Reaction score
Website
www.velossatechdesign.com
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus ST
Hello everyone.

For those who were part of development, this is the original thread of our ram inlet.

IF YOU ARE NOT A FORUM MEMBER JUST SHOOT US AN EMAIL AT [email protected] AND ADD YOUR NAME TO THE LIST

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39043

We are dedicated custodians of airflow management across 3 ford platforms now.

Known for the BIG MOUTH ram inlet on the Focus ST and Fiesta ST, the S550 Mustang can now enjoy a direct shot of air right where it counts.

Product images and development.

:ford:

OLD PRICING HAS BEEN REPLACED WITH NEW PRICING.

10 participants: 8% off
15 participants: 8% off and free shipping
20 participants 10% off and free shipping

1. Gibbo205 - color?
2. road dog - black
3. coaster - color?
4. GTP - black
5. royalguard - black
6. 96 blowncobra - blue
7. souldriver - black
8. mikeg4572 - black
9. evo8904 - blue
10. jed katz - facebook - color?
-----8% applied------
11. kristain lame - facebook - blue
12. Rhinogt
13. the game - black
Sponsored

Last edited:

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
Any proven results with the use of it? Anything on paper?
this, because whats the difference compared to a grill delete or dremeling out the holes completely. the oem mounts is right there at the bumper to get in air too...soooo...not hating, just curious.

pinero61

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Ruby Red Base GT PP
Curious about results...

OP
OP
VelossaTech

VelossaTech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus ST
this, because whats the difference compared to a grill delete or dremeling out the holes completely. the oem mounts is right there at the bumper to get in air too...soooo...not hating, just curious.
Hi!! I understand your concern. Drilling out the hex flats although helpful, is not really going to produce the ram effect. The reason is, to produce any net positive pressure in the airbox, or to reduce vacuum work, the air must remain at high speed through the inlet path.

Drilling out the hex flats on the stock system does not change the physical geometry in that cavity. The geometry in that space has a few issues that were probably put there by ford for manufacturing efficiency, not aerodynamics.

1. The stock inlet is blocked, when looking at the front of the car head on, you will see that the stock inlet doesnt have a straight frontal shot of air, the grill rib is blocking it, and unless you completely remove the grill, you will be losing your stagnation pressure there.

2. Removing the hex flats can help, but the air still has to abruptly change direction to enter the stock inlet path. Instead of the air stangating in the airbox, it will stagnate in the stock grill cavity, which means the air will slow down, and then speed up again. This is where efficiency is lost, your engine has to produce vacuum to get the air back into the path.

3. The stock shroud that surrounds the perimeter of the stock inlet, is floppy plastic.
3a. Floppy plastic may collapse under high vacuum from higher horsepower cars.
3b. The floppy plastic doesnt create a seal against your radiator, at low speed you may see radiator backwash which is hot air, go back into your intake path which can produce inconsistent power.

4. Flow guidance is essential to the ram effect, you need to keep the air moving fast all the way until it hits your engine. This is fluid momentum that is useful. A lot of OEMs use this method on higher end cars. If they don't use the method, it's usually due to manufacturing or logistics decisions.

5. The BIG MOUTH has aspiration ports, it makes almost a perfect seal against the stock inlet, but it has standoffs on the bellmouth to allow higher horsepower cars to breathe when moving at low speed before the ram effect takes place at high speed.

We have data we are currently collecting and compiling. It is not easy to collect this data since the car needs to be moving at high speed and datalogs need to be done multiple times which can be dangerous. We don't want to endanger other people by doing this so we look for controlled environments for logging.

So far on our Fiesta ST platform (yes i know its a different car but bare with me) we have seen an increase in 0.7 lbm/min of airflow (which equates to about 7 hp) in 3rd and 4th gear using our BIG MOUTH line of ram intake. The S550 intake has the same design and engineering methodology invested in it and am expecting similar results.

Since we dont have a wind tunnel or a moving dyno, obtaining actual power figures is nearly impossible. We can obtain ariflow figures which is a great way to correlate the increase in power since more air = more power.

I hope this helps answer some questions you may have.

Best,

- D

Sponsored

OP
OP
VelossaTech

VelossaTech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus ST
When does the group buy pricing close?
I will let it run over the weekend. Say monday next week and I will post up the promo code for the participants.

The Game

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Garrett
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I will let it run over the weekend. Say monday next week and I will post up the promo code for the participants.
Can you put me on the list for a black one?

Sponsored

The Game

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Garrett
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Status
Not open for further replies.