Sponsored

V8 Mustang prototype spied (video)....but what is it?

JJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350, trans am ws6, G80
Here is an idea. The gt350 and gt500 are US market only and don’t compete against the bmw m4 and Merc 63 coupe.
The my18 is properly designed for export markets. Could this be a performance variation that is designed from day 1 to be world exportable. Maybe not as fast as a gt500, but more akin to a gt350? Maybe the next gt350
Well it isn't US marker only, we have them here in the middle east No ADMs too :)
Sponsored

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
This guy got 4 videos of a prototype wearing manufacturer plates. He asks if it's a GT500, but I don't think so as it's got the '18+ headlamps. Hard to tell, but it looks like it's got a quad exhaust.....and a big rear spoiler! Pity he had his windows up so there's lots of background noise, so impossible to tell if it's a V8......

Oh...d'oh! Edited to add.... asked the OP if it was a V8....he said it was......

: pleasebeamach1 : :idea:

3k5MNqfXjkbnUzi19dJHEcWk622_71FrekDpEF8sMVroXUJ4oY13r0CaP7qv1uYJRVf1CdRyw&_nc_ht=scontent-lht6-1.jpg

Mach 1 with a 5.2 CPC.......?

History say that the Mach 1 was never really a road course (Track Car).
Flared fenders and rear spoiler says this is something else.
Or maybe Ford abandoned tradition?

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Mach 1 with a 5.2 CPC.......?

History say that the Mach 1 was never really a road course (Track Car).
Flared fenders and rear spoiler says this is something else.
Or maybe Ford abandoned tradition?
The GT500 was also historically more of a drag-focused car, but the new one was completely built with road course use in mind. People just don't want drag cars anymore, they're boring

WILDB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT convertible Oxford White
Euro spec mirrors, reflectors in the rear bumper instead of side markers, Euro reverse/rear fog light.

They probably were Euro tail lights too - hard to tell at night when they are lit up.

I'd say it's some sort of high performance model for export markets.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Euro spec mirrors, reflectors in the rear bumper instead of side markers, Euro reverse/rear fog light.

They probably were Euro tail lights too - hard to tell at night when they are lit up.

Those aren't the Euro mirrors, and all 2018+ models have the rear bumper reflectors. This only thing that points to this being a euro model would be the rear fog light, and since it has US mirrors, it could be a toss up

Sponsored

RAUSP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rudolf
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350

Euro Mirrors? Never ever. Here you see those ugly Bathroom Mirrors the poor guys in Europe need to suffer from.
Bildschirmfoto 2019-04-21 um 18.48.29.png

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
The GT500 was also historically more of a drag-focused car, but the new one was completely built with road course use in mind. People just don't want drag cars anymore, they're boring
Tell that to the HUGE response over on Yellow Bullet.
The GT500 is pretty much laughed at along with anything else that is track focused.

Same response over at Competition Plus.....

Face Book.........

Bunch of others.......

Only a few and mainly on this site.
There is a much larger market than you think.
A strong hint is how everybody goes to discussing ET times and trap speeds.

What has gotten old is buying a car for a purpose it can never be used for.
Unless you condone street racing.

A street version of the Cobra Jet would sell like mad.
Look what the Hellcat, Demon, Redeye and 1320 is doing for the Challenger.

obgod3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT, PP1, 401A, A10
Ive been chasing mustangs for 20 years....meaning never knowing which one to buy....I can afford any of them but the point is chasing a future model is inevitably futile...I know...I did it....finally just decide the perfect car was never going to happen....but it was good enough...my last mustang was a 89 LX 5.0......now a 19 GT that I totally dig.......end of the day chase what you want but the chase never ends.....

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
You guys are being Punked by FOMOCO engineers. It's a spoof. And they are lurking the Mustang sites laughing their asses off. j/k. Would be cool if it hits production.
HaHaHa.jpg

Boss Bandit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT (Lightning Blue), 1998 Camaro SS
If history does indeed rhyme, when Ford did the first Bullitt in 2001, they followed it up with both the Terminator Cobra and the Mach 1 in order to maintain interest in the outgoing SN-95/New Edge before the S197 debuted, so there is precedent. Mach 1 might be the perfect special edition to spice up a chassis that may have to live much longer than they originally intended. Since Bullitt is only sticking around for MY 2019 and 2020, it could stand to reason they may be preparing another special edition to keep the S550 interesting for a long time to come.

But people are pointing to the bigger front fenders, big wing, and big splitter. These are all track-focused details, and Mach 1 has always been the traditional street cruiser that was the most "muscle car" out of all the old Mustang nameplates. So, I'm thinking this is either an updated Performance Package that borrows some aero knowledge from the GT500, or this may be something along the lines of a Boss 302 if they're doing a special edition. I actually think that the PP Level 2 could have inherited the Boss 302 name since they share the same mission, but I suppose from Ford's standpoint having too many special edition name plates/ performance variants may be counterproductive (EcoBoost PP and Hi-Po, GT/CS, Bullitt, GT350/R, GT500, and two different levels of Performance Package for the GT make for a pretty stacked lineup for MY 2020 already).

I think one point that may strike against this being a Mach 1 is the hood situation. People have come to associate the Shaker hood with Mach 1s, but I think that'll look awkward on these cars because of the massive size of the hood, as well as the more swoopy lines of the 2018+ refresh probably not lending itself well to such a retro design element. I'd be interested to see what they'd come up with to fill in this gimmick. Would it be a straight up old school Shaker hood like what we got in 03/04 (and what we see on current Challengers), or would it be a more modernized version ala the Camaro ZL1/Corvette ZR1? I don't think just blacking out the stock hood would be enough to get anybody excited. It'd be a huge letdown without some unique Mach 1 specific hood treatment being included with the package.

Notagain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yellow 2016 5.0 totaled white 2018 A10 now
I have a better one for you, a dead '03 Terminator. Rip out the boat anchor in the front (yes I know that's heresy), put in an NA Aluminator XS 52 in it. Cage and brace it for rigidity so it's not a noodle. Big brake kit. 3400lbs and 580 NA horsepower with those looks? I'll take it.

Hell yes!! After having my 16 A6 and my 18 A10.

I hate to admit im starting to get bored. The cars too heavy, too many comforts to make an attempt to be a jack of all trades.

Ive thought of the exact same you just posted. The new engines and transmissions are amazing but the damn cars are too heavy!

Give me a SN95 with a 580hp NA engine amd a 10 speed. Let me blast through all the gears and let the engine scream to 8k with out having to care 1 bit about extra coolers and radiators heat exchangers and weight.

Simple. Light. Drama free. 580hp 8k rpm 10 speed greatness and it would be an absolute riot with some 3.73 or 4.10 gears too.
Sponsored

Reactions: lew