Sponsored

Velossa Tech BIG MOUTH for 2018+ Mustangs?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

VelossaTech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.velossatechdesign.com
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus ST
Hey everyone! I know it has been a LONG time since I posted. But I have some good news. The overwhelming consensus is that we should make a BIG MOUTH ram duct for the 2018+ Mustangs, so that's what we're gonna do!

I just wanted to let you guys know that you'll be seeing this in the very near future, of course, I will probably launch it with a group buy right here on this forum so everyone can enjoy it at an initial low cost to you guys :)

Pictures below for those of you who are not sure what the product is or what it does. The BIG MOUTH fits between the grille and the OEM cowl port, this junction is a critical flow stream for air. A lot of unwanted turbulence, radiator backwash and pressure drop can be found here and keeping the air moving fast and remaining at high pressure is a great way to pick up some top end and lower your inlet temps! Note that the passenger side duct is for aesthetics only :)

Mustang-S500-Intake-Red-Final_zpsstqm7lkd.jpg

Mustang-S500-Dual-Intake-Red_zpsohkt9zyx.jpg

20180407_112117_zpsleb5h4rg.png

IMG-20171123-WA0006_zpslmnqrqm2.jpg

26654809_10214012882332128_993393198_o_zps3k0byfnh.jpg

IMG_4280_zpsxmikcpjd.jpg

IMG_20170822_234844_925_zpsj6kd5sgq.jpg

20171106_070932_zpsv9xulqhs.png

IMG-20170521-WA0000_zpsixpydflw.jpg

Color-Palette-2019_zpsm0p2zukf.png

Of course, we offer 28 different colors (plus glow in the dark) for those of you who dare to be bold.

Thanks!

Dan @ VT
Sponsored

cozmo2312

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Velocity Blue GT (current) 2017 Ruby Red GT350 (past)
is this just a ram air tube for an open air box?

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Count me in :like:

Couple of questions though ...

Does one of those greens match grabber lime ?

Please can the group buy include UK members ?

Cheers,

WD :like:

BlueThunder

***ding Rookie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Silver Mustang PP1 Manual (former 2015 GT Auto)
How much of a design difference is there between these and the previous 15-17 generation? I have the old generation in my 18 and it took some finagling and modification to get them in there properly.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Holy hell, yes, I'm in 100%. I had red dual ducts in my '16, and was looking forward to some orange ducts for my '19, but discovered the passenger side fitment was an issue.

In addition to looking awesome, these (well, the driver's side) significantly help to reduce IATs!

Sponsored

TRPCANA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang GT
Ok so this doesnt add up, about a year ago i purchased from your website a velossatech that was advertised as 2018 and up already. I still have the email confirmation that clearly states, 2015-2019 big mouth, soo what gives? I havent installed the thing yet so perhaps theres some install thing that made it harder on the gen 3 models so idk. Also i do have a question, i cant find the article off hand but i read about these actually degrading performance due to creating turbulent air going to the factory box, and that ford designed the ducting deliberately to break up this turbulence. The only plus side i really see here is at idle not taking in hot air from the radiator area, unless im seeing things all wrong here?

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
9e9.gif

is this just a ram air tube for an open air box?
The driver's side fits directly into the OEM intake snorkel, and isolate the air flow externally to the outside of the grill. The passenger side is more or less for aesthetics, so it looks symmetric.

Ok so this doesnt add up, about a year ago i purchased from your website a velossatech that was advertised as 2018 and up already. I still have the email confirmation that clearly states, 2015-2019 big mouth, soo what gives? I havent installed the thing yet so perhaps theres some install thing that made it harder on the gen 3 models so idk.
If you bought the driver's side / single intake only, it should work as designed, with a MT18+ car ...

TRPCANA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang GT
The car was a 18 GT, i had bought both sides. I understand your saying it should work, im asking why is velossatech releasing a specific version all of a sudden if the previous product was also for 2018 and up. As well as my other question about turbulent airflow.

OP
OP
VelossaTech

VelossaTech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.velossatechdesign.com
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus ST
The car was a 18 GT, i had bought both sides. I understand your saying it should work, im asking why is velossatech releasing a specific version all of a sudden if the previous product was also for 2018 and up. As well as my other question about turbulent airflow.
Hello. The 15-17 big mouth drivers side only does fit the 18s but the passenger side takes a bit of ingenuity to get it to fit. A lot of people with 18s have fit the 15-17 kits but I would rather do it the right way and have a kit designed specifically for the 18s. I cant say how different they will be, the 18s kit might be nearly the same as the 17s kit with only minor changes (we still havent had an 18 come in here yet for 3D scanning of the structure), or the kits may be vastly different, I just dont know yet. As for the turbulence, you never want turbulence. Turbulence in a flow path is always to be avoided when trying to keep total pressure high which is what we are trying to do. Total pressure = static pressure (pressure at rest) + dynamic pressure (airflow moving at velocity). When you add turbulence, you reduce the momentum energy of the flow path because the turbulence removes some of the available kinetic energy from the flow path and this is dynamic pressure robbing. I am not sure what Fords intent was but it couldnt have been in this specific area of question, this type of ducting is seen usually, in supercars and hypercars where inlets are to be as smooth and short as possible. Having turbulence is usually only beneficial when mixing of two fluids is a higher priority than pressure drop. Oops forgot to add, what I had mentioned is not to be confused with laminar flow vs turbulent flow. When I saw turbulence, I mean macro turbulence, not turbulent flow. All flow in for a car engine is turbulent flow (this is when Reynolds number is greater than 4000). Macro turbulence are things like flow separation in a flow path where there are step changes (step up or step down), stagnation zones (direction change too high) or eddys (as a result of steps in a flow path), those are what I refer to as 'turbulence'.

I hope this helps.

chesster51

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Vehicle Showcase
Will this also work on the Bullitt grill, which does not have the fangs?

Sponsored

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
It works rather good with the driver side 15-17 version for the 18+ GT :D

The results are on a export model with GPF filters (down 40nm compared to a US counterpart)

Last edited:

Guid.oh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Didn’t want to buy a 15-17 kit and be disappointed it wouldn't fit, but will there be an 18+ kit that fits the newer style RTR grilles?
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.