Using your R models carbon fiber wheels for HPDE events

stevezurga

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R.
I am getting ready to start doing some HPDE events in another month or so and was wondering what people’s experience was who used their R’s CF wheels on the track. I’m not really interested in investing in a new set of wheels at this particular point especially with all the complications I’m reading about concerning the lug nut issues on the R with aftermarket wheels, however I have read/heard some conflicting information on how bad the track can tear up your wheels and wanted to hear what other people’s experience was like using their CF on the track. Thanks in Advance!
Sponsored

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
If you keep your car on the pavement, it'll be fine. And you'll really like driving it!

dewmsEleanor

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Does anyone know if the CF wheels have gotten any cheaper or are they still clocking in about $10k for a set of 4? Also, where would be a good place to shop for these? I know carbon revolution was the manufacturer for the shelby's wheels.

One of the reasons I didn't get an R model initially was the idea I could get these wheels later, maybe at a lower price point.

mkonrad

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Oxford White
Vehicle Showcase
No, they still cost 10K, and that's unlikely to change much. Carbon Revolution does have some aftermarket wheels, but you'd be looking at Ford to buy the GT350R wheels and those prices are easily found. It's a judgment call whether it's a good cost to buy or not buy the R carbon wheels, but the results are pretty clear that light, strong wheels are great. One of Ford's test drivers here posted a few articles on how valuable they are - the numbers are pretty convincing.

The primary advantage of forged wheels is you can get a custom fitment, rotate them, set your own width. Drop a wheel off track and you can damage a wheel just like you could on the street. So far, I've damaged more wheels on the street than the track, but it's not zero on the track either. YMMV.

I've never found compelling aftermarket carbon fiber wheels, so I'd equate Carbon Revolution = GT350R.

Sponsored

dewmsEleanor

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
@mkonrad Thanks for the information. I did a rudimentary search and these seem to be hard to find. Even the Ford Performance website didn't have them listed. I'm going to keep looking, I'm sure I will find them somewhere, plus the dealership is down the r, I could at the very least use them to point me in the right direction.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
10K for a set of 4? Maybe used, but you are looking at 5K per wheel street price if you buy them new (closer to 20K for the set before tires).

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
@mkonrad Thanks for the information. I did a rudimentary search and these seem to be hard to find. Even the Ford Performance website didn't have them listed. I'm going to keep looking, I'm sure I will find them somewhere, plus the dealership is down the r, I could at the very least use them to point me in the right direction.
You have to search by Ford part number. FR3Z-1007-S for each rear, and FR3Z-1007-R for each front. The prices fluctuate a bit based on availability of wheels from Carbon Revolution, but are still over $3k a wheel. There was a time when they had gotten down to around $2500 a wheel. Many of us who bought R's did so because the cost of the set of wheels was more than the additional cost of the R. Otherwise you'd see a bunch of standard GT350's running R wheels.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
You have to search by Ford part number. FR3Z-1007-S for each rear, and FR3Z-1007-R for each front. The prices fluctuate a bit based on availability of wheels from Carbon Revolution, but are still over $3k a wheel. There was a time when they had gotten down to around $2500 a wheel. Many of us who bought R's did so because the cost of the set of wheels was more than the additional cost of the R. Otherwise you'd see a bunch of standard GT350's running R wheels.
That's actually not TERRIBLE...but still scary expensive.

Sponsored

svassh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R Performance Blue Metallic
Does anyone know if the CF wheels have gotten any cheaper or are they still clocking in about $10k for a set of 4? Also, where would be a good place to shop for these? I know carbon revolution was the manufacturer for the shelby's wheels.

One of the reasons I didn't get an R model initially was the idea I could get these wheels later, maybe at a lower price point.
There is a nice set of CF wheels for sale in the classifieds by a well known member....@lightrules

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/oem-gt350r-carbon-fiber-wheels-complete-set.122919/

mkonrad

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Oxford White
Vehicle Showcase
Last time I looked at the cost was in 2017 or so, and I know they were $2600 and $2300 at the time. But Ford increased the price in 2018 - maybe too many people were buying them? No idea, but I never cared much :) Dated information.

If Tom says $5K, it's $5K.

dewmsEleanor

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Last time I looked at the cost was in 2017 or so, and I know they were $2600 and $2300 at the time. But Ford increased the price in 2018 - maybe too many people were buying them? No idea, but I never cared much :) Dated information.

If Tom says $5K, it's $5K.
Supply and demand I guess. i also made an assumption that the extra 10/12k on msrp when I was shopping was the price difference of the wheels. So maybe it would have been good then to get em. I was hoping to avoid interest rate tacked onto the car loan and get them interest free after the fact. Sneaky Ford haha.
Sponsored