Sponsored

Velossatech big mouth ram air

Bull Run

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Prem PP
Effects of intake improvement for turbo cars

Here's a summary of an excellent article on intakes and turbocharging.

For example, if the pressure drop from the IC and piper after the turbo is 4 PSI, and pressure drop from the intake and filer before the turbo is another 2 PSI, the turbo is pressurizing air to 26 PSI to get you 20 PSI of manifold pressure.

Benefits of minimizing pressure drop before the turbo:

– Turbo spends more time in the higher efficiency islands.
– The green line extends further meaning that the turbo will flow more air without over-spinning.
– The turbo spins slower, reduces exhaust back-pressure, increases overall engine efficiency
– Turbo runs cooler at lower pressures.
– Engine is less likely to knock.
– Turbo life is extended.

I looked through my old posts and found some data related to reducing the pre-turbo pressure loss. Readings are from Cobb AP Air Filter Pressure monitor: Pressure inside of the entire intake tract prior to entering the turbo, during WOT.

With cobb drop-in filter: -0.75 PSI at 25.5 PSI of boost
Above + intake side grille honeycomb drilled out: -0.71 PSI at 25.54 PSI
Above + Airaid MIT: -0.34 PSI at little over 24 PSI

I'll log what the Air Filter Pressure monitor shows after the Big Mouth install. Note that above readings are with the stock turbo, and I'm currently running VS2+.
Sponsored

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
With cobb drop-in filter: -0.75 PSI at 25.5 PSI of boost
Above + intake side grille honeycomb drilled out: -0.71 PSI at 25.54 PSI
Above + Airaid MIT: -0.34 PSI at little over 24 PSI

I'll log what the Air Filter Pressure monitor shows after the Big Mouth install. Note that above readings are with the stock turbo, and I'm currently running VS2+.
Ahhh, data! Please post the data!

Bull Run

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Prem PP
Looks like the AP port changed the way it logs Air Filter Pressure monitor after the firmware upgrade. It's no longer accounting for the barometric pressure as it read about same as the barometric pressure, which was 13.89 PSI tonight. There were too many cars around to do a 3rd gear pull but I was able to go WOT for a short time while going up the highway on-ramp.

Maximum boost logged was 25.48 PSI while the car was doing 58.2 MPH. Air Filter Pressure monitor showed 13.7 PSI at that time, or difference of -0.19 PSI. This amounts to about 0.15 PSI improvement. Of course, VS2+ is probably putting extra demands on the intake vs. a stock turbo (estimated gain of around 30HP), so the actual improvement may be greater. I'll attempt a 3rd gear pull when I get a chance.

What'll help is if someone measures the same reading with a stock turbo and without the Big Mouth for a comparison.

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
What'll help is if someone measures the same reading with a stock turbo and without the Big Mouth for a comparison.
Forgive me if I missed this in an earlier post, but what equipment are you using to take your measurements?

Bull Run

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Prem PP
Forgive me if I missed this in an earlier post, but what equipment are you using to take your measurements?
I'm using Cobb Access Port (AP).

I ordered a couple of fog light delete panels. Since the GT upper grille that came with the Big Mouth had its fang honeycombs completely cut out, I'll swap it in during the panel install to see if that makes any measurable difference in the intake pressure.
IMG_3104.JPG

Last edited:

Sponsored

Bull Run

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Prem PP
GT Upper Grille Installed

Installed the GT upper grille that came with the Big Mouth while installing fog light delete panels. Fang honeycombs where already cut out by the previous owner.

28168594408_44d2c7cc02_b.jpg

I spray painted the Big Mouth matte black to make it hard to tell that it's installed. So get a color other than matte black if you want it to stand out.

27171659617_e269af203b_b.jpg

Note that inner part of the fang partially blocks the opening. And just like the stock EB grille, the outer side fits nice and tight but there is some gap on the inner side. There is no wobble or rattle on the highway with either grille.

28168593968_714033d52f_b.jpg

I did a short WOT log and results seem similar to the EB grille with honeycombs drilled out. Perhaps the elimination of honeycombs is offset by the reduction in the opening. I'll see if I can open up the fang opening by cutting or sanding the backside of the fang the next time I have the bumper cover off.

Sponsored

grabber yote

Corn Fed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue 2017 GT PP
I just trimmed my factory GT snorkel to fit with my PMAS intake. Can’t beat free.
99563E96-034F-410C-BCB1-697290341A42.jpeg

Bull Run

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Prem PP
I did a quick WOT run after cleaning the air filter and it didn't make any difference. However, one thing I did notice after swapping to GT upper grille is that with my A/C on during a hot day, my air inlet temperature reads about 5 degrees cooler while cruising. So I stuck my hand behind the fang and while there is a gap between the Big Mouth and the inner portion of the fang opening, there isn't any on the outer portion, which blocks hot air from the condenser area from entering the airbox. I also noticed that the inlet air temperature also goes up more slowly while stopped as well.

Bull Run

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Prem PP
Another thing that I observed was that with the EB grille with or without the Big Mouth, the inlet temperature usually stayed within 0-3 degrees of ambient temperature while cruising with the AC off. It increased to 2-5 degrees with the GT grille.

I checked the tube that goes from the front to the airbox and it wasn't disconnected, so the increase wasn't due to sucking in the engine bay air. As shown in the picture below, my theory is that either the GT grille having solid honeycombs that reduce the airflow to the engine bay and/or the fang blocking some airflow to the Big Mouth is responsible for the inlet temperature increase.

28168594408_44d2c7cc02_b.jpg

I took the bumper cover off to do a bumper bar swap, so I decided to mod the grille to try to improve the Big Mouth at the same time. My plan was to cut some of the lip off of the fang to uncover all of the Big Mouth, and also drill out the solid honeycombs to increase the airflow.

I went too far while trimming the fang lip as it now shows some gap in the upper and lower inner corners. The picture below should give you an idea of how far you can trim before the gap starts showing. Either way, the Big Mouth is now fully uncovered for further testing.

Since the fang's now jacked up and I don't plan on keeping this grille for the long term, I decided to perform a grille delete rather than taking the time to drill out the individual honeycombs.

42417139922_06d84a4dc5_b.jpg

I'll post the results here when I get a chance to do some test runs.

Racerx009

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford mustang gt non pp
Vehicle Showcase
I have to chime in and say I have opened up my grille and still use the stock snorkel. But have a jtl Cai intake and it comes with a box that fits perfectly for the snorkel and blocks the heat from the engine. Which closes tightly against the hood and able to pull or release heat from the box due to the hood vent. My inlet temp runs close to the outside temp and drops lower when driving. I don't know if a big mouth snorkel would make a big difference. But I am getting only outside air not any hot engine air.
Sponsored