Sponsored

"Venom Kills Demons" - Jim Owens (Ford Performance Marketing Manager)

Nameless

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tedd
Vehicle(s)
'13 GT
...and now because they let Jim Owens say what he said..if it *doesn't* kill the Demon in the 1/4 mile (yes, with it's equipment like the drag wheels and transbrake/etc)..it'll come off as "wow wasn't that a neat thing to say? Too bad Ford talked a big game and failed".

People can dance around it talking about being a better all around car, or a balanced car, or etc..the fact is that Ford has thrown down the gauntlet against the Demon for 1/4 mile cred, and now THEY have to make good on it.
if the GT500 doesn't beat the Demon in at least one performance metric, Jim is going to have egg on his face. Especially as everyone knows the Demon's main bragging right is its 1/4 mile time, and that's what many will judge the GT500 on now.
That’s what I’m afraid of.... Jim spoke more than he should just to put the mustang in a good place, however if it doesn’t outperform the demon in the 1/4 mile (pretty sure it won’t) It will definetely put the GT500 in a bad position even if it’s a “better car” all around.

Farruko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red GT 2016
I think there will be an R. Base weight starts at GT350 weight with added weight of a blower package and initial savings of a CF driveshaft and R model has CF Wheels and CC rotors to keep weight close to The GT350R or down around 3600. Might be wishing here but totally doable. Now if they go with aluminum doors, trunk and roof, maybe a totally loaded GT500R could actually be lighter.
Weight around 3600lb? :lol:

Cool story bro, add around 400lb in there and you will be in the ballpark for the “R” model.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Thoughts on the venom being a 1/4 mile variant of the gt500?
The GT500 is basically the Cobra (included by the badging).

Cobras have venom. Apparently venom kills demons according to Jim.

That seems to be all that was meant.

And I don't think Ford is worried at all by that comment. Especially with a possible KR tier.

Jim and the Shelby prez had that "I know something you wish you knew and I'm having a hard time containing myself" kind of confidence.

The 1/4 mile is NOT something the GT500 has forgotten. They strongly hinted that when talking about certain performance parameters that Carroll Shelby laid down as must haves in the GT500s.

Sponsored

Farruko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red GT 2016
Especially with a possible R tier.
Just R, not KR.

Jim and the Shelby prez had that "I know something you wish you knew and I'm having a hard time containing myself" kind of confidence.

The 1/4 mile is NOT something the GT500 has forgotten. They strongly hinted that when talking about certain performance parameters that Carroll Shelby laid down as must haves in the GT500s.
The 1/4 mile is NOT something the GT500 will be focused on. The new GT500 will be completely awesome, but it WON’T defeat the Demon in the 1/4 mile.

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
Just R, not KR.

The 1/4 mile is NOT something the GT500 will be focused on. The new GT500 will be completely awesome, but it WON’T defeat the Demon in the 1/4 mile.
Do you think it’ll be capable of low-mid 10’s? Or is mid 10’s best case scenario, more likely high 10’s?

Farruko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red GT 2016
Do you think it’ll be capable of low-mid 10’s? Or is mid 10’s best case scenario, more likely high 10’s?
High 10’s, just a bit faster than the Corvette Z06 and significantly faster than the Hellcat widebody.

DougRed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT

Sponsored

Dub347sbf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 4x4 Lariat 3.5 Ecoboost
This is a pretty crazy statement knowing the demon is a straight line car. I don't expect it to beat it in a straight line and don't care either, i bet he meant hellcat and i bet he might regret the statement. I would take the projected gt500 every time over the demon, stock quarter mile be damned.

wproctor411

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT
Weight around 3600lb? :lol:

Cool story bro, add around 400lb in there and you will be in the ballpark for the “R” model.
I’d bet a dollar they are taking the GT350 to make the GT500 and an R model would take light weighting a few steps further than the GT350R. Carbon rotors would shave 80lbs and a carbon driveshaft another 20. That would offset a good deal of the blower weight. What is the GT350R base weight with a blower?

Farruko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red GT 2016
I’d bet a dollar they are taking the GT350 to make the GT500 and an R model would take light weighting a few steps further than the GT350R. Carbon rotors would shave 80lbs and a carbon driveshaft another 20. That would offset a good deal of the blower weight. What is the GT350R base weight with a blower?
If the GT500R happens to weight less than 4000lb, you can have 1 month of my salary :lol:

scrubber3

Hopper, is that you?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Shadow Black. 2001 Jeep XJ 4x4
If the GT500R happens to weight less than 4000lb, you can have 1 month of my salary :lol:
Locked you in.. I call dibs.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
might as well settle for the $1. bet. ;)

let's say they have to add radio for back up camera. that's around 3700lbs on the 350R. supercharger and coolers maybe 250, so really were at about 3950 right there. now, what's the difference in weight from the DCT and the manual?
could the 500 be using a CGI block? that would save weight and be more robust for those durability issues it was having.
carbon drive shaft. additionally and maybe a couple subframe CFC pieces. depending on that DCT difference. COULD come in just under 4000, but doubtful.
Sponsored