OP
OP
Doctor Fishtail

Doctor Fishtail

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
The faster the water flows through the intercooler the more heat is pulled out because the differential of temperature is higher. The heat exchanger the differential is less so it helps to be in the HE longer but not so long that there is no differential in temperature. That won't happen as no heat exchanger can be made that big. Faster water flow is better ask any thermodynamic engineer...I have.
I have had engineers tell me otherwise. When you flow the coolant to fast you are not giving the HE a chance to do its job. Honestly I have heard pros go back and forth on this topic. Who is right or who is wrong? Guys will get on here and swear they know but in the end nobody knows. LOL. I just want to keep engine from detonating so looks like the VMP HE is the way to go. Unless Whipple can provide me with a HE at a better cost. :cheers:
Sponsored

Superman15

Shake n Bake
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium PP Oxford White
Both sides make total sense. Stupid science :frusty: lol

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
Too funny.
I was on the VMP website, (AGAIN! lol) last night and I had it added to my "wish list" as well as a slew of other goodies. :D

Vile_the_Bastage

of Clan Bastage
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Internet Legend
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Just do like I did and buy her boobs! Win win now she cant say a peep about how mush mods cost lol
We must think the same, because February 2015 I got my wife a set. So when October 2015 came, and I wanted my supercharger, all she could do was stand by as I clicked "Add to Cart".

Great minds...

Sponsored

caustin69

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Vehicle(s)
2020 Iconic GT500/ 2021 F150
In red text is what I was trying to explain to these guys yesterday. A easier example to help prove your point would be if you are working outdoors in 100 degree Texas heat and and then run fast through an air-conditioned cool building you will cool down. BUT if you walk slowly through the building you will be cooler coming out the other side thus slower flow through the intercooler gives better cooling. :thumbsup:

WhippleSC didn't say it was needed, he said it would be helpful. As far as what VNMOUS1 posted.......I'm curious as to why they would upgrade the pump if they didn't feel it was helpful.......here are some pics and a link that tells me that upgrading the pump is helpful.

http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-...hargers-tvs-ultimate-performance-kit-install/

vmp3.png

vmp2.png
vmp1.png

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I'm really impressed with Whipple and thier willingness to help, even some sort of exchange that's unheard of. On a side note I would like to see the IATs and rwhp on immediate back to back runs.

Dntalman

Black Top Brawler
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
What about a Killer Chiller set-up.. I have great success on my Lightning with one.

proamas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 50 Year Package
I've been considering this on my 3.2 KB. The one thing I don't like about KB is the HE. This looks like it would seriously help out with my heat soak issues down here in Florida. :frusty:

OP
OP
Doctor Fishtail

Doctor Fishtail

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I've been considering this on my 3.2 KB. The one thing I don't like about KB is the HE. This looks like it would seriously help out with my heat soak issues down here in Florida. :frusty:
No doubt. As soon as I find out how to take the nose off this Mustang I will attack this beautiful piece of art.

Sponsored

Whipple SC

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0
The faster the water flows through the intercooler the more heat is pulled out because the differential of temperature is higher. The heat exchanger the differential is less so it helps to be in the HE longer but not so long that there is no differential in temperature. That won't happen as no heat exchanger can be made that big. Faster water flow is better ask any thermodynamic engineer...I have.
This is 100% correct. We have been manufacturing kits far longer than most and have worked with every large intercooler and heat exchanger company (Garrett, Thermal Dynamics, Fluidyne, Griffin, Spearco....). In every single test more flow wins. There is a balance as you want fast flowing through the intercooler and slower flowing through the LTR due to the temp differential, but it's in the same system so if you go triple pass, which is 27x the pressure drop, you have increased cooking capacity but have limited thermal efficiency in the IC core which has by far the greatest temp differential.

Therefore you have to increase pump capacity just to get back to a single pass or dual pass flow. The issue is the electric pumps lower flow with pressure increase and therefore limit flow. So while one is trying to cool the water down more the air charge is heating up. We know this since we've tested them all.

Look at every OEM supercharged application in last 10 years, the higher the power the higher the flowing pump. The Ford GT, Corvette LS9, GT500 13-14 vs earlier..... The standard Bosch pump is at best 5gpm but with standard pressure, it's closer to 3.5gpm, with a triple pass and 27x the restriction, flow is below 3gpm.

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
What about a Killer Chiller set-up.. I have great success on my Lightning with one.
A Killer Chiller set up is great, but don't you always have to make sure you are running it being correctly mixed ratios and you always have to make sure you some on hand as well??

Brian Z.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
I went the killer chiller route on my GT500. Big mistake. Had leaks and issues and would never recommend it again. I'm sure others have had no issues, but I had nothing but issues with mine and regretted going that route.

Dntalman

Black Top Brawler
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
A Killer Chiller set up is great, but don't you always have to make sure you are running it being correctly mixed ratios and you always have to make sure you some on hand as well??
I think you are referring to a Meth kit. This is the set-up that runs through your A/C system. I don't think they have a system for the supercharged Coyote's yet.. I am going to see if they can or will make one.. It works great on my Lightning...

jaja6009

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No s550 yet :(
I have some info to add from my own personal experience.
My 05 GT had a Saleen blower on it. OF all the S197 4.6 blower the Saleen was one of the hotter blowers you could get. Restrictive intercooler, small heat exchanger and the fact it sat upside down with the head unit blowing up into the runners. Heat sink was a huge problem.
I switched to a Revan Racing dual pass heat exchanger with fans. This gave was a LOT bigger than the Saleen heat exchanger and the fans were HUGE when sitting at a traffic light.
Just by adding the new heat exchanger post boost IATs dropped. Next I went with a higher flowing pump. I chose a Meizere 25gpm pump. This pump while rated higher than the Bosch pump in reality was only a little bit better flowing. The Saleen system was very restrictive and made the pump have to push against a lot of pressure. the 25 GPM when having to push agaisnt pressure was down to more around 10GPM or so. I then added the Stewart EMP pump (expensive). But this pump worked better than any other pump I saw data on when pushing against pressure. I also removed the prebent hose lines and added my own with no sharp curves, just gentle bends and my system was complete. I ran 85 coolant/15 water and a surfactant (Purple Ice) and I had a pretty good cooling setup. 96 degree day when I was cruising even after having stopped at a store the car IAT's would return to around 10 degrees over ambient outside air.

I do not have the knowledge of Whipple or most of you guys but my take is in these systems you cannot move the water too fast. I dont know if there is a point of moving the water too fast just because there is no pump that I could find that would be able to do it. Im just saying that with all the currently available feasible pumps you cannot move water too fast. From the Saleen Bosch pump to the Meizere 25gpm to the Stewart EMP every increase in GPM made the IAT's drop.

At the time I was following the Department of Boost guys. They had a big write up on intercoolers on S197 forum. And I found the info to be spot on.
1/4 mile pass would have 145 on the end of the pass, by the time I would hit the return lane it was down to 104. I think my results with something as efficient as this new Whipple would of been even better since the Saleen was such a hair dryer.

I found the hardest part about IAT's was just normal cruising on a hot day. Stop and go traffic, and any stops at stores really liked to try and heat soak the car.
Sponsored