V8 Mustang prototype spied (video)....but what is it?

Discussion in 'Mustang S550 General Forums' started by Twin Turbo, Apr 18, 2019.

1. Notagain

Notagain Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    yellow 2016 5.0 totaled white 2018 A10 now
    0   0   0
    The pieces are there the last Mach1 had same engine as the Cobra minus the blower.

I agree 100% a 520hp NA CPC 5.2 with an A10 the 2018+ front end obviously and Ill take mine with mag ride and a digital dash.

Ohh make it Azure Blue too!

Twin Turbo likes this.
  2. Hi-PO Stang

Hi-PO Stang Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2014 Shelby GT500
    0   0   0
    I am thinking it is 2021 GT350 R Plus.

3. Arthonon

Arthonon Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 Mustang GT
    0   0   0
    Yeah, I want that - very nice looking!

Twin Turbo likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    Twin Turbo

Twin Turbo Super Moderator

First Name:
    Paul
    Vehicle(s):
    Mustang '05 GT
    0   0   0
    Once again, this won't be anything GT350/500 related. The use of the '18+ headlamps confirm that. The '20 GT500 uses the front end architecture (especially the carbon radiator support) of the GT350, which meant the use of the "old" headlamps.

Whilst I'd love this to be a Mach 1, I do think this is likely to be more focused on the drag strip. Why? Mustang360.com (Mustang Monthly/Muscle Mustangs & Fast Ford mags) have now given the same hint twice. First was on their video of the first drives (in torrential rain) of the PP2.....they concluded by saying (and I'll paraphrase) "All Ford needs now is a trim level for the drag racer.....all the parts are available"......and then most recently, on the 17th April, Evan Smith (motoring journalist for the those titles) posted this on Facebook, following the announcement of the Ecoboost High Performance option "Now all Ford needs is a basic drag race-themed V8 package to compete with the Dodge 1320".

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but I wonder if the Ford reps at the PP2 event gave a few hints.....

w3rkn and Bullitt like this.
  5. jake_zx2

jake_zx2 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Kona Blue 2018 GT
    Garage Profiles:
    0   0   0
    HA. HAHA. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Idiot :lol:

Who gives a flying fuck about a small no-name forum? Google couldn't even tell me what "yellow bullet" is.

Bottom line is, road racing cars are what sell now. The only reason the Challengers sell as well as they do is because they're pretty much the only option for a factory drag car, and that's because Dodge can't make the outdated platform perform on a road course as well as the competiton. But if you want to bring sales into it, PLEASE look at the sales of BMW M cars... bet they sell more than your pathetic little Hellkitten

Also, this is probably the most idiotic fucking statement I've ever heard from you, and that's saying something, because you say some REAL dumb shit. Sorry you either A. Don't know what a race track is, or B. Can't afford to go to one. You can keep your Toyota Corolla to go putting around town, give me the fast track cars

DrGrabster likes this.
  6. MaskedRacerX

MaskedRacerX Driver

First Name:
    DT
    Vehicle(s):
    '16 GT Vert, GTPP, Shadow Black w/ Redline
    Rating:
    100%
    2   0   0
    I guess the thing that seems odd, is a wider __front__ fender treatment on a drag focused car[?] I guess they could be doing that just for some visual difference, but that seems more "all around performance" type design. It's neat that there may finally be a wider S550.2 since all the special models (GT350, GT500) have used the first gen front end.

Maybe the GT350 (in the form we now know it) is getting dropped for MY20, and this is a 5.2CPC replacement car, a PP3 so to speak, wider fenders, big wing, S550.2 based, cheaper to make, distributes some 5.2 cost across a less limited product.

7. Mikthehun1

Mikthehun1 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Mik
    Vehicle(s):
    19 GT a10
    Photography
    Rating:
    100%
    1   0   0
    Well, BMW keeps adding trim levels with M badging...the "m440i" especially cracks me up.

8. jake_zx2

Vehicle(s):
    Kona Blue 2018 GT
    Garage Profiles:
    0   0   0
    I mean, if you're tired of the weight and creature comforts, why not just get rid of all the comfort related stuff? That's probably a cheaper and easier option

Lol I'm mostly talking about the REAL M cars... The "M but not really M' cars give me a good chuckle, too... reminds me of the "Shelby GT" from the late 2000s

Mikthehun1 likes this.
  9. Fatguy

Fatguy Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2017 V6 Mustang
    0   0   0

So maybe the ghost of Brian Wolfe still haunts the hallowed halls of Ford HQ. ..

