mogo91617

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Xuan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 50th Anniversary Edition
Hi Guys,

Winter is coming! And my daily drive Mustang starts rattle worse. If you could see the video below, you will understand why this drives me nuts. It took me several hours, and test drives, and blood on my hands, still cannot locate the noise so I am here.........

It starts at cruising speed 70m/hr and gets worse above. The rattle frequency heavily associates with wind speed, it's not like machine rotational frequency from the engine vibrate. This rattle frequency is random, but the sound definitely gets louder if I drive faster. If I get passed by another truck or if the surrounding air pressure change due to the wind, the rattle frequency will change too.

To test where the sound source is, I took off the cheap Chinese-made amplifier (Thanks FORD!) from the wall and the rattle actually gets slightly louder, so it's not because of the amplifier itself. But the sound source probably very close to that area because the sheet metal wall becomes lighter and easier to make noise, or simply because the amplifier actually helped to muffle some of the noise.

I also used a lot of foam tape to wrap the hood release cable from the handle to the firewall, and from the firewall to the front headlight area. No change, so it's not the hood release cable.

I also use my palm to hit upward to the fender wheel liner, it's a little bit loose. So I took the tire and liner off, drill some holes on different locations of the liner, then use some zip ties to firmly tightening the liner to the metal body. No Change.

Maybe it's from inside the door or maybe A-pillar? I don't know. I have dealership did the door latch recall, they may improperly put parts back?

Please have me some suggestions, any......................

Sponsored

Soulja4187

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium & 2022 Audi A5 S-Line
Have you checked the side skirt? I know those metal clips when they come loose they make sounds

OP
OP
mogo91617

mogo91617

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Xuan
Vehicle(s)
Have you checked the side skirt? I know those metal clips when they come loose they make sounds
Not yet, that sounds pretty complicated but will do, and maybe I can remove the door sill panel at the same time, see if the noise was from there.

OP
OP
mogo91617

mogo91617

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Xuan
Vehicle(s)
Thank you so much, the issue was exactly like what you said. On both side of side skirt, first plastic bolt facing to the ground was very loose. I push all the skirt bolt in firmly, then the noise just gone!

I need to buy some of these plastic bolts since days after I push them back, the noise come back and bolts were loose again. Dainnnnn

Soulja4187

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium & 2022 Audi A5 S-Line
Thank you so much, the issue was exactly like what you said. On both side of side skirt, first plastic bolt facing to the ground was very loose. I push all the skirt bolt in firmly, then the noise just gone!

I need to buy some of these plastic bolts since days after I push them back, the noise come back and bolts were loose again. Dainnnnn
Replace the clips thats what will stop the noise also use loctite
Sponsored