used GT350 Purchase (40-50k range)

OP
OP

porterror

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
If you’re under the ideology that a mass produced S550 GT350 will net you big dollars, then maybe, just maybe if you’re lucky (and alive) in another 50-75 years you might break even over MSRP (or for those that paid MSRP+ADM) or make a few bucks and change...
O no! I only look for smallest deprecation curve over the band of 2-3 years before I buy. This isn't a long term investment, which is a horrible idea (I 100% agree the only ford is the GT). My previous cars have been 997 series 911s, lotus exige and my wrangler. All owned for only 2-3 years max and sold for minimal loss/gain. I'm really only looking to net $0 or stay within a 5-10% loss over 2-3 years and have the most fun with the car. The 16 GT350 @ 35k-40k seems like it might fit that bid...I've already test drove one and it definitely fits the bid for fun.
Sponsored

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I'm also shopping right now and have no fantasies about this being an "investment" vehicle that will hold it's value.. This is a car that is meant to be driven (where have I heard that before? ...:rockon: ) and enjoyed. The lure of the voodoo and the reviews that keep coming out about this car is what has me committed to finding one.
As far as pricing goes.. the 17-18's are readily available for under or around 50k... 19's seem to be holding their value- even with 2020's coming out, although I did find one priced at 52k (recaro seats, base) on cars.com. Good luck in your search

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
You can also look for a CPO car that comes with extended warranty and better interest rates.

The issue I found with several of the online "deals" at a dealership were the extra items they want to add to the final price. Some were negotiable and some were not, so make sure you ask all the right questions up front before getting "invested" in the car.

During my search, I also found several Ford Buy Backs with engine replacements. They were typically $5K less than other similar year/mileage cars, so that was the red flag. I did not want an engine replacement car because of the issues reported on this forum. I also did not want a Lemon Law titled car.

In the end, I bought mine from a private seller who was the original owner. Since i bought it directly from him, I have all the owners supplemental with the paperwork, books and numbered crankshaft sitting on my shelf. :sunglasses:

Since I do not plan to tune the car, I will buy the lowest mileage ESP from Flood Ford before the factory warranty runs out.
i dont see an issue with getting a 17/18 "buyback" that now has a gen 2 voodoo in it.
mine is actually a 17 that had a new replacement when i bought it. but with 100k mile power train im happy with the upgrade

TxGT350-52

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lead Foot, 2021 Diesel Tremor CG
i dont see an issue with getting a 17/18 "buyback" that now has a gen 2 voodoo in it.
mine is actually a 17 that had a new replacement when i bought it. but with 100k mile power train im happy with the upgrade
Does yours have a lemon law title or is the engine replacement noted in the CarFax report? Just curious.

If you got a good deal and a 100K power train warranty, then you are good to go. The two dealers I talked to about Ford Buy Back Engine Replacement cars would not offer me anything more than the 12 mth / 12,000 mile warranty that is standard with all Buy Backs. Since they were both 2018s with more than 12 months remaining, it meant they were offering me zero. They both would have gladly SOLD me a longer warranty.

I also read some of the stories about guys who continue to have gremlins with their engine replacement cars, so I chose to avoid them. It is good to hear yours is working as expected.

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
What's the bare-bones buyer's guide to this car?
  • 2015 models - pretty rare.
  • 2016 models - either tech or track pack, not both. A few base cars without Magneride also.
  • 2017+ models - all cars come with track pack now.
  • 2017+ models built on/after Feb 2017 - have cartridge style instead of spin-on canister style oil filter.
  • 2018+ models built on/after ??? 2018 - have stronger GT500 engine block.
If you know someone with access and you have a VIN, I'd get them to pull an Oasis report to see if it's had any warranty work done.

Also, if you can find one, get a CPO car. 7yr/100k powertrain warranty is nice peace of mind.

Sponsored

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
What changed on the engine for 2019?

