VMP Odin IAT

MGR1000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
For those that have the VMP Odin, what IAT’s are you seeing? I live in Florida and even though it isn’t hot yet, I see 30+ degrees over ambient on the highway and will see IATs at 150 when in traffic. I have the triple pass HE that came with the kit and the HE fans are always on. I burped all the HE hoses during the install and haven’t seen the coolant level drop at all in the bottle. With the lid off the bottle, it looks like there is good flow as I can see the coolant circulating. I am using Engine Ice as the coolant in the HE system. The numbers seem a little high compared to what I have seen people post up with other systems.
Sponsored

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
To be honest those are close to Roush IAT2 numbers. I have a very hard time believing that with the superior way the odin is designed that those numbers are normal. Of course if those are not iat2 numbers than most likely they're wrong and not really what you need to be looking at.

OP
OP

MGR1000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
IAT on the Odin is after the intercooler, so it should be the same as IAT2 on the Roush.

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
IAT on the Odin is after the intercooler, so it should be the same as IAT2 on the Roush.
I doubt those numbers are normal. Odin is much more efficient system in regards to heat than a Roush and those are what I see (30+ above ambient) on my Roush. With a smaller Heat Exchanger, smaller bottom mounted IC, and no HE fans.

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
The important IAT that matters is when the bypass closes and you're under boost.

Sponsored

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Except one of them has a much larger dual pass intercooler and should be far more efficient....

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Does the pic below accurately reflect the airbox VMP supply? (Eg. Open top).
If so, this would go a long way to explaining your IAT’s in traffic.
Just remember, all that hot air passing over the IC is actually heating the water in your intercooler system.
Looks like a really bad idea to me.

90191A34-D98B-4DD7-B1AD-DC2356D10477.jpeg

vtknight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
To be honest those are close to Roush IAT2 numbers. I have a very hard time believing that with the superior way the odin is designed that those numbers are normal. Of course if those are not iat2 numbers than most likely they're wrong and not really what you need to be looking at.
When I thought my Gen V wouldn't be coming in - I looked at the VMP Odin - and I wanted to ask about the superior way they are designed. This at its core is a Roots 2650 blower correct? Roots are the absolute worst for heat production and heat soak in my experience. Is that different with the VMP and if so - why?

Jester46

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jed
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
I live in the Savannah Georgia area and usually see 30 to 40 degrees over ambient running and 50 to 60 over in traffic. I think an airbox lid would help but not sure that enough air could be drawn from the grille under boost. I'm not an engineer however.

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
When I thought my Gen V wouldn't be coming in - I looked at the VMP Odin - and I wanted to ask about the superior way they are designed. This at its core is a Roots 2650 blower correct? Roots are the absolute worst for heat production and heat soak in my experience. Is that different with the VMP and if so - why?
It’s based on a roots blower but it’s not a roots blower, it’s a TVS, just like all the other TVS blowers out there.

Sponsored

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I live in the Savannah Georgia area and usually see 30 to 40 degrees over ambient running and 50 to 60 over in traffic. I think an airbox lid would help but not sure that enough air could be drawn from the grille under boost. I'm not an engineer however.
Edelbrock don’t seem to have any issues with their closed lid air boxes, nor do Whipple. Yeah, ok, if you’re running a tonne of boost and looking for ultra-mega power, it could pose a restriction, but for the majority, it’s perfectly adequate. Certainly better than slowly boiling the water that’s supposed to be keeping things cool.

vtknight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
It’s based on a roots blower but it’s not a roots blower, it’s a TVS, just like all the other TVS blowers out there.
I have had Eaton blowers before - my understanding is they are known as a "roots type" blower. Even on their own website. I have always thought there are only 3 major supercharger types; Roots, Twin Screw and Centrifugal. So - if the Eaton Twin Vortices Series blowers are not a Roots blower - does that mean they are not as susceptible to heat production and heat soak? What are the differences between Roots and TVS? My (being fair very tiny, high RPM) TVS unit heat soaked pretty impressively which is why I changed it out for a PC back in the day. When the 2.65L came out - it was all the buzz - being on the C7 ZR1 and all - but I didn't see much from it since. If it is a viable platform - (and I have seen VMP doing some good work with it) - I wanted to hear from owners and how it is behaving heat wise.

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I have had Eaton blowers before - my understanding is they are known as a "roots type" blower. Even on their own website. I have always thought there are only 3 major supercharger types; Roots, Twin Screw and Centrifugal. So - if the Eaton Twin Vortices Series blowers are not a Roots blower - does that mean they are not as susceptible to heat production and heat soak? What are the differences between Roots and TVS? My (being fair very tiny, high RPM) TVS unit heat soaked pretty impressively which is why I changed it out for a PC back in the day. When the 2.65L came out - it was all the buzz - being on the C7 ZR1 and all - but I didn't see much from it since. If it is a viable platform - (and I have seen VMP doing some good work with it) - I wanted to hear from owners and how it is behaving heat wise.
It would be described as a roots blower in terms of its operation. Eg. The direction of rotor rotation and where compression occurs.
My TVS performs brilliantly in terms of heat, better than my Whipple did. However, the Whipple was Gen 2 (traditional IC) vs inverted style and the TVS has phenolic spacers under it.
In other words, the “gap” in IAT’s between the TVS and the TS can be more than overcome by adding spacers and inverting the IC.
I‘m reasonably certain that a TS would do even better again with the same luxuries, but realistically, when you’re driving around with IAT’s less than 5*c above ambient, there’s not much left to gain.

vtknight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
It would be described as a roots blower in terms of its operation. Eg. The direction of rotor rotation and where compression occurs.
My TVS performs brilliantly in terms of heat, better than my Whipple did. However, the Whipple was Gen 2 (traditional IC) vs inverted style and the TVS has phenolic spacers under it.
In other words, the “gap” in IAT’s between the TVS and the TS can be more than overcome by adding spacers and inverting the IC.
I‘m reasonably certain that a TS would do even better again with the same luxuries, but realistically, when you’re driving around with IAT’s less than 5*c above ambient, there’s not much left to gain.
Thank-you for that response. Are you running a Chiller with your setup? The VMP setup is cheaper than the Gen V - which is what I still have on order - and wanted to see if I should and or could swap with my goals. I already have my trunk cooler installed - so there is no going back there lol. I am surprised to hear a roots-type doing that well. No meth either?

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Thank-you for that response. Are you running a Chiller with your setup? The VMP setup is cheaper than the Gen V - which is what I still have on order - and wanted to see if I should and or could swap with my goals. I already have my trunk cooler installed - so there is no going back there lol. I am surprised to hear a roots-type doing that well. No meth either?
No chiller, no meth. Separating the body of the blower from the heads is probably THE single best thing you can do to avoid high IAT’s. I’m actually surprised that the manufacturers haven’t redesigned their blowers to use them (eg. Remove thickness of phenolic material from inlet runners, add phenolic spacer to equivalent of removed material, thereby maintaining the final installed height).
Sponsored