Sponsored

Viking Shocks - The PP "Bounce" is Gone!

MtnBiker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Installed the Viking Warrior shocks on my GT PP yesterday. Thought I’d share some first impressions. Cutting to the chase … the bounciness of the PP suspension is gone!

Since several folks have asked questions about the pairing of springs and these shocks I’ll preface this review with a rundown of the car. The goal for my GT is a fun daily driver that let’s me hoon it up on back roads every once in a while. I’m not trying to build a racing car. I’ve left the springs and sway bars stock. I did install the BMR BK048 Delrin bushings on the rear sub-frame (the stock ones were just way too gooey). Great product by the way.

Initial observations: I’ve set up these shocks at the upper threshold of aggressive for street applications (Compression 3 clicks and Rebound 5). The ride quality is dramatically improved in a few ways.

The current shock settings do feel a little bit softer on initial impact but seem better behaved on rebound. There is a “boy racer” quality to the stock PP shocks but after 6 weeks the bounciness was more of an annoyance than anything. The new shocks don’t tone down sporty as much as they add more control and suppleness. The Vikings seem to provide more control over big motions on undulating pavement, especially side to side (see the Smoking Tire GT review at Willow Springs for reference). And over sharper bumps you feel them one time instead of having the bouncy aftershock. Another benefit of the Vikings is enhanced front to back balance - as if both ends have been through marriage counseling. The compression and rebound and even the spring rates "feel" much more even. The shocks also seem to make throttle induced transitions from neutral to oversteer more progressive and predictable. I will say – ultimate grip might be a little lower on the 3/5 setting. Regardless, on a winding back road the car was planted and predictable. And more fun overall. How much those subjective improvements are due to locking down my sub-frame I can’t say – perhaps improving the balance of controlled vs sloppy motion has benefits. YMMV. When I try out the next setting up (C4 – R6) I’ll provide some further review.

As for installation, the Vikings go on easy but you are on your own. The instructions are essentially useless outside of the valve settings. Another quibble, Viking provides a single washer per bolt. Compared to the OEM bolts that have integral washers, this seems like a miss. I’d get 4 additional washers to pair with these more traditional fasteners so as not to damage the aluminum fittings top and bottom. The threaded end comes with a nut and jam nut. Since the nuts are 1) inset a bit into the shock bracket and, 2) both the same outside diameter, it makes a proper “use two wrenches” jam nut setup a little tough. I added blue Loctite and hope for the best. No torque settings are given. I re-used the OEM cap over the threaded end.

Fit and finish are outstanding … almost too much for a part that hides behind your brake rotor. I do a lot of cycling and the fit and satin finish are up to high-end bike part standards. The valves themselves have a healthy amount of twist for each “click” so it seems something non-gimmicky is going on inside. Each click does seem to make a significant change.

Bottom line – the GT is still a blast on a back road and a lot more pleasant to drive to work each day. Once a Viking front strut option is available these parts will enable everything from pleasant touring to a gonzo cross or track experience at a very attractive price point. Happy so far.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Nanashii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Once a Viking front strut option is available these parts will enable everything from pleasant touring to a gonzo cross or track experience at a very attractive price point. Happy so far.
Do we know when that'll be? I would have ordered the shocks by now, but so far nobody has any info or rough ETA on the struts.

Cars_1959

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bert
Vehicle(s)
2012 Hyundai Genesis 3.8
Did you install the Vikings front and rear or just the front?

This sounds like a mod I'd be interested in later on. I've only done a test drive so far but I did notice that bounce a little. Sounds like I won't have to put up with it and stay away from being a brutal tight ride all the time.:cheers:

OP
OP

MtnBiker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Cars_1959 - Only rears available now. As many have acknowledged, there is no ETA on front struts.

Sponsored

Cars_1959

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bert
Vehicle(s)
2012 Hyundai Genesis 3.8
Cars_1959 - Only rears available now. As many have acknowledged, there is no ETA on front struts.
Thanks MtnBiker

From your review it sounds like both front and rear bounce were tamed with the Vikings.
Good review and i look forward to more.

OP
OP

MtnBiker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Talked to BMR (Facebook support page). Recommended cranking up the compression without adjusting the rebound. Went to C4/R5. A little firmer, still not as bouncy as stock. Definitely livable.

And discovered something else cool. Figured I'd have to take off the wheels to adjust the shocks. But no...the valves are accessible through the bottom of the lower control arm. No jacking required. Pretty easy if laying on the ground and shoulder mobility are options. Sure would make track days a breeze - drive up comfy and race in gonzo mode.

OP
OP

MtnBiker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
My "fun" route home from work includes a tricky little section of bumpy pavement that integrates a veer to the right and some wavy-gravy stuff that has unsettled all of my cars. It really makes the suspension floaty and skittish (the Mustang with stock shocks too). The Vikings on the C4/R5 setting did significantly better than stock. Comfortable, controlled, no drama. I'm really impressed with this combination.

dsp4848

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Magnetic
Are the Viking Warrior shocks' model number VIK-B258? Just wondering if these are different from the Crusaders that they also sell.

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2010 GT500, 2019 F-150 5.0
Yes. The Warriors are the B258.

The Crusaders are the B358AM or AP.

If you have any questions, I assisted Viking with the development of them and can share whatever info you need, to an extent.

Sponsored

jc1804

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB PP 50th Race red
so if I wanted a set for a DD only (not going to track at all) & wanted to "tame" the washboard freeway ride, which route would be recommended?

Thanks

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
The route would go like this.

Acquire and install the B258 Shocks

Set them at 3C/5R to start.

If it didn't meet your needs and goals for ride comfort (it will for performance) then swap to 5C/3R.

If that was not what you are looking for....then go back to 3C/5R and just go up or down, to see what you like.

No one has ever gone from a stock OEM damper, to a nice double adjustable and not been happy with it - I can promise you that.

As far as I am concerned, on a lowered S550....the rear shocks (upgrading them) are a must.

jc1804

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB PP 50th Race red
order forth coming (on payday) any discount codes?
Thanks for the info kelly

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
No problem.

I would keep an eye out for July 4 sales from various Viking Dealers if you are looking for a discount.

Good luck and enjoy!

Nanashii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I reached out to Viking today regarding the struts. Struts for the S550 are in development and should be available by November. They will also be releasing SN95 and S197 struts in the coming months (before the S550 struts).
Sponsored