The only changes I was aware of were:
2017 Track Pack hardware became standard (so for a 2016, I would have to make sure it had the track pack).
2019 changed spring rates, shocks (programming only?), Cup 2 tires, added optional camber plates in the handling package, and went from Shaker to Bang and Olfsen as the provider of the upgrade (Tech pack?) stereo.

Also at least 1 change in rear spoiler, but I am not clear on when that happened. 2019 Handling package option is supposed to add a gurney to the spoiler.

Last edited:

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
What changed on the engine for 2019?

The only changes I was aware of were:
2017 Track Pack hardware became standard (so for a 2016, I would have to make sure it had the track pack).
2019 changed spring rates, shocks (programming only?), Cup 2 tires, added optional camber plates in the handling package, and went from Shaker to Bang and Olfsen as the provider of the upgrade (Tech pack?) stereo.

Also at least 1 change in rear spoiler, but I am not clear on when that happened. 2019 Handling package option is supposed to add a gurney to the spoiler.
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/gt350-will-live-past-2019-with-gt500-engine-block.115962/

OP
OP

porterror

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What's the bare-bones buyer's guide to this car?
  • 2015 models - pretty rare.
  • 2016 models - either tech or track pack, not both. A few base cars without Magneride also.
  • 2017+ models - all cars come with track pack now.
  • 2017+ models built on/after Feb 2017 - have cartridge style instead of spin-on canister style oil filter.
  • 2018+ models built on/after ??? 2018 - have stronger GT500 engine block.
If you know someone with access and you have a VIN, I'd get them to pull an Oasis report to see if it's had any warranty work done.

Also, if you can find one, get a CPO car. 7yr/100k powertrain warranty is nice peace of mind.
I thought the stronger block was in the 2019+ not the 2018.

OP
OP

porterror

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm also shopping right now and have no fantasies about this being an "investment" vehicle that will hold it's value.. This is a car that is meant to be driven (where have I heard that before? ...:rockon: ) and enjoyed. The lure of the voodoo and the reviews that keep coming out about this car is what has me committed to finding one.
As far as pricing goes.. the 17-18's are readily available for under or around 50k... 19's seem to be holding their value- even with 2020's coming out, although I did find one priced at 52k (recaro seats, base) on cars.com. Good luck in your search
sorry still clarifying this in the thread. no fantasy here that it will be an "long term investment" car. I'm looking at 3 year curve of depreciation and trying to find the best money spent over 2-3 years. Like my previous cars i'm almost netting zero on buy/selling cars in the 2-3 year hold rate. People seem confused. Whatever car i'm buying I'm selling in 2-3 years and want lowest cost of ownership over that time frame, not "long term".

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
I thought the stronger block was in the 2019+ not the 2018.
I remember reading somewhere that some late production 18 cars got it as well, but the 2019MY cars definitely have it.

That's why I put the question marks.

Sponsored

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I thought all the GT350 engine problems were oil pump and oil consumption related? Not broken blocks (despite a number of people with supercharged or turbo changed engines with the stock, high compression long block). So I don't see how getting a later car helps that issue.

PS - I am also looking at used GT350's.

OP
OP

porterror

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I thought all the GT350 engine problems were oil pump and oil consumption related? Not broken blocks (despite a number of people with supercharged or turbo changed engines with the stock, high compression long block). So I don't see how getting a later car helps that issue.

Honestly not sure about the exact issue. I just know the repair, replace the entire engine with a 2019+ engine. Wouldn't think they would do that for oil pump issue.

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350

There are a few that blame some of the oil consumption issues on the PTWA cylinder liners.

Remains to be seen if the new block is a cure for anything - I didn't make any claims either way.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro

Ford changed the piston and ring designs in 2019 and you can't purchase the original Voodoo pistons or rings any more - according to someone on here. I have seen on here at least one case where the dealer was allowed to troubleshoot an early engine that consumed oil and the piston rings were deformed in that engine.
Sponsored