Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Do we have the weight figures on the Mach 1? With all the additional cooling and wider wheel tire combo, it may turn out to be the most heavy NA mustang gt to date.
I see little reason for it to be any more than 50lbs heavier than a PP2. Coolers don’t weigh that much, the new trans is about 20lbs lighter than the MT82, and it has the same wheel/tire/brake specs as the PP2, but without the 5lb engine cover
Sponsored

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4
Damn, when I saw the preview pic on the home page, I got my hopes up for a sec that the yellow one might be a very light green... Looks like it's just plain ol' yellow.

MountainStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang GT
Maybe they’ll have track experience since it’s supposed to be the most track capable 5.0 ever. They have a experience for the new bronco (not ford performance)

Katastrophe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Honda Civic Sedan EX, 2014 Honda VFR800F
so when the VW Beetle makes a couple laps around the 'ring does that mean it's a performance vehicle? Any schmuck can drive on the 'Ring. Just saying.
It means the company is spending the time and money on one of the best roads/tracks on the planet for vehicle calibration. It also shows that the vehicle went through enough changes from the Bullitt and GT that Ford deemed it necessary to put the extra time/money for the 'Ring. Just my 0.02...

Sponsored

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Except the Ring shares similarities with roads and tracks all over the world to the tune of probably somewhere between none and 0.2%. All good if it was a dedicated track day weapon like the KTM Crossbow or Ferrari FXX, or a high end supercar unlikely to be a DD.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Except the Ring shares similarities with roads and tracks all over the world to the tune of probably somewhere between none and 0.2%. All good if it was a dedicated track day weapon like the KTM Crossbow or Ferrari FXX, or a high end supercar unlikely to be a DD.
If you’re buying a Mach 1 as a DD, you’re buying for the wrong reason. Just get a base model, or something that isn’t a Mustang

MountainStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang GT
Anyone notice the difference in colors on the grabber yellow Mach 1 between the two videos? The 1st video shows the color similar to other spy photos, but the second shows the color more similar to its 70’s counterpart (more faded). Obviously there’s difference in camera types, but I wonder which is more realistic.

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you’re buying a Mach 1 as a DD, you’re buying for the wrong reason. Just get a base model, or something that isn’t a Mustang
Not sure about this line of thought... If people followed your advice here, almost every sports car and supercar in the world would die right now, not to mention off road vehicles and trucks. Every purpose-built car ever made is almost never bought by people who plan to exclusively use it for that purpose, and the vast majority are bought by people who almost never use it for that purpose. If not for those people, these cars would never see production.

Also, calling the Mach 1 a dedicated track toy is a stretch, at best. This is a highly capable street car.

Even if someone WERE only ever going to drive this thing on the track, then that person of all people would understand quite well how silly forum/magazine racers (these people who meticulously compare spec sheets, 0-60 times, track times, lateral Gs...) really are. If the car is three seconds faster on the 'Ring, in the hands of a professional driver far more capable than you'll ever be on a track you'll probably never drive in your car, is that going to affect your enjoyment of the car at your next track weekend? How so?

EDIT: OK, I think you can disregard some of the above. I shouldn't have been lazy and should have read more of the discussion. Sounds like you were just talking about the value of track testing at the ring, and if that's the case, I agree that's a worthwhile thing to do. I'm just saying we don't need an official 'Ring time (and all the silly games manufacturers play with them) to understand whether this car is worth buying.

Sponsored

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
EDIT: OK, I think you can disregard some of the above. I shouldn't have been lazy and should have read more of the discussion. Sounds like you were just talking about the value of track testing at the ring, and if that's the case, I agree that's a worthwhile thing to do. I'm just saying we don't need an official 'Ring time (and all the silly games manufacturers play with them) to understand whether this car is worth buying.
This is part of my reasoning

The other part is that I think you’re conflating “DD” with “street driven”. I’m not saying that the car should be a car that never touches a public road and only sees racetracks, because that simply isn’t the case. What I’m saying is that this certainly isn’t the car to buy as a commuter with no intentions of actually driving it in a performance capacity. It’s a performance car, it’s meant to be driven hard. If you want a daily driver, there are other options out there that are cheaper, more spacious, more comfortable, cheaper on consumables, cheaper to insure, and just all around better for the dull toll of Point A-Point B driving. But people who buy cars like this to be a daily driver are ultimately the kind of people who lead to performance cars being diluted... they buy it, then complain about how the ride is too harsh, or the tires wear too fast, or the breaks squeak too much and produce too much dust, or the tires wear out too quickly, and next thing you know the manufacturers start catering to them because they’re the ones who start screaming the loudest

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

The other part is that I think you’re conflating “DD” with “street driven”. I’m not saying that the car should be a car that never touches a public road and only sees racetracks, because that simply isn’t the case. What I’m saying is that this certainly isn’t the car to buy as a commuter with no intentions of actually driving it in a performance capacity. It’s a performance car, it’s meant to be driven hard. If you want a daily driver, there are other options out there that are cheaper, more spacious, more comfortable, cheaper on consumables, cheaper to insure, and just all around better for the dull toll of Point A-Point B driving. But people who buy cars like this to be a daily driver are ultimately the kind of people who lead to performance cars being diluted... they buy it, then complain about how the ride is too harsh, or the tires wear too fast, or the breaks squeak too much and produce too much dust, or the tires wear out too quickly, and next thing you know the manufacturers start catering to them because they’re the ones who start screaming the loudest
I understand DD and street driving are not the same thing -- I was taking it one step further. But ultimately, the point is that even those who don't DD their track/autocross toys are still driving them mostly on the street, at least until they get fully invested in the hobby, and mutate their car into a track beast that is no longer safe, legal, or tolerable to drive on the street. Then there's the fact that a good many (often, a majority) of people who buy fully track-capable production cars do so with zero intention of ever tracking them. There are people out there DDing GT350s, M3 Competitions, and Porsche GT cars. The Mach 1 isn't even on that level, let alone being some crazy, stripped down track monster. It's still based heavily on one of the best GT cars, just with a bit more performance. And half the point of some of these upgrades (like magneride and active exhaust) are to keep the car street friendly while still being fun, fast, and trackable.

That's not to say there aren't some silly people with more money than sense who buy these cars for the wrong reasons, and don't understand what they're getting themselves into. But again, these cars would just not make enough money to justify their production or existence if not for the people who bought the car to under-use it.

DaveB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 gt350, 16 gt/cs (wife)
Vehicle Showcase

Well damn....I guess I should stop daily driving my gt350 then. Since you say it's pointless to have it for that. .. even though I do intend on tracking it, and using it as a track toy. Its actually alot more comfortable as a daily than my 13 camaro 1LE was....and I never complained about it either.

ddanj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro V6 1LE
I think plenty of poeple who can't or don't want to have 2 cars, settle for a daily sports car that they can take to the track. I'm certainly one of those people.

Mach 1 sounds pretty good in these clips! Thanks for sharing.

All the minor changes add up to a Mustang I've been looking for since the 2018 refresh.

stageron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ronnie
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2559, Lexus NX300
The Mach 1 without the track pack is the perfect car for me to enjoy
I think plenty of poeple who can't or don't want to have 2 cars, settle for a daily sports car that they can take to the track. I'm certainly one of those people.

Mach 1 sounds pretty good in these clips! Thanks for sharing.

All the minor changes add up to a Mustang I've been looking for since the 2018 refresh.
Mach 1 non track pack = perfect daily driver....for me anyway
Sponsored