Sponsored

VMP now recommends using billet OPG's on E85 tuned n/a 'yotes! Say wha?

1MEAN18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT
Yeah, a couple weeks ago (I follow VMP videos on YouTube) they started recommending to even us E85 n/a coyote guys that we consider (they said strongly) upgrading to billet OPG's and crank sprockets. They are claiming (and I think it makes some sense) that engine harmonics and vibration that comes from being able to spin these engine's out to nearly 8k on our E85 tunes can and will cause quicker premature damage, especially on the OPG's. Great...just when I thought my build was pretty much done, now I've got this little voice saying softly in my ear, time to tear it down and spend more money. Anyone else have rock solid info on this? Or notice what VMP is now saying? Engine builders, or coyote guys (especially 3rd gen builds with 12:1 compression and DI) catch this or see this as a real life issue? I mean VMP has a great reputation, and I know they communicate with awesome engine builders too. Is this discussion worth having? All opinions matter, just like all coyote lives matter.
Sponsored

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
The 18-19 have an improved fluid filled stock harmonic balancer I believe that the 15-17's did not have. I was told that this should give better peace of mind concerning opg breakage with these model years.

OP
OP

1MEAN18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT
The 18-19 have an improved fluid filled stock harmonic balancer I believe that the 15-17's did not have. I was told that this should give better peace of mind concerning opg breakage with these model years.
In their video from a couple weeks ago, they specifically mentioned Gen 3's too. At first, when I hear that, I instantly discounted it. But over days, it kept coming back to mind, and the more I thought about it, the more I started to wonder if they had a really good point. Now, I think they make a great point, even for Gen 3 owners. I mean, E85 and catless long tubes with a JLT cai makes 480 to 490 in A10 cars, and I've seen a few stick cars actually put down 50X whp. Gen 1 and 2 Coyotes never saw numbers like that from tune/headers only. I mean that DI and 12:1 compression coupled with a superior intake manifold really upped the game, its reasonable to think VMP's warning makes a good point? That's why I wanted to bring this up in a new thread to see if I can worry more of my fellow E85 users...ya know...misery does love company!

OP
OP

1MEAN18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT
My question is do we have the same OPG as the GT350? If so we should be good to spin to least 8200.
That's a great question. I know we have their lighter weight oil pan. OPG's the same? Again...great question.

Sponsored

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
It was my understanding that anytime you spin a modular or coyote past 7K your playing with fire, no matter what fuel you run or what mods you have or whether you are N/A or F/I until you go with billet OPG's and sprocket.

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
Running e85 for over 5500 miles and no reason to shift over 7500 rpms. Do not opgā€™s for that...

Sponsored

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
If you're not bouncing off the rev limiter then what's the problem?

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
I guess this is one of those "can't hurt" - other than your wallet - sort of mods. You know, assuming you're already modified/tuned/etc., and warranty isn't a concern.

Chainsaw

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Magnetic Gray A10, 401A, PP1.
Justin Starkey the P.T. Barnum of the 21st century.

ChristianDev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Mustang GT MT
620 wheel for 10k miles no issues on stock opg shifting at 7800. About to upgrade them this weekend though just for peace of mind
Sponsored