mavmrb3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brady
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt-DHG | 2010 Yaris 3Dr HB |
I need your help, friends?

The reverse lockout ring on your manual transmission gearshift helps prevent accidental shifting into reverse gear when attempting to shift into a forward gear. Well on Sunday after a drive I stopped over a friends house. She tells me to go back to the back lot. I put the car in reverse park, throw it in neutral, and apply the parking break. When I leave to drive forward pushing the shifter knob to the left and forward to first gear my reverse comes on? At first I was a bit baffled? I instantly popped it out and pushed it straight forward and it showed first gear, but pushing it forward like I did should bring it to third? I was like WTF! Then I realize that my collar was locked in the up reverse position!!! It would not come down. I had to make a mental note when driving home to push up forward to shift to 1st and not to shift left and up normally to first or else the gears would go in reverse. The first light that was only 100 feet I came to a stop and miraculously it must have popped down. I drove home around 5 miles and parked, not using it again. I will not use it again until I find out what is happening? If it happened one time like this, it will happen again! I only have 3,300 miles. It was a extremely hot day and the car was parked in the sun when this happened. The shifter was hot as hell. But this should not happen period. Very unsafe for a $50,000.00 car.

At this point I'm very unnerved.

Has others experienced this?
What is the reason? What did you do?
Has there been a recall for this?
Are there links to threads on this issue?

Please help!

Thanks,
Brady
Sponsored

sport160

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neil
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
There is a post in the GT350 forum from someone with exactly the same issue

JohnnyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'20 Mustang GT, '17 Expedition, '04 LS430
It's happened to me twice, last time about a month ago. Both days it was 90+ degrees out and the car was sitting in the sun all morning. Backed out of the driveway was stuck in reverse.

I was going to get it checked out but it hasn't happened again.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
A lot of the plastic fitment is bad and heat expansion causes things to stick. My down arrow does it on my car. With that said, steeda sells a much better delrin or aluminum lockout collar. Replace it and you'll be good to go.

JohnnyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
A lot of the plastic fitment is bad and heat expansion causes things to stick. My down arrow does it on my car. With that said, steeda sells a much better delrin or aluminum lockout collar. Replace it and you'll be good to go.
That's what I assumed happened.

I ended up buying the delrin collar; plan to install it when I do my new shifter...whenever that happens.

Sponsored

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
That's what I assumed happened.

I ended up buying the delrin collar; plan to install it when I do my new shifter...whenever that happens.
I have the Steeda aluminum collar and when I went to install it, I found that you need to cut the threads on the boot in order to fit it. You may need to be prepared to hand stitch the boot tight again once the collar has been fitted. My threads ended up unraveling more than needed, so I just bought another factory boot/collar.

JohnnyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Happened to me again today. Same conditions; hot and sitting in the sun.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra