Sponsored

V6 vs GT MT

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
Testdrove V6 MT and GT MT Performance Pack.

Speaking of engines, you are right, 5.0 feels just like the more powerful version of 3.7 . Might be subjective but I felt like V6 was happier/eager to rev to red line, while GT wanted me to shift earlier.

Shifter could have some more accuracy especially around 5 and 6 gear, but that is a matter of getting used to it.

Clutch. Clutch made me a little concerned. I couldn't make smooth shift from 1st to 2nd without really trying as pedal travel is a bit too long and my leg was in the air fighting its own gravity, lateral Gs and trying to make the shift smooth at the same time. I know it's the same in both cars, but it felt worse in V6. Both cars didn't have floor mats and V6 floor was still covered in plastic. Maybe that's why it felt worse.

Random thoughts deciding between the two:
- v6 really has enough power for me.
- both engines sound different, but nice
- I have noone to race with that V8
- can I handle V8 sound for hours during long trip?
- does V8 even need gearbox with this many gears?
- v8 felt nose heavy versus V6.
- I did not feel like performance pack made any real diff between the two.
- V6 has depressing just black interior with no other options.
- if I'll hate that clutch, I better suffer with more horsepower (v8)
- overall Mustang might be better served with AT

Stoll hasn't decided, but I definitely did not like plain black cloth V6 interior and sounds like there's no other option.
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

Speaking of engines, you are right, 5.0 feels just like the more powerful version of 3.7 . Might be subjective but I felt like V6 was happier/eager to rev to red line, while GT wanted me to shift earlier.

Shifter could have some more accuracy especially around 5 and 6 gear, but that is a matter of getting used to it.

Clutch. Clutch made me a little concerned. I couldn't make smooth shift from 1st to 2nd without really trying as pedal travel is a bit too long and my leg was in the air fighting its own gravity, lateral Gs and trying to make the shift smooth at the same time. I know it's the same in both cars, but it felt worse in V6. Both cars didn't have floor mats and V6 floor was still covered in plastic. Maybe that's why it felt worse.

- can I handle V8 sound for hours during long trip? You barely even hear it with the stock exhaust. It's an amazingly quiet and comfortable GT car in the true sense of the acronym
- does V8 even need gearbox with this many gears? It's better off having them. You can always skip shift (I do frequently for daily use). It loves to rev and the way the GT goes from 70 mph to arrest-me speeds is intoxicating and far more impressive than 0-60
- I did not feel like performance pack made any real diff between the two. Sorry to say this, but you obviously didn't push it much (hard to do on test drives)...they are quite in different leagues for handling
- if I'll hate that clutch, I better suffer with more horsepower (v8) Extremely easily remedied by removing the clutch assist spring or replacing with the $15 Steeda one...with either of those the clutch is linear, and the bite point is easy to feel. I too, struggled with the 1-2 shift as a veteran manual driver before removing the stock assist spring

Stoll hasn't decided, but I definitely did not like plain black cloth V6 interior and sounds like there's no other option.
See my comments in bold.

OP
OP
accel

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
See my comments in bold.
My note on V8 and number of gears was rather sarcastic.

Nice to know the clutch can be improved.

In bmw I had to remove clutch delay valve...

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT Premium 401a
Like Bmac said you can barely hear the V8 with the stock exhaust. It's as quiet as most V6 sedans on the market which is why most of us go to aftermarket exhaust. If you want the premium interior you will need to go with an ecoboost or GT, however you can buy leather seat covers and the Sync 3 later if you those options in the V6. Also, the GT should feel a good bit faster, it might be tough to tell on a test drive because the V8 makes a lot of its power up top but it's a 135HP and 120 ft/lbs difference. The handing and braking should be significantly better, the PP GT has 15in Brembos up front. You can't really go wrong with either car, it just depends on what you're looking for.

moto111

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
another v6 or gt thread this should go well.....

Sponsored

RedRyan98

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
If you were to get the V6, a lot of the GT performance and interior parts can be swapped in relatively easily. I went for a $250 tomtop head unit and will be picking up the silver dash to dress up the interior. Besides that I'm very okay with the V6 interior and actually prefer the base cloth seats to the leathers. for 2-3 grand you could install a sync 3 radio and leather seats if you wanted to.

I added a Gt exhaust to my V6 for $150 and it sounds really good to my ears.

I must be in the minority of folks who have no problem with the stock clutch. It feels linear and plenty communicative to me and did not take long for me to adapt to it. That said, for $15 I'll pick up the steeda spring at some point since it gets such rave reviews.

Get the GT if you want the added performance and luxuries from the factory. Or save 10-15 grand, get the V6 and have fun modding it

scrubber3

Hopper, is that you?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Shadow Black. 2001 Jeep XJ 4x4
Just ordered the spring. I knew something good would come from this!

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black

- can I handle V8 sound for hours during long trip?
- does V8 even need gearbox with this many gears?
- I did not feel like performance pack made any real diff between the two.
- if I'll hate that clutch, I better suffer with more horsepower (v8)

Someone probably already replied this, but you can swap out or remove the assist spring for the clutch in 60 seconds for $15 and make it feel normal. The stock V8 exhaust isn't the least bit loud. If you really find it too loud there is literally no solution..LOL. No offense.. The performance pack suspension is a blast but if you have no interest in curves then you probably shouldn't bother, and the short shifting in the GT is because of the 3.73 gear ratio in the performance package.

Overall if you really have no care for loudness and no inferiority complex or fundamental opposition to a RWD sportscar without a V8, then get the V6 and enjoy.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Sounds like you've already made up your mind. V6 will make a nice daily driver.

Stormtrooper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
The MT82 not the best of transmissions. The shifts are not smooth at all (especially 1st to 2nd), but in my opinion its what I love about the car. I like the roughness of it...it gives the car a bit of character imo. But that is all subjective.

Also the location of the clutch is so badly placed in the s550’s, they are too far back compared to where the gas pedal is. I used to always have to sit so close to the steering wheel and it made going in and out of the car a nightmare, I thought I was going to get a hernia or something. A clutch pedal extender ($50) completely cured that and it made a world of difference, I can now comfortably sit more back. Even tall people reported needing this.

You should also look into getting a clutch spring assist ($20) to make the clutch a little less resistant and feel more like an old school clutch.

Although if you were going to get an AT, you could wait for the 2018s which should be coming later this year and get a new one with the 10 speed, but there will be no V6 so you can go GT. Personally I think if you are going to get a V6, you should get it in manual, it makes it so damn fun to drive. But since you are in the bay area im guessing you go to SF a lot and those hills may not be fun lol. Im in Sacramento so its all flat here haha.

You should go test drive some more, get some time inside both cars.

Sponsored

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
engine sound is dependent on the frequency of the pulses of the exhaust valves opening...

on a 90 deg. V-8 you will have a higher frequency than on a 120 deg. V-6. It gets even nastier when you get into asymmetrical firing engines like the 90 deg. V-10 in the Viper or one of GMs old 90 deg. V-6s.

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT Premium 401a
If you were to get the V6, a lot of the GT performance and interior parts can be swapped in relatively easily. I went for a $250 tomtop head unit and will be picking up the silver dash to dress up the interior. Besides that I'm very okay with the V6 interior and actually prefer the base cloth seats to the leathers. for 2-3 grand you could install a sync 3 radio and leather seats if you wanted to.

I added a Gt exhaust to my V6 for $150 and it sounds really good to my ears.

I must be in the minority of folks who have no problem with the stock clutch. It feels linear and plenty communicative to me and did not take long for me to adapt to it. That said, for $15 I'll pick up the steeda spring at some point since it gets such rave reviews.

Get the GT if you want the added performance and luxuries from the factory. Or save 10-15 grand, get the V6 and have fun modding it
A lot of the GT350 stuff as well. I have the Gt350R springs, steering wheel, strut tower brace, soon to have the track pack spoiler which will all work on the V6 and most of it is reasonably priced.

OP
OP
accel

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
The MT82 not the best of transmissions. The shifts are not smooth at all (especially 1st to 2nd), but in my opinion its what I love about the car. I like the roughness of it...it gives the car a bit of character imo. But that is all subjective.

Also the location of the clutch is so badly placed in the s550’s, they are too far back compared to where the gas pedal is. I used to always have to sit so close to the steering wheel and it made going in and out of the car a nightmare, I thought I was going to get a hernia or something. A clutch pedal extender ($50) completely cured that and it made a world of difference, I can now comfortably sit more back. Even tall people reported needing this.

You should also look into getting a clutch spring assist ($20) to make the clutch a little less resistant and feel more like an old school clutch.

Although if you were going to get an AT, you could wait for the 2018s which should be coming later this year and get a new one with the 10 speed, but there will be no V6 so you can go GT. Personally I think if you are going to get a V6, you should get it in manual, it makes it so damn fun to drive. But since you are in the bay area im guessing you go to SF a lot and those hills may not be fun lol. Im in Sacramento so its all flat here haha.

You should go test drive some more, get some time inside both cars.
Yes... will need more testdrives. I am going to bring my wife to the next testdrive for a second opinion. Plus I expect her to drive the car once in a while.

SF hills do not scare mee at all. Whenever we have visitors I take them to Divisadero for the fun and views of driving over hills :)

As a matter of fact I liked Mustang having not "hill assist" feature that many modern MT cars have. I do much better without one.

Yes. Definitely I haven't made my mind on V6 vs V8 dilemma.

OP
OP
accel

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
A lot of the GT350 stuff as well. I have the Gt350R springs, steering wheel, strut tower brace, soon to have the track pack spoiler which will all work on the V6 and most of it is reasonably priced.
Wow... that must be pretty cool performance upgrade.

Spykexx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Prem M6, 2019 Charger Scat Pack Plus
Yes... will need more testdrives. I am going to bring my wife to the next testdrive for a second opinion. Plus I expect her to drive the car once in a while.

SF hills do not scare mee at all. Whenever we have visitors I take them to Divisadero for the fun and views of driving over hills :)

As a matter of fact I liked Mustang having not "hill assist" feature that many modern MT cars have. I do much better without one.

Yes. Definitely I haven't made my mind on V6 vs V8 dilemma.
The mustang does have hill assist...
Sponsored