"Venom Kills Demons" - Jim Owens (Ford Performance Marketing Manager)

Discussion in 'Shelby GT500 Mustang' started by NEO Auto, Jan 26, 2018.

1. NEO Auto

NEO Auto Member

First Name:
    NEO
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 Mustang GT
    0   0   0
    The marketing manager for Ford Performance recently made the statement, "Venom Kills Demons". This statement was found in a video uploaded by Jerry Heasley on YouTube.

I think this is a bold statement and is worthy of discussion.
    What do you guys think?

My examination of the comments made:[ame=""]

Jerry Heasley video:[ame=""]

POOPonYOU, GT500TT and machsmith like this.
  2. Nameless

Nameless Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Tedd
    Vehicle(s):
    '13 GT
    0   0   0
    Well... he is the MARKETING Manager, of course he will say that even if it’s not true (that’s what he’s paid for) so I call BS. The GT500 is NOT going against the Demon, since it’s a Hellcat/ZL1 killer. It won’t be as fast as the Demon running straight line, however it will run circles around it.

If someone like Dave Pericak (or whoever is in it’s position right now), or a “Engineering manager” were the one who said that, well.... that would be legit for me. Also... MAYBE Jim mean around corners but I don’t think so.

There is an old adage in Spanish that says “Nadie vende pan frío” which you can literally translate it as “No one sells cold bread” meaning that no one speaks bad about the product they sell, specially if their work consist in saying wonders about it.

Holdfast likes this.
  3. 9secondko

9secondko Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2003 cobra
    0   0   0
    The 500 may just whoop the demon in a straight line.

Perhaps not with the crate assembly package that a demon owner can add. But with the car as delivered? Yeah. I think so.

And there are more than one way to kill it the track for example.

GT500TT and machsmith like this.
  4. Zitrosounds

Zitrosounds Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Harold
    Vehicle(s):
    16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
    0   0   0
    Mighty Bold claim made by Jim. I had a one on one with Jim early in the GT350 days and can tell you he is true to his word. Not going into specifics here as the details are in the 350 Forum. Needles to say is I take Jim at his word.

machsmith likes this.
  5. Farruko

Farruko Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Red GT 2016
    0   0   0
    So, is Jim claiming that the GT500 will be faster than the Demon WITHOUT Drag Radials and WITHOUT Transbrake?

Hahahaha I know as a fact that the GT500 will be a beast, but it definitely WON’T outperform the Demon at the quarter of mile

I’m with you on this one Nameless.

cobra1320 likes this.
  6. Tomster

Tomster Beware of idiots

First Name:
    Tom
    Vehicle(s):
    2 - '17 and 1 - '18 GT350 R's
    0   0   0
    My impressions of the video are that the 500 will be more than what we think so far. All we have at this point is bits and pieces of limited insider information and a teaser video. Now this video pops up and I see a lot of excitement. Of course it is a gathering of biased associates, but nonetheless, I see true excitement and I believe there is more to this. We need more information. NEO, I don't think there is anything solid here that you can make a video about except to maybe comment on it and let people make up thier own minds. So far, every YouTube video on the 500 has been based upon speculation. Although people may want to watch it, if it winds up being wrong, some credibility is lost. The only thing that we have that is official is a teaser video and the above vague video. However I do think that it is promising.

machsmith and GT500TT like this.
  7. machsmith

machsmith Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle(s):
    Honda Minis
    0   0   0
    #7 machsmith, Jan 26, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
    I agree with Tom here. There is more to it than even people with limited inside information have that MAY or MAY NOT be correct.
    Im gonna call BS to a couple things if Jim's (or the PR fella) statements are true. BS to 720HP...it aint happening with that. In fact if this car is 4100lbs its going to need high 700's to run low 10's. A track car that could run with a demon would be crazy. If Jim is correct , its most likely from a roll haha, which is still impressive and would need high 700's. Remember what dodge did with the hellcat? touted 600 +HP and came with 707.

Maybe Jim was just excited and first thing that came to his mind was Demon instead of ZL1. I would think he would go online and say 'sorry guys, I was thinking ZL1 but accidentally said Demon' sorry about that, my bad.'

Notably he said PR told him that 'Venom Kills Demons', so its not really in his words, am I hearing that right?

I do like your vids NEO, nothing wrong with speculation. Keep up the nice work. I've seen how you've gained quite the subscriptions in the last 6 months.
    I hope you get the car your after, and after all your exposure, ford may have your back for an MSRP deal haha!

