2, up shifts it would bark hard
5E73C431-4042-4F59-9353-D227732F3572.jpeg

Last edited:

Draklia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Just an opinion, it’s basic common sense
What is the reason your asking the question Drak?

You have me intrigued

This makes decent low end, mine
5E73C431-4042-4F59-9353-D227732F3572.jpeg
Reason I asked is I was jeolous of the corvette. I could hold my own against him in a race, but can’t chirp the tires like that. Was wondering if it is something the 5.0 won’t do because it’s not a pushrod engine. I bought the Procharger because I got a good deal on it from a guy, but knew it wouldn’t give the low end torque all the positive displacement guys talk about. I’m okay with the centri, actually kind of fun. Just wasn’t sure if that low end torque meant it would chirp tires with a quick blip of the throttle. I suppose it would, but would like to hear from someone with one installed on an S550 and what their experience is with doing what I describe.
Sponsored