10. OP
    OP
    Twin Turbo

Twin Turbo Super Moderator

First Name:
    Paul
    Vehicle(s):
    Mustang '05 GT
    0   0   0
    I agree, if that is a wider front fender (it certainly looks like it) it would indicate some big meats up front, too, which somewhat goes against the "drag car" vibe.

It wouldn't surprise me to see the GT350 dropped for '20MY........and a "PP3" with a n/a 5.2CPC would be great. If they don't call in Mach 1, I think Ford will be missing a great opportunity, although I'm sure it'd sell anyway.

Whilst I still think any new SE would be "drag focused", I think the days of a full production car being purely focused on one aspect of performance are gone. People want/expect a car to be able to do it all (like the new GT500). I think "drag focused" would concentrate on the suspension....tuning the MagneRide to ensure the best launch possible......but any new S550 should also be extremely capable on the road course and the street :)

11. Birddogjr350

Birddogjr350 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    james
    Vehicle(s):
    2006 Ford F150 FX4
    0   0   0
  12. Erik427

Erik427 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    1979 Mustang
    0   0   0
    Please show everybody a road course where you can track your :Track Car" every weekend?
    As for the Coyote........? The cost of that motor rises more than four times over a LS or LT and is twice the price of a all aftermarket SBF.
    Just got done having this same conversation on another site.
    Honestly, "Keep it Simple Stupid" goes right over your head.
    Not going to waste my time listing the faults of the Coyote again......

All I'm going to say is that if Ford ever does install a motor based off of the Coyote?
    All major players/Racers will abandon the Coyote in droves.

As for your BMW comments.......
    Ever heard about the effects of a halo car or trim option?
    Works real good when the car or trim option is what people want.
    This is why the Challenger is selling so much better now days.....even on a very dated and bloated chassis.

Mach 1 with a 7.3 and a A-10 would sell like crazy!

13. Notagain

Vehicle(s):
    0   0   0
    Im not talking about gutting the car but they certianly weigh too much now.

14. jake_zx2

Vehicle(s):
    Kona Blue 2018 GT
    Garage Profiles:
    0   0   0
    Here ya go, go look for yourself bud
    https://www.motorsportreg.com/

The rest is just incoherent rambling, as is usually the case with you. I figured I'd at least respond to the one portion of your idiotic rabling where my response could actually help some people. So, for anyone looking to do more track days, but not sure where to start, check out this website! It'll give you a list of HPDE, AutoX, TT, and other events and you can actually use the website to register for all of them!

Mikthehun1 likes this.
  15. jake_zx2

Vehicle(s):
    Kona Blue 2018 GT
    Garage Profiles:
    0   0   0
    Really, they aren't too far off your desired figure for what they offer. I'll gladly take the 300lb gain for better suspension geometry, chassis dynamics, and amenities. If that's not your style, I'm sure you could find 300lbs to pull out of it to get close to the weight you want

16. LSchicago

LSchicago Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Lloyd
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
    Business owner
    0   0   0
    I didn't see the large red kill button on the dash, so it could've been a Roush or something.

17. LFSoccer2k6

LFSoccer2k6 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Mustang GT Premium Velocity Blue
    0   0   0
    My favorite thing I noticed was in the lat video, when you see the turn signal, as it was illuminated white and not amber. I wonder if it is a switchback...would be sick!

18. jake_zx2

Vehicle(s):
    Kona Blue 2018 GT
    Garage Profiles:
    0   0   0
    I doubt it, but I got a buddy who's an insider at Roush... maybe he can answer that for me...

19. MaskedRacerX

MaskedRacerX Driver

First Name:
    DT
    Vehicle(s):
    '16 GT Vert, GTPP, Shadow Black w/ Redline
    Rating:
    100%
    2   0   0
    Holy smokes, right? Even outside of hardcore muscle car/Mustang enthusiasts the Mach I name is pretty well known.

Oh Geez, I wasn't even thinking about the recent announcement ... Ecoboost High Performance ... I think if this is some kind of 5.2 based model, it's doomed to the stunningly, mediocre name of: GT High Performance <meh_face>

Notagain likes this.
  20. Notagain

Vehicle(s):
    0   0   0
    You talking about the "awful" Coyote that is outselling the Challenger and Camaro pretty handily?

Please explain how a heavy boat anchor 7.3 would be a better option than a 5.0 with ANY kind of boost.

Considering the aftermarket for the 5.0 coyote is gigantic and people are running 9s on stock engines clearly you are missing the picture here.

7.3 in a mustang will never happen especially from a company that pushes ecoboost engines and just killed nearly all its cars.

You my friend appear to be living in lalaland.

Mikthehun1 and jake_zx2 like this.