Sponsored

Velossatech big mouth ram air

CustomS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EB Mustang
To be honest my setup did not reduce the inlet temps at all from the standard GT grille. Maybe that's not the selling point? With an in fender CAI I was constantly seeing ambient temps as the IAT when in motion. Even at a stand still, the IAT temps did not jump as high as the stock or the Airaid CAI I have now.
Sponsored

Rc18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
6mt-rc-18eb
Vehicle Showcase
To be honest my setup did not reduce the inlet temps at all from the standard GT grille. Maybe that's not the selling point? With an in fender CAI I was constantly seeing ambient temps as the IAT when in motion. Even at a stand still, the IAT temps did not jump as high as the stock or the Airaid CAI I have now.
So much conflicting info on all these cai options:rant:

CustomS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EB Mustang
I know! But I have to mention that there's more to an intake than just the IAT temps. Without having the various options on a dyno back to back it's hard to say which one offers the most power. As far as the sound goes, the Metal tube open air ones are the most loud. I've tried my current Airaid CAI without the lid and there was plenty of noise, too. The only issue with that was the stand still IAT temp rise. However, once moving it came back down fairly quickly.

So much conflicting info on all these cai options:rant:

Rc18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
6mt-rc-18eb
Vehicle Showcase
I know! But I have to mention that there's more to an intake than just the IAT temps. Without having the various options on a dyno back to back it's hard to say which one offers the most power. As far as the sound goes, the Metal tube open air ones are the most loud. I've tried my current Airaid CAI without the lid and there was plenty of noise, too. The only issue with that was the stand still IAT temp rise. However, once moving it came back down fairly quickly.
Agreed, I went airaid mod tube, green reusable air filter in stock box. And soon as it gets here. The velossatech ram air scoop behind an opened up stock gt grille. But after what you said? When the frpp tune is finally available for 18 model ebs. I may not have any qualms about running the open box.:shrug:

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
Ram air might make a difference with a normally aspirated engine--you might see a small increase in manifold pressure, but you'd have to be going fast to see it--but I don't see how it can do anything with a turbocharger. Does anyone have an data to suggest ram air can benefit a turbo installation?

Sponsored

CustomS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EB Mustang
I can't recommend that you run an open box intake if you have the option to use it as a closed box like the Airaid, especially in the summer.

Agreed, I went airaid mod tube, green reusable air filter in stock box. And soon as it gets here. The velossatech ram air scoop behind an opened up stock gt grille. But after what you said? When the frpp tune is finally available for 18 model ebs. I may not have any qualms about running the open box.:shrug:

CustomS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EB Mustang
One of the GT guys actually recorded a video of positive pressure at the top of 4th gear. Pretty cool.

Ram air might make a difference with a normally aspirated engine--you might see a small increase in manifold pressure, but you'd have to be going fast to see it--but I don't see how it can do anything with a turbocharger. Does anyone have an data to suggest ram air can benefit a turbo installation?

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
One of the GT guys actually recorded a video of positive pressure at the top of 4th gear. Pretty cool.
Yeah, I get it for a normally aspirated engine; you're pulling vacuum to suck air into the engine, so ANY positive pressure will add to performance. With a turbo, however, the air coming in that inlet is compressed way beyond any ram air effect, and the wastegate prevents any further boost beyond what the ECU deems appropriate. So how does ram air help?

CustomS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EB Mustang
I got it for the potential reduction in the IAT temps, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Yeah, I get it for a normally aspirated engine; you're pulling vacuum to suck air into the engine, so ANY positive pressure will add to performance. With a turbo, however, the air coming in that inlet is compressed way beyond any ram air effect, and the wastegate prevents any further boost beyond what the ECU deems appropriate. So how does ram air help?

Rc18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
6mt-rc-18eb
Vehicle Showcase
I'm no engineer? But I'd imagine at speed it's actually getting more air into the intake tract quicker? So the turbo doesn't have to work as hard for more air?
I thought it made sense to ad for me, because it helps the system get air from beyond the radiator area and at speed should ad some benefits:shrug:
Maybe I just got sucked(pun there)into it because it looked really cool. Seems like a good idea, I love supporting small businesses(self employed here. And 3d printing is the pre cursor to sci fi replicators:lol:

Sponsored

CustomS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EB Mustang
Looks cool, too.

I'm no engineer? But I'd imagine at speed it's actually getting more air into the intake tract quicker? So the turbo doesn't have to work as hard for more air?
I thought it made sense to ad for me, because it helps the system get air from beyond the radiator area and at speed should ad some benefits:shrug:
Maybe I just got sucked(pun there)into it because it looked really cool. Seems like a good idea, I love supporting small businesses(self employed here. And 3d printing is the pre cursor to sci fi replicators:lol:

VelossaTech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.velossatechdesign.com
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus ST
You bring up a good point and the answer really is the same for both engine types whether forced induction (turbo) or NA.

Both an NA and a turbo engine will produce vacuum to pull in air. The compressor of a turbo engine will respond with a higher inlet pressure by reducing rotor speed of the turbo to attain target massflow (if you have a load targeting tune, which looks to attain a particular load) or, at the same rotor speed (if you have a boost targeting tune), attain a higher massflow. The same inlet pressure increase has an effect on any engine that consumes air, raise the inlet pressure and all the downstream components will respond.

It's just like driving below sea level, it only takes a few hundred feet below sea level for you to feel the car respond to the changes in inlet pressure. Turbo cars that have undersized turbos such as the Ford EB platforms respond better to increases in inlet pressure than say, a big turbo supra would. Since the EB turbos are running so close to max rotor RPM, having an increase in inlet pressure will open up some doors.

Best,

D

Elgyn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 ecoboost, MT, DIB, Premium, PP
You bring up a good point and the answer really is the same for both engine types whether forced induction (turbo) or NA.

Both an NA and a turbo engine will produce vacuum to pull in air. The compressor of a turbo engine will respond with a higher inlet pressure by reducing rotor speed of the turbo to attain target massflow (if you have a load targeting tune, which looks to attain a particular load) or, at the same rotor speed (if you have a boost targeting tune), attain a higher massflow. The same inlet pressure increase has an effect on any engine that consumes air, raise the inlet pressure and all the downstream components will respond.

It's just like driving below sea level, it only takes a few hundred feet below sea level for you to feel the car respond to the changes in inlet pressure. Turbo cars that have undersized turbos such as the Ford EB platforms respond better to increases in inlet pressure than say, a big turbo supra would. Since the EB turbos are running so close to max rotor RPM, having an increase in inlet pressure will open up some doors.

Best,

D
In other words with the ram air effect, the turbo doesn't have to work as hard to make its target pressure...

...there's a bunch of maths involved with that statement that I'm not going to get into:hitcomputer:

OP
OP

emericA243

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecobeast PP

Best,

D

Sorry, but if you have the MMD grille, do you choose Stock GT or RTR grille on your website when purchasing? Are the designs slightly different for those two applications or is that just more for a confirmation that the buyer knows they only work with those two?

VelossaTech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.velossatechdesign.com
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus ST
Sorry, but if you have the MMD grille, do you choose Stock GT or RTR grille on your website when purchasing? Are the designs slightly different for those two applications or is that just more for a confirmation that the buyer knows they only work with those two?
No problem, about 6 months ago we made the big mouth universal to RTR and MMD and cervinis etc..

you can choose GT grille on the drop down menu :)

Best

D
Sponsored