NEO Auto likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    NEO Auto

NEO Auto Member

First Name:
    NEO
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 Mustang GT
    0   0   0
    Thanks machsmith. I sure hope that Jim meant, "Venom kills Demons" and not "Venom kills ZL1s". When do you guys think the GT500 will be revealed?

I have a feeling we might see it at the New York Auto Show.

Concrete GT, GT500TT and machsmith like this.
  9. 5pointOh

5pointOh Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2019 GT PP1 Ingot Silver "Millennium Falcon" @falcon_s550
    0   0   0
    If any of you guys think Dodge is just going to sit around and leave the Hellcat/Demon untouched for the next 2 years and let Ford get ahead you are crazy...... Dodge already has things in the works for the 19 Hellcat and Demon that will keep it ahead. That is the problem when you are 4 years behind playing catchup(2 years for the Demon). Hopefully its closer to 800 than 700 or they offer some sort of race gas tune from the factory to get that extra bump.

10. UAmach1

UAmach1 Bullitt Hopefull

Vehicle(s):
    Ford/INFINITI
    0   0   0
    Well to point out they may be talking about pump gas. The Demon makes like 724 on pump. Whipple 3gen on a 5.0 will make 775whp. I would not be amazed if the GT500 weighs less than the Demon and dynos at same or similar pump gas numbers. Or could easily be modded to do so. Even if it runs just a 10th or 2 less than a Demon I'm sure it will easily destroy it on a road course.

11. 5pointOh

Vehicle(s):
    0   0   0
    except nobody is taking a Demon on a road course lol. Demon is a drag strip car, full stop. The Hellcats are getting trickle down parts from the Demon so they will be making closer to 800 in 19, with the widebody and dynamics package don't be surprised if the Hellcat puts up a fight. At the end of the day the GT500 will be impressive, but at what cost? You think ADM's are bad on the GT350R.......:paddle:

12. BmacIL

BmacIL Enginerd

Vehicle(s):
    2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
    Garage Profiles:
    Rating:
    100%
    3   0   0
    The guys that actually set the targets for the GT500 don't care about the Demon. It only does one (performance) thing well. It's more, "Good on Dodge for going and doing it, it takes some balls. We have other and bigger things in mind"

13. UAmach1

UAmach1 Bullitt Hopefull

Vehicle(s):
    Ford/INFINITI
    0   0   0
    Yes but they may be saying that it's a "better over all car" than the Demon.

machsmith likes this.
  14. machsmith

machsmith Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle(s):
    Honda Minis
    0   0   0
    'in spades'

Neo, I think we see it 6 months before order banks open, so around april/May.

GT500TT likes this.
  15. cobra1320

cobra1320 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    1995 Cobra
    0   0   0
    Just saw a Utube video of a Demon on the dyno. It made 776 rwhp with race pcm and good gas.

16. 5pointOh

Vehicle(s):
    0   0   0
    Well in my mind the Scat Pack and my GT are better overall cars than the Demon because I have little interest in a car that goes fast only in a straight line.

Nameless likes this.
  17. 1320'

1320' Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2011 Avenger...sadly
    0   0   0
    It's a gutsy statement..hopefully they walk the walk with it..because if they don't..this is gonna come back and bite them again, and again, and again.

machsmith likes this.
  18. ttime500

ttime500 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2016 Corvette Z06
    0   0   0
    Sounds good to me!! I’d love to see a GT500/R that is every bit the performer (or more) as my current Z06. I’m definitely excited for the DCT.

Nameless likes this.
  19. Nameless

Nameless Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Tedd
    Vehicle(s):
    '13 GT
    0   0   0
    If dodge is planning on making a “Power Upgrade” for the Hellcat they better make an even more powerful Demon, since I don’t see SRT letting the Hellcat and Demon overlap in power.

20. J_Maher_AMG

J_Maher_AMG Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Justin
    Vehicle(s):
    2017 GT350R (HR057)
    0   0   0
    Only thing I’d point out is they certainly aren’t going for “bigger things”... or are they forgetting the Demon set the fastest 1/4 time in the world? In the WORLD. Will the GT500 have the fastest track times in the world? Not a chance by a Looooong shot. So while it may be more enthusiast minded and a more enjoyable driving car, certainly not “bigger” in terms of importance to the car world or significance. Give credit where it’s due!

cobra1320, machsmith and GT500TT like this.